BB standard

Old June 26th 19, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default BB standard

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 15:10:12 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
wrote:

John B. wrote:

:In fact you can even buy a pickup truck with an automatic
:transmission.

In the US, you can't buy a real working pickup with a manual. Some
toy showoff version was available with one, but not any more. i think
the midsized toyota is available iwtha manual.

I don't know about more recent pickups but my 10 year old Isuzu pickup
with automatic transmission is exactly the same engine, chassis,
suspension, body work, etc., as the manual shift model.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 26th 19, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 08:30:19 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 6/26/2019 8:10 AM, David Scheidt wrote:
John B. wrote:

:In fact you can even buy a pickup truck with an automatic
:transmission.

In the US, you can't buy a real working pickup with a manual. Some
toy showoff version was available with one, but not any more. i think
the midsized toyota is available iwtha manual.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2019/03/why-the-full-size-trucks-manual-transmission-is-dead.html

I'm going back 15 or 20 years now, but I worked in a copper mine, in
Irian Jaya, and the 50 ton dump trucks that hauled the ore from the
pit to the first crusher were Allison automatic transmission equipped,
and at least some of the buses that hauled the workers from the camp
site to the mine were also Allison equipped.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 27th 19, 01:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 12:00:54 AM UTC+1, John B. wrote:
the world is
changing and unless you keep up with it you are "stupid" in the sense
that you know less than someone with a more modern education.

Nonsense. The problem with a modern education (maybe not in engineering faculties though I don't know) is that everything is now a social justice problem, including pure math (!). The little social justice warriors that come from our (once) finest colleges aren't educated so much as made woke, not even suitable for social work. Some of the worst should have a couple of years as a parole officer to turn them into adults..

Andre Jute
Analytical thinking is now an "aggression"
Old June 27th 19, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/27/2019 7:10 AM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 12:00:54 AM UTC+1, John B. wrote:
the world is
changing and unless you keep up with it you are "stupid" in the sense
that you know less than someone with a more modern education.

Nonsense. The problem with a modern education (maybe not in engineering faculties though I don't know) is that everything is now a social justice problem, including pure math (!). The little social justice warriors that come from our (once) finest colleges aren't educated so much as made woke, not even suitable for social work. Some of the worst should have a couple of years as a parole officer to turn them into adults..

Andre Jute
Analytical thinking is now an "aggression"

+1

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 27th 19, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 27, 2019 at 3:13:38 PM UTC+2, sms wrote:
On 6/26/2019 2:26 PM, wrote:

snip

Huh? We are catching up. For audi's, bmw and mercedes automatic transmission is the norm now. I made the switch 5 years ago after 35 years driving cars with a manual transmission. Driving a manual transmission now seems something from the stone age compared to my current 7 speed automatic transmission with extra flappy paddles for manual shifting (rarely use them) and you can change the settings while driving. I see no reason today for manual shifting except for sentimental reasons and that it is cheaper (2000 -3000 euro's). Modern automatic transmission outperform manual shifting in every way, at least the one I'm driving now.

I was just over in Germany two weeks ago (Berlin) and I made a point of
looking for AT cars, peering in the windows. There were a few luxury
cars with automatics, but the vast majority of vehicles (VW, Skoda,
Toyota, Opel, Ford, etc.) were manual.

But they are all available with an AT but people,
- feel manly to stick shift,
- find AT too expensive,
- don't know what they are missing and think AT are still slow and sluggish..

If I simulate my manual shift from my driveway to the main road about 400 m away it would be:
r-1-2-3-2-Corner-3-4-2-speedbump-2-3-4-2-speedbump-3-4-2-corner to main road 15 manual shift in only 400 meter. Crazy. Automatic transmission: choose sport setting or leaving the default comfort setting R-D done!

I guess Honda has little presence in Germany and Austria, I saw only one
Honda, in a small town in Austria.

Yes Honda is very small here.

Lou

Old June 27th 19, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, June 27, 2019 at 1:47:46 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/26/2019 5:26 PM, wrote:
I see no reason today for manual shifting except for sentimental reasons and that it is cheaper (2000 -3000 euro's). Modern automatic transmission outperform manual shifting in every way, at least the one I'm driving now..

Here's my situation: We drive a Mazda 3. We have a tiny pop-up camping
trailer. It weighs only 750 pounds empty.

The Mazda's stated towing capacity is zero, although I've been told that
if I had bought the exact same vehicle in Europe, it's towing capacity
would be listed as 500 kg, which is plenty.

I put a trailer hitch on this car as soon as I got it, and we've towed
the trailer as far as Nova Scotia. I knew I was violating the warranty,
but I judged it worth the risk. If the car had an automatic
transmission, I don't know if I'd make that same judgement.

Why? Towing trailers in hilly terrain is a clutch killer, and typically cars with ATs have higher towing capacity than the same model with a MT because of the AT torque converter. I don't see why having a MT would make you feel more positive about towing -- particularly on a car that probably has a pretty low-torque first gear since it is just a family sedan and not a truck.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old June 28th 19, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 6/26/2019 5:26 PM, wrote:
[...]

True. And one of the reasons there are no manual transmission trucks
sold in the U.S. anymore. The only reason for a manual is off-road
driving in low gear. You can still buy a Jeep Wrangler with a manual, in
fact not sure if they even offer an automatic.

RBT/RBR writing standard datakoll Racing 0 July 31st 07 07:59 AM
Evening Standard Tony Raven[_2_] UK 4 May 1st 07 08:52 AM
Oh boy..... Another HS standard. Llatikcuf Techniques 9 June 24th 06 08:32 PM
One Standard for Jews...a Different Standard for the Rest of Us nitrous Racing 0 January 13th 05 05:55 AM
Sid Standard Davo UK 2 October 14th 03 08:45 PM