Evening Standard

Old April 30th 07, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

Default Evening Standard

The whole front page page of the Evening Standard, a three page internal
spread and an editorial are devoted today to the launch of their
campaign for safer and more cycling in London.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell
Old April 30th 07, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
_[_2_]

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:57:46 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:

The whole front page page of the Evening Standard, a three page internal
spread and an editorial are devoted today to the launch of their
campaign for safer and more cycling in London.

A good chance for a letter to the editors, pointing out the prblems with
the upcoming Highway Code changes, and a mention of the grass-roots
(newspapers *love* to think their readers have initiative) campaign to
persuade MP's to ask questions about them. Should somone writing such a
letter also quote a brush-off reply from their MP, so much the better...
Old April 30th 07, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

wrote:

The whole front page page of the Evening Standard, a three page internal
spread and an editorial are devoted today to the launch of their
campaign for safer and more cycling in London.

I heard it on good authority on Friday that the ES was going to launch
an anti-cycling campaign today.

Clearly my 'good authority' was not up to much.
Old April 30th 07, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wrote:
The whole front page page of the Evening Standard, a three page internal
spread and an editorial are devoted today to the launch of their
campaign for safer and more cycling in London.

I heard it on good authority on Friday that the ES was going to launch
an anti-cycling campaign today.

Clearly my 'good authority' was not up to much.

A cynic might say that your authority had perhaps
heard that there was to be a "cycling" campaign,
What other kind could there possibly be?

Old May 1st 07, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

On 30 Apr, 22:46, wrote:

wrote:
The whole front page page of the Evening Standard, a three page internal
spread and an editorial are devoted today to the launch of their
campaign for safer and more cycling in London.

I heard it on good authority on Friday that the ES was going to launch
an anti-cycling campaign today.

Clearly my 'good authority' was not up to much.

A cynic might say that your authority had perhaps
heard that there was to be a "cycling" campaign,
What other kind could there possibly be?

Overall a pretty good piece. I'm so used to reading anti-cyclist
drivel in this rag that the cynical side of me asks what's in it for
them?

400,000 London cyclists?

Letters page may be interesting today.

If the coverage gets the average cabbie, lorry driver or bod on the
tube actually thinking about cycling and cyclists then it's a good
thing. Perhaps a campaign against speeding or using a mobile could run
concurrently, or articles that make people aware that the same legal
sanction that apply to red light jumping also applies to driving into
an ASL.

Meanwhile, over at the Torygraph, gorgeous pouting Erin Baker's
bothering her pretty little head about cyclists again:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/motorin...htm?cmd=thanks