Boogaali Frames

Old July 30th 19, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Boogaali Frames

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 19:53:55 -0700 (PDT), pH wrote:

On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 10:12:42 AM UTC-7, Tosspot wrote:
Given the current recall debates, would you?

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-af...ainable-luxury

Look nice mind.

Is everyone already familiar with the bamboo frames made by Calfee?
They look pretty good and seem strong. Out Watsonville way.

https://calfeedesign.com/bamboo/

pH in Aptos

I've always wondered what the fascination with wood - of any kind -
bike frames could be. After all basic steel is just so superior to
wood.

But of course, some folks will want to be "modern" and "trendy" but
given that the "swift walker" a two wheel sort of device was built
of wood and dates to 1817 just how "trendy" is wood?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 30th 19, 06:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, July 30, 2019 at 5:05:54 AM UTC+1, James wrote:
On 30/7/19 2:05 am, John B. wrote:

Living in a land where bamboo is very common I might comment that
the only use for bamboo seems to be to build things like garden
trellises and other non structural sort of things. Oh yes, it is also
commonly used for long pole handles for things like pruning hooks so
you can pull limbs off trees. Without some sort of protective coating
bamboo deteriorates and looses much of its strength in about a
year.

I suspect most natural carbon fibre materials deteriorate if left
exposed to the elements.

The now abandoned Renovo bikes also produced a bicycle frame made from
bamboo, though theirs was laminated.

https://newatlas.com/renovo-hardwood...d-looks/12589/

--
JS

Renovo was several steps above dray-horses made Caffee from thick bamboo for peasants in third world countries. I really liked the look of those Renovo, but I feared I would be buying into an unavoidable maintenance cycle of never-ending rubbing down and relacquering. All the same, even if I didn't lash out my own money, I'm sorry to hear they're gone. There's little enough of beauty in the cycling world at any one time.

Andre Jute
My nirvana is zero maintenance
Old July 30th 19, 06:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, July 30, 2019 at 5:15:17 AM UTC+1, John B. wrote:

I've always wondered what the fascination with wood - of any kind -
bike frames could be.

John B.

Wood -- and leather -- is one of those things that, if you don't understand them, no one can explain to you. Or a preference for polished nickel when the alternative is chrome.

Andre Jute
Not often I'm stumped for words
Old July 30th 19, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pH

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-af...xurywb6dwp@gma

Look nice mind.

Is everyone already familiar with the bamboo frames made by Calfee?
They look pretty good and seem strong. Out Watsonville way.

https://calfeedesign.com/bamboo/

pH in Aptos

I've always wondered what the fascination with wood - of any kind -
bike frames could be. After all basic steel is just so superior to
wood.

But of course, some folks will want to be "modern" and "trendy" but
given that the "swift walker" a two wheel sort of device was built
of wood and dates to 1817 just how "trendy" is wood?
--
cheers,

John B.

The Calfee guy said he wanted to make a bicycle that the locals could put together themselves for cheap transportation for the masses. I forget the contries he traveled to, but bamboo was apparently there in plenty.

I think he's been successful in that regard--sure wish my memory was better on places, etcetera.
The stuff he is producing here is for the "monied masses" and vastly different from what he unleashed in the third world areas of interest.
There the bikes would be essentially seasonal, I would guess, much like the local indians would rebuild tule huts as needed.
They would need wheels and drivetrain of some kind, of course, but even just wheels would make a bamboo velocipede.

An aside: John B., how did you end up over in Indonesia or where ever you are. Do you suffer from homesickness (as I would, I think) or miss family?

pH
Old July 31st 19, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 11:44:38 -0700 (PDT), pH wrote:

[...]

I can sympathize with his theory but in my experience the wheels,
tires, and drive train usually cost as much, or more, than the frame.

I think he's been successful in that regard--sure wish my memory was better on places, etcetera.
The stuff he is producing here is for the "monied masses" and vastly different from what he unleashed in the third world areas of interest.
There the bikes would be essentially seasonal, I would guess, much like the local indians would rebuild tule huts as needed.
They would need wheels and drivetrain of some kind, of course, but even just wheels would make a bamboo velocipede.

An aside: John B., how did you end up over in Indonesia or where ever you are. Do you suffer from homesickness (as I would, I think) or miss family?

I spent 20 years in the U.S. Air Force and during that period my Uncle
was nice enough to give me a guided tour of the Asian region - Japan,
Korea, Vietnam and Thailand. My last overseas assignment was Thailand
and than back to the U.S. and retired. I wasn't having much luck
finding a job in the U.S. and had a firm promise of a decent job in
Thailand so decided to go back for a year or so. Than the Vietnam war
was winding down and it was obvious that jobs in Thailand were going
to be scarce another friend who was already working in Indonesia
recommended me for a job there and I spent 20 years in Indonesia
ending up as Manager of the construction division of what was, at the
time, the most successful small company in the country doing "oil
support" projects.

