Klein vs. Trek

Old September 25th 03, 11:31 PM
Lester Long

Default Klein vs. Trek

My wife just joined a racing team and we're considering either the 2004 Trek
5200 or 2004 Klein Q-Pro XV. They are both similarly priced, and both will
be available end of October. Both use Shimano Ultegra components, and both
use Bontrager Race Lite wheels.

Which bike would you choose?

Thanks in advance,
Lester
PS: Some specs below:

KLEIN

sizes 49cm, 52cm, 54cm, 56cm, 58cm, 61cm
color Silver Storm
frame material Gradient ZR9000 w/Carbon Wishbone
msrp (usd) $2,619.99 (Double) | $2,649.99 (Triple)
fork Klein Aeros 110GSM Carbon
headset Klein Airheadset
rear shock N/A
crankset Ultegra 53/39
bottom bracket Shimano 105
deraileurs (f/r) Shimano Ultegra
shifters Shimano Ultegra STI
chain Shimano HG-93
wheel system Bontrager Race Lite Road
tires Bontrager Race X-Lite 700x23C
cassette Shimano Ultegra, 12-25, 9 speed
brakes Shimano Ultegra
brake levers Shimano Ultegra STI
handlebars Bontrager Flat-top Race Lite road
stem Race Lite 31.8 Stem
seatpost Race 5mm-offset seatpost 31.6 x 250
saddle San Marco Era Luxe, CrMo/leather
grips/tape Bontrager Gel Tape

TREK
FRAME OCLV 120 Carbon

FORK Bontrager Race Lite

WHEELS Bontrager Race Lite

DRIVETRAIN:
crankset Shimano Ultegra 53/39 or 52/42/30
rear derailleur Shimano Ultegra

SIZES 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 62cm

COLORS Nude Carbon, Nude Pearl/Baja Blue (Team)

Advertised Retail $2,749.99*

Old September 25th 03, 11:36 PM
Mike S.

"Lester Long" wrote in message
ink.net...
My wife just joined a racing team and we're considering either the 2004

Trek
5200 or 2004 Klein Q-Pro XV. They are both similarly priced, and both

will
be available end of October. Both use Shimano Ultegra components, and

both
use Bontrager Race Lite wheels.

Which bike would you choose?

Thanks in advance,
Lester
PS: Some specs below:

The one that fits.

Mike

Old September 25th 03, 11:42 PM
Lester Long

"Mike S." mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet wrote in message
"Lester Long" wrote in message
ink.net...
My wife just joined a racing team and we're considering either the 2004

Trek
5200 or 2004 Klein Q-Pro XV. They are both similarly priced, and both

will
be available end of October. Both use Shimano Ultegra components, and

both
use Bontrager Race Lite wheels.

Which bike would you choose?

Thanks in advance,
Lester
PS: Some specs below:

The one that fits.

Mike

Can't they both be made to fit?

Lester

Old September 26th 03, 12:37 AM
Nick Burns

"Lester Long" wrote in message

The one that fits.

Mike

Can't they both be made to fit?

Lester

He is right, fit is first. They both are just as likely to be fit correctly.
They are both excellent, but as much as I love Klein, I think the Trek makes
a slightly better bike, especially for an "only bike", or a first bike.
(BTW, get a frame with Campagnolo and your own choice of wheels. It will
cost less in the long run and will weigh less, if that is important and I
assume it is if you looked at those 2 bikes).

Anyhow, there are just a few niggling issues with the Klein compared to the
Trek. The Trek is more tolerant to impact damage (crashes or accidents
during transport and storage). The aluminum is so thin in spots, it was a
constantly a concern when putting on racks, etc. The plastic frame on the
Trek is a lot more durable in those situations and I think makes an
excellent work horse race bike. If there are no sponsorship considerations
and you can "live without" aluminum (some claim they can't) then I think you
will be happier in the long run with the Trek. The only case that would not
be true would be if you really fell in love with the Klein paint and finish,
which is quite a bit nicer than the Trek. (This may no longer be true now
that Trek produces them). You may have a favorite paint scheme and if you
are willing to be careful with ding exposure and the quirky drop-outs, then
it is still a great bike. Just take it for a test ride and change the rear
wheel a bunch of times to be sure you can deal with it.

