The Moral Threat of Bicycles in the 1890s: rock'n'roll deja vu?

Old June 6th 19, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default The Moral Threat of Bicycles in the 1890s: rock'n'roll deja vu?

The Moral Threat of Bicycles in the 1890s:
https://daily.jstor.org/the-moral-th...-in-the-1890s/

Does anyone remember preachers half a century later inveighing against rock'n'roll?

Andre Jute
Pulling the plug on a man's guitar is like pulling him off the job -- Chuck Berry on some clown who pulled the plug on him before he finished his gyrations
Old June 7th 19, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Andre Jute wrote:
The Moral Threat of Bicycles in the 1890s:
https://daily.jstor.org/the-moral-th...-in-the-1890s/

Does anyone remember preachers half a century later inveighing against rock'n'roll?

Ummm, Jimmy Swaggart and his cousin Jerry Lee Lewis spring to mind..

--
duane
Old June 7th 19, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 12:07:21 AM UTC+1, Duane wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
The Moral Threat of Bicycles in the 1890s:
https://daily.jstor.org/the-moral-th...-in-the-1890s/

Does anyone remember preachers half a century later inveighing against rock'n'roll?

Ummm, Jimmy Swaggart and his cousin Jerry Lee Lewis spring to mind..

You're right. Marrying your underage cousin, which Jerry Lee did, was considered statutory rape --and a ticket straight to the Hot Place.

Actually, I was thinking of less specific, non-legal complaints, like Elvis' hip-gyrations being too suggestive for the Vestry.

Obligatory bicycle content for the net-curtain twitchers: that was also the year, or the year before or after, that I rode the museum's penny-farthing in the parade and round the showgrounds.

Andre Jute
Pulling the plug on a man's guitar is like pulling him off the job --
Chuck Berry on some clown who pulled the plug on him before he finished his gyrations

--
duane

Andre Jute
Today we'd just be grateful that Jerry Lee actually married the girl
Old June 7th 19, 01:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Andre Jute wrote:
The Moral Threat of Bicycles in the 1890s:
https://daily.jstor.org/the-moral-th...-in-the-1890s/

Does anyone remember preachers half a century later inveighing against rock'n'roll?

Ummm, Jimmy Swaggart and his cousin Jerry Lee Lewis spring to mind..

You're right. Marrying your underage cousin, which Jerry Lee did, was considered statutory rape --and a ticket straight to the Hot Place.

Actually, I was thinking of less specific, non-legal complaints, like Elvis' hip-gyrations being too suggestive for the Vestry.

I seem to remember Swaggart on the news "preaching" against his cousin's
rock and roll life style being his road to ruin. That was before
Swaggart got caught with the hooker.

Old June 8th 19, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Andre Jute wrote:
The Moral Threat of Bicycles in the 1890s:
https://daily.jstor.org/the-moral-th...-in-the-1890s/

Does anyone remember preachers half a century later inveighing against rock'n'roll?

Ummm, Jimmy Swaggart and his cousin Jerry Lee Lewis spring to mind..

You're right. Marrying your underage cousin, which Jerry Lee did, was considered statutory rape --and a ticket straight to the Hot Place.

Actually, I was thinking of less specific, non-legal complaints, like Elvis' hip-gyrations being too suggestive for the Vestry.

I seem to remember Swaggart on the news "preaching" against his cousin's
rock and roll life style being his road to ruin. That was before
Swaggart got caught with the hooker.

A distinguished family!

Andre Jute
Some people's hypocrisy is just too funny not to laugh