Bicycle statistics

Old May 31st 19, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Bicycle statistics

I found some interesting info here. They do not list the percentage of those wearing helmets who died.

Looks like those bike lanes are fairly safe.

Andy

https://helmets.org/stats.htm

Highlights of US statistics available from the US Department of Transportation Based on 2015 data. (released in June, 2017 and still the most recent).

818 bicyclists died on US roads in 2015, an increase of 12.2 per cent and the highest number since 1995. (It was 1,003 back in 1975)

45,000 bicyclists were injured in traffic 1n 2015, down 10 per cent from 50,000 in 2014 (52,000 in 2010)

37 Bicyclists 14 and under (7% of total) were killed in 2015. 5,000 were injured.

Average age of a bicyclist killed on US roads: 45 (36 in 2002)

Males killed 87%. Males injured 83%.

70% of fatal crashes were urban. 61% were not at intersections.
3% were in bike lanes.

Fatalities were about half during daylight hours.

Bicyclist deaths represented 2.3% of all 2015 traffic fatalities.

27% of the cyclists killed had been drinking. (Blood alcohol over .01 g/dl) 37% of the crashes involved either driver or cyclist drinking.
Old May 31st 19, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Friday, May 31, 2019 at 12:48:36 PM UTC-7, AK wrote:
[...]

Frank or someone said that the largest loss of life is at T-intersections. So I've been observing cars there. If I stop at a stop light at a T-intersection cars turning onto the top of the T might take up two lanes and the bike lane. If I proceed as if I had right-of-way they would turn much slower and turn into the inside lane as is proper.

Now, I can imagine that you might cross and be just clearing the other side and some horse's ass tries to beat the yellow at high speed and you become a statistic.
Old June 1st 19, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, May 31, 2019 at 2:48:36 PM UTC-5, AK wrote:

Average age of a bicyclist killed on US roads: 45 (36 in 2002)

Disregarding the "killed" part, this brings up a question about the demographics of bicycling today. Are all bicyclists getting older? Is bicycling becoming an older person activity? Are youngsters not taking up cycling? I have friends with children in the late teens and 20s age groups. Some of the kids do ride bikes. But others, their kids do not ride. Yet they ride lots and lots. I know on this forum some people say their children or one child does ride. But how many on this forum have children who do not ride ever? Yet they do.
Old June 1st 19, 11:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 2:22:45 AM UTC+2, wrote:
On Friday, May 31, 2019 at 2:48:36 PM UTC-5, AK wrote:

Average age of a bicyclist killed on US roads: 45 (36 in 2002)

Disregarding the "killed" part, this brings up a question about the demographics of bicycling today. Are all bicyclists getting older? Is bicycling becoming an older person activity? Are youngsters not taking up cycling? I have friends with children in the late teens and 20s age groups. Some of the kids do ride bikes. But others, their kids do not ride. Yet they ride lots and lots. I know on this forum some people say their children or one child does ride. But how many on this forum have children who do not ride ever? Yet they do.

All kids in the Netherlands ride a bicycle at least up to 18 years when they allowed to drive a car. Most of the times they can't affort a car at that age so the ride until they earn some money. After that they only ride recreational or when it is more practical/faster.

Lou
Old June 1st 19, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 6/1/2019 3:02 AM, wrote:
[...]

"Back in my day" we didn't get driven around everywhere, it was just
unthinkable that we would even ask to be driven somewhere fairly close
to our homes. We rode our bikes. Maybe if it was pouring rain our
parents would drive us. The times I was driven to elementary school,
about four blocks away were rare.

In the city I'm in now, it's extremely rare for an elementary school
student to ride a bike to school. It's still fairly common in middle
school and high school, but not at the level it should be. Traffic
around schools is insane─even though most students could walk or ride a
bike, they are driven, and sometimes it's only one block.

Old June 1st 19, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 9:42:59 AM UTC-5, sms wrote:
On 6/1/2019 3:02 AM, wrote:
[...]

I'm not really talking about "kids" riding bikes during elementary, middle, or high school. I mean young adults. Or "kids" as I think of them, unfortunately. Younger people. Is bicycling, recreational, fun bicycling, becoming an older and older person activity? Are fewer and fewer young people doing the activity? Thus making the average age of the cyclist older and older.
Old June 2nd 19, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

I think that's the case, sadly. I think a huge chunk of American's
dedicated cyclists are still the ones that took it up during the early
1970s "bike boom" when it was trendy. (Fashion is powerful.) Those
people are now in their 60s, perhaps 70s.

It's not 100%, of course. We have a new young couple living next door
and they've got some very nice road bikes. OTOH, they have a new little
kid, so they won't be doing a lot of riding for a while.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 2nd 19, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:
[...]

I've heard it said that perception equals reality. Many people where I live think that bicycling is far too dangerous for them to try. Why that is is beyond me since those people don't read magazines or newsgroups. They perceive that bicycling is dangerous and thus do not engage in it nor do they let their children engage in it. Also, I've read that many schools do NOT allow children to bicycle to school. That further discourages parents to allow their child to bicycle. Then there is the phenomena of parents feeling that children can't go anywhere unsupervised ie "Helicopter Parenting".

With all the Danger! Danger! thinking about bicycling it's a wonder that anyone takes it up these days.

Btw, I find it far safer to ride my bicycle on a plowed road in winter than I do walking on the snow and ice on the sidewalks.

Cheers
Old June 2nd 19, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

I see young kids riding. Teens too. Plenty of bikes at schools as well.The percentage is lower than when I was growing up.
Old June 2nd 19, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Andy wrote:
I see young kids riding. Teens too. Plenty of bikes at schools as
well.The percentage is lower than when I was growing up.

Same here. But when I was growing up there were not so many soccer moms.
The typical scenario was a 1 car family with the husband taking the car to
work and the wife taking care of the house and kids. It was certainly
like that for my family and most of our friends. So you had the choice to
walk or ride a bike.

I’m not saying the old days were better. They were not. Just different.
Now it takes more incentive to get kids on bikes. Once they put in some
bike paths from our neighbourhood to the elementary school the kids stated
riding to school. They still do. I past some of the path on my ride to
work. I don’t take it, partially because it’s crowded with kids.
“Advocates” can complain that it instills a sense of danger around cycling
but the fact is that most parents aren’t sending their 8 year olds into
traffic.

--
duane

accident statistics: car vs motorcycle vs bicycle per mile travelled? [email protected] General 15 June 11th 08 03:27 AM
Bridge Statistics _[_2_] UK 7 September 10th 07 02:47 PM
Bridge Statistics _[_2_] UK 4 September 4th 07 11:01 PM
Where are those statistics? bob UK 15 August 30th 07 12:31 PM
Bicycle Injury Statistics [email protected] General 8 August 1st 06 07:33 AM