Energy requirements in cold and warm weather

Old February 6th 07, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark

Default Energy requirements in cold and warm weather

Hi

Does riding in warm weather require more energy to do the same work as
riding in the cold or vice-versa? I have back-of-a-fag-packet and
likely incorrect theories for both: in cold weather, muscles need more
energy to stay warm; in warm weather, the body cannot dissipate heat
as efficiently and must work harder.

What's the real answer? Am I getting more bang for my training buck in
the winter or summer?

Mark

Old February 6th 07, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Mark wrote:

Does riding in warm weather require more energy to do the same work as
riding in the cold or vice-versa? I have back-of-a-fag-packet and
likely incorrect theories for both: in cold weather, muscles need more
energy to stay warm

If you're doing enough to sweat then you don't need any extra!

; in warm weather, the body cannot dissipate heat
as efficiently and must work harder.

Why? Dissipating heat doesn't cost you much in the way of energy.

What's the real answer? Am I getting more bang for my training buck in
the winter or summer?

I doubt it really matters much, and what is "bang for your training
buck", exactly? Are you training to maximise energy use, or be a faster
cyclist?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old February 6th 07, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman

On Feb 6, 4:11 pm, "Mark" wrote:
Am I getting more bang for my training buck in
the winter or summer?

I guess the air is slightly denser, so due to viscosity it might be a
little harder to propel yourself through it. On the other hand denser
air contains a dozen or so more oxygen molecules per litre of air you
breathe in which could make quite a difference g

peter

Old February 6th 07, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bronzie

On Feb 6, 4:11 pm, "Mark" wrote:
Does riding in warm weather require more energy to do the same work as
riding in the cold or vice-versa?

No figures to back it up, but from personal experience I always feel
more tired and hungrier after a cold weather ride. When riding in
very cold conditions, I quite often feel like it takes ages for my
muscles to warm up and not feel so tight.

I guess that since you are likely to expend more energy on a cold ride
(since your body must use up more energy staying warm??) you are
likely to burn fat reserves faster. However, I emphasise the word
"guess". Whether this offers "better training" depends on what you
are trying to achieve.

Old February 6th 07, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Helen Deborah Vecht

Without a fag packet but with loads of experience, I reckon the
differences are trivial and probably do not reach a measuable size.

You will need more water cycling when it's warmer, but you knew that anyway.

If you chill 5 litres of by body water 5°C, you will need 25kcal to warm
them back to body temperature. This is more heat loss than you would
tolerate but represents little more than a teaspoonful of sugar...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old February 6th 07, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

Mark wrote:

Hi

Does riding in warm weather require more energy to do the same work as
riding in the cold or vice-versa? I have back-of-a-fag-packet and
likely incorrect theories for both: in cold weather, muscles need more
energy to stay warm; in warm weather, the body cannot dissipate heat
as efficiently and must work harder.

What's the real answer? Am I getting more bang for my training buck in
the winter or summer?

Mark

in terms of fat burning cold will do very cold weather will make you
burn fat, but it also is the time of year for hearty meals....

roger

Old February 6th 07, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marz

On Feb 6, 12:11 pm, "Mark" wrote:
Hi

Does riding in warm weather require more energy to do the same work as
riding in the cold or vice-versa? I have back-of-a-fag-packet and
likely incorrect theories for both: in cold weather, muscles need more
energy to stay warm; in warm weather, the body cannot dissipate heat
as efficiently and must work harder.

What's the real answer? Am I getting more bang for my training buck in
the winter or summer?

Mark

I don't remember experiencing much of a difference between winter
riding and summer riding in the UK. From mild cold to mild warm isn't
a big change, very similiar distances achieved in very similiar times
thoughout the year. Moving to Texas and o'boy, winter can be around
freezing and summers near 40c, my performance just drops in that
summer heat. My ride times for 50 miles used to increase by 25% and I
would feel exhausted once I got home.

So if your 'buck' is time and calories burnt, then I'd say you'd get a
harder work out in hot (28c) weather than cold. But if it's to ride
further and faster, cooler weather may suit you best. If you really
want the weather to help with training, ride out into a 40mph head
wind for about 2hours, great strength training, then turn around and
spin (115rpm) home, great leg speed and V02 max training (just
kidding).

Old February 6th 07, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Creature

On 6 Feb 2007 08:11:34 -0800, Mark wrote:
What's the real answer? Am I getting more bang for my training buck in
the winter or summer?

No figures again, but I think I'm faster in summer. I expect this is just
because I tend to wear less and take less stuff with me, though (lower
weight).

--
Alex Pounds (Creature) .~. http://www.alexpounds.com/
/V\ http://www.ethicsgirls.com/
Old February 6th 07, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark

On Feb 6, 4:32 pm, Peter Clinch wrote:
Mark wrote:
Does riding in warm weather require more energy to do the same work as
riding in the cold or vice-versa? I have back-of-a-fag-packet and
likely incorrect theories for both: in cold weather, muscles need more
energy to stay warm

If you're doing enough to sweat then you don't need any extra!

; in warm weather, the body cannot dissipate heat

as efficiently and must work harder.

Why? Dissipating heat doesn't cost you much in the way of energy.

I was thinking more along the lines of the extra heat had some kind of
negative impact on performance and as as result you'd have to work
harder to offset that impact. But as I said, I was expecting my
theories to be incorrect what with basing them on light-hearted
musing.

What's the real answer? Am I getting more bang for my training buck in
the winter or summer?

I doubt it really matters much, and what is "bang for your training
buck", exactly? Are you training to maximise energy use, or be a faster
cyclist?

To be faster, but I wasn't thinking that I'd get an edge by moving to
Mongolia or Africa. I'm not training particularly heavily or seriously
but my time in the first 10 of the year was much slower, as were the
times of the rest of the field. I wondered if cold weather was
partially to blame (the bigger part being a lack of form, obviously)
and that led to my OP.

By "training buck" I meant that for a workout at a given intensity
(say 155bpm for an hour) would I be training "harder" in cold or warm
weather. And I think I've just spotted the flaw in my logic :~)
Perhaps it would make more sense in terms of winter/summer energy
usage to ride 20 miles in an hour. That's what I get for idle
afternoon posting.

Mark

Old February 6th 07, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm not training particularly heavily or seriously
but my time in the first 10 of the year was much slower, as were the
times of the rest of the field. I wondered if cold weather was
partially to blame (the bigger part being a lack of form, obviously)
and that led to my OP.

I reckon my muscles don't work nearly so well in cold weather. They seem
best in what passes for hot here in the dales.

cheers,
clive