Were Suntour TRIPLE pulley derailleurs only used with triple cranksets?

Old June 27th 19, 12:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Were Suntour TRIPLE pulley derailleurs only used with triple cranksets?

Looking at some old magazines and/or parts has me wondering about the Suntour Triple Pulley rear derailleurs. Were they designed to be used just with triple cranksets?

I suppose the idea behind that design was to have a short cage derailleur like performance when on the top two chainrings and then have that third pulley ake up the slack when using the inner third ring. I wonder why that design was dropped?

Cheers
Old June 27th 19, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/27/2019 6:55 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Looking at some old magazines and/or parts has me wondering about the Suntour Triple Pulley rear derailleurs. Were they designed to be used just with triple cranksets?

I suppose the idea behind that design was to have a short cage derailleur like performance when on the top two chainrings and then have that third pulley ake up the slack when using the inner third ring. I wonder why that design was dropped?

Cheers

Right.

Suntour had a hypercreativity problem in those years with
many just plain weird ideas (some of which worked out well.
But not all!)

The three-pulley XC used a standard spring/pivot from other
models with greater chain capacity. Works but not as well as
the competing 1984 Deore, albeit much better than anything
from Campagnolo in that era.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 27th 19, 02:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, June 27, 2019 at 8:37:59 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Thanks Andrew.

So they were designed and intended to be used with a triple crankset?

Cheers
Old June 27th 19, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/27/2019 8:35 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

To the extent that most triples require greater total chain
capacity yes.

Old June 27th 19, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Rear derailleurs are agnostic with regard to the number of chainrings. What matters is the size difference between the biggest and smallest, without regard to how many of them there are.

Front deraileurs can be sensitive to both the number of rings and their size intervals.
Old June 28th 19, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, June 27, 2019 at 1:05:36 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Thanks again Andrew.

Cheers