Bicycling specific clothing = why not?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 15th 19, 02:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Bicycling specific clothing = why not?

On 7/14/2019 9:30 PM, James wrote:
On 11/7/19 10:30 pm, news18 wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 16:00:38 +1000, James wrote:

(In most of Australia it is a legal requirement to wear a
helmet. That
in itself could be said to be a change to what you're
wearing.)

Unless you've just been up a ladder.
Bacxkground; men over 60 feature significantly in deaths
from falling off
a ladder in Australia and I consider a bicycle helment of
better use than
those plastic "construction hats".

A fellow died when he crashed his bicycle in Newcastle, NSW
recently. He was wearing a bicycle helmet at the time. He
crashed negotiating, fairly recently installed, tram tracks
(street car tracks). The helmet didn't prevent the fatal
head injury that killed him.

AFAIK, plastic construction hats are more for offering some
protection from falling objects, rather than the person
falling and landing on their head.

I assume we can all agree that below some impact level a
helmet would not be necessary and above some level you're
dead anyway.

What we don't know are those limits and how significant the
effective range is to the set of all crashes, considering
both range of impact force and frequency at those values.

The testing protocol seems not very relevant to the real
world IMHO but I don't know that.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/