Have fun. They are both great frames. I once was in a spot of bother when I
had to replace a stolen 5 year old Klein and I ended up opting with the Trek
simply because it had Campy (I could not wait for a build) and discovered
the positive attributes as discussed. I also found the comfort to stiffness
ration better but that brings tire size, pressure and wheels in to play.

Old September 26th 03, 03:05 AM
Steven Bornfeld

Lester Long wrote:
My wife just joined a racing team and we're considering either the 2004 Trek
5200 or 2004 Klein Q-Pro XV. They are both similarly priced, and both will
be available end of October. Both use Shimano Ultegra components, and both
use Bontrager Race Lite wheels.

Which bike would you choose?

Thanks in advance,
Lester
PS: Some specs below:

Best to Hannah!

The replies about fit are correct. The tough part is the criteria used
for setup.
I wanted to look like Lemond on the bike. This required a really
stretched out position on the bike. My arms are long relative to my
legs, so (since I had a stock frame) I needed a long stem. This gave me
a decent setup, but put my weight relatively far forward, which wasn't
the best for fast downhills. What I needed was a frame with a longer
top tube, but I didn't care enough to get a custom frame.
Anyhow, I never got to be Lemond. But the really stretched out
position probably contributed to the neck problems I have now.
Just make sure she's set up comfortably on whatever she chooses. She
should also be prepared to tweak the setup periodically as she gets more
experienced and learns what works for her.

Steve

Old September 26th 03, 04:56 AM
Corey Green

"Lester Long" wrote in message ink.net...
"Mike S." mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet wrote in message
"Lester Long" wrote in message
ink.net...
My wife just joined a racing team and we're considering either the 2004

Trek
5200 or 2004 Klein Q-Pro XV. They are both similarly priced, and both

will
be available end of October. Both use Shimano Ultegra components, and

both
use Bontrager Race Lite wheels.

Which bike would you choose?

Thanks in advance,
Lester
PS: Some specs below:

The one that fits.

Mike

Can't they both be made to fit?

Lester

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on a lot of factors.

Does she have a road bike she is riding now?
If so, does she like the way it rides?
If not, what would she change about the way it rides?

This is just the start of what you should be asking your wife before
purchasing a new bike. You can get a lot of opinions on this
newsgroup, but the only one that matters is the one your wife has
after spending countless hours in the saddle riding.

You can force fit almost any bike to make it work, but that doesn't
represent the best solution.
Old September 26th 03, 05:03 AM
Nick Burns

"Corey Green" wrote in message

You can force fit almost any bike to make it work, but that doesn't
represent the best solution.

Speaking of fit, don't forget to look at the WSD models from Trek (that
might be the wrong acronym, because I think it is "Women's Specific Fit" but
maybe it is "Dimensions") that are not available from Klein. If these are a
better fit, then that is a definite advantage for the Treks. BUT, I do not
know if the OCLV WSDs are out yet so check with your dealer about what is
available if your wife will be better served by those sizes.

Old September 26th 03, 07:03 AM
patch70

If I remember correctly, aren't Klein & Trek made by the same people? If
so, the geometry is unlikely to be very different. Thus, go with the one
you find more comfortable.

Old September 26th 03, 08:38 AM
Donald Munro

Mike S. wrote:
The one that fits.

Lester Long wrote:
Can't they both be made to fit?

The Trek geometry has a rather long top tube so if your body geometry
includes a short torso and long legs then the Trek might not be the best
bet.

Old September 26th 03, 03:24 PM
RK

patch70 wrote in message ...
If I remember correctly, aren't Klein & Trek made by the same people? If
so, the geometry is unlikely to be very different. Thus, go with the one
you find more comfortable.

Lemonds are made by Trek, and the geometry is very different -- longer
top-tube, more seattube setback, to accomodate the longer femur that
professional racers tend to have.

Please abuse me (I like a klein) Monique Y. Mudama Mountain Biking 72 June 8th 04 05:45 PM
shady trek dealings Ryan Fisher General 14 February 21st 04 11:08 PM
Klein vs. Trek Road Bike Mike General 8 February 12th 04 07:36 AM
Rear disc brake on 2001 Klein Attitude? Rocketman Mountain Biking 7 January 9th 04 10:18 PM
which Trek to get? help Mountain Biking 4 August 9th 03 08:52 PM