So... after nearly 15 years in Asian countries while in the A.F. and
another 20, or so, as a civilian I really do see Asia as "normal" and
the U.S. as a strange exotic place. "It might be O.K. to visit but who
would want to live there?"
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 31st 19, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 11:15:12 +0700, John B.
wrote:

But of course, some folks will want to be "modern" and "trendy" but
given that the "swift walker" a two wheel sort of device was built
of wood and dates to 1817 just how "trendy" is wood?

Ceramic knives are trendy, and that dates all the way back to the
paleolithic.

Sometimes there's a reason for a revival. Cast iron was dropped like
a hot potato when tin pots became cheaply available, but I cook in
little else.

In the interval between tin pots and now, cheap paper towels were
invented -- so my cast iron is eaier to take care of than my stainless
steel.

Cast iron *must* be wiped dry if it gets wet, and it *always* leaves
permanent black stains on the wiping cloth. (Which explains old
embroidery patterns for marking dish towels "glass". I.E., *not* to
be used on pots.)

And the rags had to be washed by hand. I'm still boggled by the
discovery that Mom had both my older sisters in diapers at the same
time *before* we got electricity and running water.

Me too, but we moved to town not long after I was born.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old July 31st 19, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pH

On Tuesday, July 30, 2019 at 6:13:30 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 11:44:38 -0700 (PDT), pH ail.com wrote:

[...]

Wow, I'll bet you've got a whole different outlook on the world due to your experiences over there.
Thanks so much for humouring me, seeing as how it's all none of my business..but I was wondering.

pH in Aptos, CA
Old July 31st 19, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pH

wrote:

[...]

Holy Moly, Joy; might I ask what state that was?
My gandma was born/grew up in Boulder Creek, CA w/ no power, but I think they managed to pipe in water from a creek (a tributary to Boulder Creek).

I always romanticized it but my Aunt told me that cleaning the lantern globes was an awful chore considering there was a social imperative that the girls' white clothes had to stay white. A contaminated flatiron that left a black streak meant the thing being ironed had to start all over in the wash..

Not bikes.rec, but doesn't Usenet need more use anyway?
pH

Old July 31st 19, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

But of course, some folks will want to be "modern" and "trendy" but
given that the "swift walker" a two wheel sort of device was built
of wood and dates to 1817 just how "trendy" is wood?

Ceramic knives are trendy, and that dates all the way back to the
paleolithic.

Sometimes there's a reason for a revival. Cast iron was dropped like
a hot potato when tin pots became cheaply available, but I cook in
little else.

In the interval between tin pots and now, cheap paper towels were
invented -- so my cast iron is eaier to take care of than my stainless
steel.

Cast iron *must* be wiped dry if it gets wet, and it *always* leaves
permanent black stains on the wiping cloth. (Which explains old
embroidery patterns for marking dish towels "glass". I.E., *not* to
be used on pots.)

My grand mother had two cast iron pots. The fry pan, in daily use, and
a "bean pot" for the Saturday baked beans. My mother, who was a
"modern Woman" (graduated, class of 1928, University of N.H.) only had
one cast iron "pot" the proverbial fry pan. Baked beans at our house
came out of a can :-)

My grand mother argued that a cast iron pot should never be washed
with soap and water while my mother washed her fry pan with soap and
water but, I'm sure, was careful not to disturb the baked on patina
(if that is the correct term).

And the rags had to be washed by hand. I'm still boggled by the
discovery that Mom had both my older sisters in diapers at the same
time *before* we got electricity and running water.

Thus the old creed - A man he works from sun to sun while a woman's
work is never done :-)

Old July 31st 19, 11:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Once a cast iron pan is cured it can be dried simply by putting it on the
fire for a couple minutes. My procedure is to wash with soap and water.
No abrasives. Then wipe dry with a dish towel. then heat for a couple
minutes. My cast iron pans came with me from New Orleans and I haven’t
lived there since 1987.

--
duane

Frames for dx skilewis74 Unicycling 0 August 3rd 08 08:32 PM
FS-Pro M frames Jessica Cann Marketplace 0 January 16th 05 01:35 PM
28" Frames oxfordrider Unicycling 8 August 21st 04 11:17 PM
Frames Matt Ellman Mountain Biking 4 December 30th 03 04:50 PM
Qu-Ax frames one wheeled stallion Unicycling 7 November 27th 03 09:46 PM