What do you find worse - dry heat or heat & humidity?

Old July 20th 19, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

Default What do you find worse - dry heat or heat & humidity?

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 10:25:14 +0700,
John B wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 22:39:11 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 09:47:51 +0700, John B.
wrote:

At Edwards, coming back from lunch, say 13:00, walking in
from the parking lot to the shop - maybe a hundred yards, you
didn't appear to sweat not at all. Of course you did sweat
but it evaporated so quickly that even your arm pits didn't
seem to be wet :-)

Last millenium, I went on many a ride where my first clue that
I'd been sweating was finding my face gritty with salt.

And other times .. . on one ride, my sweat shorted out my wrist
watch.

I remember climbing a hill and being both cold and sweaty. I
think the humidity was condensing on me.

Supposed to be 95 F tomorrow. I'm taking two bottles of tea,
starch-sugar-and-vinegar water to add to water picked up along
the way, and five sandwich bags of ice.

This will be my first group ride in twenty years.

The usually estimate is about between 27 ounces and 47 ounces
of water lost per hour when exercising. or what? 1.6 to 3 pints
per hour.

In hot humid weather in S. Thailand it was fairly common for me
to lose a kilogram in weight over a 2 - 3 hour ride even when
drinking 2.5 litres of water. -- cheers,

I weighed 195 this morning before riding, under 188 when I
finished--despite having consumed three bottles of water, a
banana, and a Clif bar. Of course it was a 4+ hour ride.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old July 20th 19, 11:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Well, you lost approximately 7 lbs, or 3.175 kg while ingesting
approximately 2.25 liters of drink (my bottles hold about 3/4 liter)
so your total weight loss during the ride was 3.175kg + 2.25 kg
(liters) of which you replaced 2.25 kg (liters).

I read that an average person sweats between 0.8 to 1.4 liters per
hour during exercise.

In your case your apparent sweat rate was about 1.35 liters per hour
which falls within the average ratings. while you intake was about
0.56 liters per hour.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 20th 19, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 8:56:58 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just wondering what others feel is worse. What do you think is worse, riding in a dry environment (desert) with 110F temperatures or riding in an area where the heat and humidity combine to give a temperature of 110F?

IO figure that at lest in t he desert sweat can evaporate and thus cool you but when there's really high humidity the sweat does NOT evaporate and thus you lose most of the cooling effect of sweating.

Opinions?

Cheer

I was today and have been last few days in Central Illinois. I go early at 5:40am but the dew point has been 75 degrees. Today was pretty bad I did 57 miles and drank about 40 ounces but then coming in I drank a quart right away. Since then I have put away at least another 2 quarts. Now I am having a beer. I must say though the if the sun is beating right on your body at 100 degrees or more that can be an issue. In my case this morning it not a case of sun baking you but just wet that does not go away.

The best thing to do is just be glad we got back and drink some beer it keeps the kidneys working right?

Deacon Mark
Old July 21st 19, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 6:44:52 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I recently bought a new GIRO helmet because my other one allowed sweat to run into my eyes almost constantly on these hot and humid days of humidex temperatures of 110+F.

I carry a lot of water and I drink constantly whilst riding. I have as Minoura water bottle cage mount that mounts on the handlebar and straddles the stem so that the bottle is in t he center. It's great and if I stick a large straw into the opening of the bottle (I use Powerade bottles for my water) I can sip water without having to move my hands from the handlebar.

On these hot and humid days riding on an open road without shade is akin to riding in a sauna. You sweat copious amounts but it does nothing to cool you down. In a way I prefer a lightweight cotton jersey because it can be soaked and will help cool you and it'll take a very long time for that jersey to dry out. The synthetic jerseys I have dry out within minutes if I soak them with water which is thus a waster of precious water.

I guess that high heat and a dry climate can cause heat exhaustion or heat stroke to sneak up on you if you don't realize how much water you're losing through sweating. Either heat and humidity or high heat and dry air means you need t o replenish those lost electrolytes too.

Take care when riding in any heat.

Cheers
Old July 21st 19, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 7:06:23 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Back when I was riding my longest distances with friends and family, I would set
the countdown alarm on my watch for continuous 10 minute intervals. Whenever it
beeped, I'd grab my water bottle and raise it high in the air as a reminder for
everyone to drink a swallow of water. It seemed to help on all long rides, and
it was invaluable on long hot rides.

