Toughest Rim Tapes

Old March 10th 07, 09:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Cychlo-path

Default Toughest Rim Tapes

Hi All,

What are your suggestions for the best rim tapes? I'm reading that cloth
tapes are best for high pressure tubes/tyre combos. Is this true or
nostalgia, as it appears to read on some sites? I'm looking a Velox, any
good? Any other brands which come in 10 and 13mm widths? Oh, and I need them
to be long enough for 27" racer wheels.

Thanks

Old March 10th 07, 01:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kinky Cowboy

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 09:56:49 GMT, "Cychlo-path"
wrote:

Hi All,

What are your suggestions for the best rim tapes? I'm reading that cloth
tapes are best for high pressure tubes/tyre combos. Is this true or
nostalgia, as it appears to read on some sites? I'm looking a Velox, any
good? Any other brands which come in 10 and 13mm widths? Oh, and I need them
to be long enough for 27" racer wheels.

You might want to consider these little suckers
http://www.veloplug.com/

Velox cloth tape is good new, but it rots and is hard to remove for
replacement; modern 1- piece plastic tapes are just as good, and they
don't need adhesive. Still not as good as veloplugs, though.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Old March 10th 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 10, 10:56 am, "Cychlo-path" wrote:
Hi All,

What are your suggestions for the best rim tapes? I'm reading that cloth
tapes are best for high pressure tubes/tyre combos. Is this true or
nostalgia, as it appears to read on some sites? I'm looking a Velox, any
good? Any other brands which come in 10 and 13mm widths? Oh, and I need them
to be long enough for 27" racer wheels.

Thanks

Schwalbe plastic ones come in many widths. I like those.

Joseph

Old March 10th 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Mar 10, 3:56 am, "Cychlo-path" wrote:
Hi All,

What are your suggestions for the best rim tapes? I'm reading that cloth
tapes are best for high pressure tubes/tyre combos. Is this true or
nostalgia, as it appears to read on some sites? I'm looking a Velox, any
good? Any other brands which come in 10 and 13mm widths? Oh, and I need them
to be long enough for 27" racer wheels.

Thanks

Cloth tapes such as Velox are fine in general, *but*, they are a bit
thick (compared to plastic rim strips) and have more friction between
the strip and the tube (again, compared to plastic rim strips). This
makes installing narrow and/or "tight" tires a bit more difficult.
(IME/O, YMMV, etc., etc., etc.)

Old March 10th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

Cychlo-path wrote:
Hi All,

What are your suggestions for the best rim tapes? I'm reading that cloth
tapes are best for high pressure tubes/tyre combos. Is this true or
nostalgia, as it appears to read on some sites? I'm looking a Velox, any
good? Any other brands which come in 10 and 13mm widths? Oh, and I need them
to be long enough for 27" racer wheels.

Thanks

They come in specific lengths, so you should be able to find them that
will fit a 27" rim properly.

I still prefer the fabric stick-ons.
I've seen more problems with the plastic ones (shifting while
reinstalling a tire/tube). Especially if you happen to end up buying the
plastic liners separate of the rims; some liner strips seem to fit
loose on some rims, worsening the problem.

The hole-plugs would seem (to me) to be more trouble and expense than
they're worth. The only good aspect of them is that they make it easier
to get the tire on and off, but most tires will fit over most rims with
only reasonable effort anyway, if proper technique is used.

My latest wheel purchase came with the un-adhesive plastics, but if
there's a problem with either of them they're both coming off and
fabric's going on. I've /never/ had to take a fabric strip off because
it didn't work.
~
Old March 10th 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
me

"Cychlo-path" wrote in message
Hi All,

What are your suggestions for the best rim tapes? I'm reading that cloth
tapes are best for high pressure tubes/tyre combos. Is this true or
nostalgia, as it appears to read on some sites? I'm looking a Velox, any
good? Any other brands which come in 10 and 13mm widths? Oh, and I need
them
to be long enough for 27" racer wheels.

Thanks

Plastic rim strips DO at times fail fatally and subtly. I had a set of
Michelin plastics strips on a wheel that flatted 4 times in 25 miles about
8-10 years ago, all small cuts on the inside of the tube with no apparent
source. The strips looked perfect. BUT, when you removed a strip and
flexed it just so you could discern a fine split over each spoke hole. At
120 psi these would flex open enough to nip the tube. This was a fairly
notorious failure mode for them. It's back to Velox for me.

Jeffrey

Old March 10th 07, 03:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
richard

As mentioned, they are thick (and can make some tires a wee bit harder
to install than other thinner tapes). However, as you said "toughest",
the Velox strips might just be immortal.

Old March 10th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
"Cychlo-path" wrote:

Hi All,

What are your suggestions for the best rim tapes? I'm reading that cloth
tapes are best for high pressure tubes/tyre combos. Is this true or
nostalgia, as it appears to read on some sites? I'm looking a Velox, any
good? Any other brands which come in 10 and 13mm widths? Oh, and I need them
to be long enough for 27" racer wheels.

Cloth tape is known to work. Everyone agrees. We have
reports of plastic tape migrating away from the very
sharp edges it is supposed to mask, leading to tube
puncture.

Some folks tell us that glass fibre packing tape is an
effective rim tape. This makes sense, as glass does not
creep. Apparently, all resins creep.
Old March 10th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 15:56:38 GMT, Michael Press
wrote:

In article ,
"Cychlo-path" wrote:

Hi All,

What are your suggestions for the best rim tapes? I'm reading that cloth
tapes are best for high pressure tubes/tyre combos. Is this true or
nostalgia, as it appears to read on some sites? I'm looking a Velox, any
good? Any other brands which come in 10 and 13mm widths? Oh, and I need them
to be long enough for 27" racer wheels.

Cloth tape is known to work. Everyone agrees. We have
reports of plastic tape migrating away from the very
sharp edges it is supposed to mask, leading to tube
puncture.

Some folks tell us that glass fibre packing tape is an
effective rim tape. This makes sense, as glass does not
creep. Apparently, all resins creep.

The plastic ones split and cut the tube.

They also slide sideways and let sharp bits nick the tube.

As for "creep" not occuring in plastics, consider the source.
Old March 10th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

wrote:

Hi All,

What are your suggestions for the best rim tapes? I'm reading that cloth
tapes are best for high pressure tubes/tyre combos. Is this true or
nostalgia, as it appears to read on some sites? I'm looking a Velox, any
good? Any other brands which come in 10 and 13mm widths? Oh, and I need them
to be long enough for 27" racer wheels.

You might want to consider these little suckers
http://www.veloplug.com/

Velox cloth tape is good new, but it rots

Rode hard, put away wet.
It never rotted on me. I do not ride in the wet.

and is hard to remove for

Again, not for me. I have pulled it and reused it.