Schwalbe Marathon Plus Failure

Old August 21st 08, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Default Schwalbe Marathon Plus Failure

Matt wrote:
Cycling home the other evening I suddenly experienced a front tyre
deflation. This is partcularly un nerving on the bent and even more
so when you're in the feeder lane on to the A3!

Still made it to the verge to rectify what I assumed was just a normal
puncture caused by road debris.

When I removed the tyre I found a long strand of thin metal wire had
come lose inside the tyre and the end of this had punctured the tube.
At first I thought that somehow this wire had worked its way into the
tyre from the road - although a couple of seconds thought made me
realise how ridiculous this was. What appears to have happened is
the metal strengthening in the bead of the tyre had become uncovered.
I am naive enough to not even realise cycle tyres had steel beads!

That's true of all normal non-folding tyres, and that's why they don't
collapse when you remove them from the wheel. Folding tyres have floppy
kevlar beads.

I've not used a lot of Schwalbe tyres but this seems a very unusual
failure. Has anyone elese experienced this sort of thing with a
Schwalbe or any other make?

It's quite a common failure with various tyres for the sidewall to split
(under-inflation is one cause of this), but I've not heard of a bead
separating without the sidewall failing.

You could try getting a refund if you bought the tyre not too long ago.

~PB

Old August 21st 08, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt[_5_]

[...]

It proved quite tricky to break the wire so as I could replace the tyre and
minimise the risk of re puncture from a sharp wire stub. Unfortunately I
didn't think to photograph the failure in all its glory.

I'm guessing the tyre is useless now so have ordered another.

Matt

By the way no less than 4 cyclists passing by my stricken machine checked I
was OK - one even offered me a spare tube. Restores your faith....

Old August 21st 08, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

Pete Biggs wrote:
Matt wrote:

I've not used a lot of Schwalbe tyres but this seems a very unusual
failure. Has anyone elese experienced this sort of thing with a
Schwalbe or any other make?

I have never seen this in any tyre I have owned.

It's quite a common failure with various tyres for the sidewall to split
(under-inflation is one cause of this), but I've not heard of a bead
separating without the sidewall failing.

You could try getting a refund if you bought the tyre not too long ago.

If the tyre is in good condition (apart from this failure), then I would
expect a refund, if not from the shop then send it make to the
manufacturers

Martin.
Old August 22nd 08, 02:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Aug 22, 9:03 am, Phil W Lee phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk
wrote:

I've learned several things from the experience:
1) carry an old toothpaste tube in the repair kit, with the ends cut
off to save space.

I've mentioned it before, but a section of a tyvek envelope sounds
more suitable than a toothpaste tube, and has saved a couple of rides
for us (including 60 miles on a fully laden tandem). It is really
tough stuff, but very easy to use.

James
Old August 22nd 08, 04:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wrote:

I've learned several things from the experience:
1) carry an old toothpaste tube in the repair kit, with the ends cut
off to save space.

I've mentioned it before, but a section of a tyvek envelope sounds
more suitable than a toothpaste tube, and has saved a couple of rides
for us (including 60 miles on a fully laden tandem). It is really
tough stuff, but very easy to use.

These sound like fine kludges. I thought I would mention
that I have repaired a mountain bike tyre that
had the bead seperate due to brake block abrasion,
by stiching it with ordinary needle and thread obtained
from a nearby hotel. As far as I am aware (not my bike)
the tyre perfomed flawlessly for the rest of the day. Of course
the pressure was lower than that typical in a road tyre so I would
suppose that any tyre distorsion would be less.

Old August 22nd 08, 06:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_2_]

Matt wrote:
Cycling home the other evening I suddenly experienced a front tyre
deflation. This is partcularly un nerving on the bent and even more so when
you're in the feeder lane on to the A3!

Still made it to the verge to rectify what I assumed was just a normal
puncture caused by road debris.

When I removed the tyre I found a long strand of thin metal wire had come
lose inside the tyre and the end of this had punctured the tube. At first I
thought that somehow this wire had worked its way into the tyre from the
road - although a couple of seconds thought made me realise how ridiculous
this was. What appears to have happened is the metal strengthening in the
bead of the tyre had become uncovered. I am naive enough to not even
realise cycle tyres had steel beads!

snip

That's interesting, mate of mine had one go exactly the same way about 3
months ago. Would seem to me Schwalbe should tidy up their quality
control. I hope this isn't symptomatic cos I love those tyres for
commuting and mind will get replaced in the spring.

Btw, if you have the receipt, I'd say its a deffo replacement job.
Old August 22nd 08, 07:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Garry from Cork

A friend of mine had NINE yes NINE punctures on a day while
cycletouring in Spain a few years ago. We were riding separately for
the day. I diagnosed an exposed wire, just as you describe. I always
carry bits of canvas and glued one over it. End of problem. Still have
bits of canvas tape from old tubular tyres from 15+ years ago!

Schwalbe Marathon 700x32c - Failure/tear?? HELP! Colin UK 5 June 1st 08 11:03 PM
Schwalbe Marathon Just zis Guy, you know? UK 7 May 7th 08 06:47 PM
Schwalbe Marathon Plus - ouch dgk General 23 February 1st 08 01:58 PM
Schwalbe: Marathon+ or XR sothach UK 6 October 29th 05 07:15 PM
Schwalbe Marathon XR: Yay or Nay? Brian UK 8 November 22nd 04 08:05 PM