I also learned that adding a small amount of table salt or "cardio salt" (salt
substitute) to the water helped quite a bit.

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 21st 19, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 7:28:03 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I put a bit of Half 'N' Half salt/potassium in a couple of my water bottles on my long hot rides. I always keep a couple of bottles just for unadulterated water in case I have to flush sweat from my eyes or give to someone else. Your body needs potassium in order to utilize the sodium.

Cheers
Old July 21st 19, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

wrote:

At Edwards, coming back from lunch, say 13:00, walking in from the
parking lot to the shop - maybe a hundred yards, you didn't appear to
sweat not at all. Of course you did sweat but it evaporated so quickly
that even your arm pits didn't seem to be wet :-)

Last millenium, I went on many a ride where my first clue that I'd
been sweating was finding my face gritty with salt.

And other times .. . on one ride, my sweat shorted out my wrist watch.

I remember climbing a hill and being both cold and sweaty. I think
the humidity was condensing on me.

Supposed to be 95 F tomorrow. I'm taking two bottles of tea,
starch-sugar-and-vinegar water to add to water picked up along the
way, and five sandwich bags of ice.

This will be my first group ride in twenty years.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Huzzah!
We will be hoping for a full report at rec.bicycles.rides or here.
Hope all goes well and that you don't get too irritated with having to wait for everyone to catch up all the time.

pH in Aptos, CA

We used to do a club ride down to Aptos but the price of the motel down there got so damned high that no one wanted to pay the price. Too bad. It was a nice ride from San Leandro.
Old July 21st 19, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pH

wrote:

[...]

That's a 'fur piece 'o' distance. I'm curious what route you used to get here...over to the coast and down, or some kind of threading through the santa cruz mountins?

Personal question: You mentioned recovering from a coma/concussion. Did you by chance write about the experience? I would be interested in reading what it was like if you don't mind if there's a webblog. Weird dreams? How did awareness come back, things like that. (this is tangentially bike-related since I'm guessing it was a bike accident)
pH in Aptos
Old July 21st 19, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

The most direct route -- not the most scenic -- for TK is the way I used to go to Aptos from SJ: ride straight south to Los Gatos, go up around Lexington reservoir, hit old Santa Cruz HWY, Summit and then down SJ Soquel road into Aptos. I had friends over there and use to ride that route a lot. I really miss the smell of the SC mountains. Great riding. TK could also cut over on any of the more northerly routes like LaHonda or Tunitas Creek, both of which are great low volume routes -- or they used to be. Then down HWY 1 which has a pretty good shoulder.

Coming back, I usually took HWY 17 instead of the road around the Lexington, but you have to have be lucky getting a gap to cross two lanes of highway traffic for the Los Gatos exit, which is on the opposite side of the road.

One day, I was struggling and equivocal about jumping in front of 70mph traffic, and lo and behold, a CHP appeared, flipped on his lights and flagged me across with a little salute. It was very nice. I was riding with a friend who was a national class sprinter and just kicked across a head of me, which was a sight to behold. I was spun-out on the descent and couldn't get close to engaging the gear.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 22nd 19, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 21:04:23 -0700 (PDT), pH wrote:

Hope all goes well and that you don't get too irritated with having to wait for everyone to catch up all the time.

I should have said "organized ride" rather than "group ride". Only
two people overtook me, and the first one complained of having slept
late. I got to the start point just before registration closed.

I met a rather astounding number of people. Anyone coming the other
way was not on the Tour des Lakes, so I don't know what occasioned all
the traffic.

That dropped off after I'd circled the first lake; perhaps the
organizers chose a very popular route.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Blowout from heat? Wes Groleau Techniques 89 July 15th 12 06:06 PM
It must be the heat Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 8 July 16th 11 03:50 PM
The Heat is On GoneBeforeMyTime Racing 0 June 19th 10 10:50 PM
Texas heat Cleanbean Mountain Biking 10 March 7th 06 06:51 PM
"It's a dry heat..." [email protected] Mountain Biking 2 June 28th 05 05:57 PM