RR: recent outings + a few photos

Old September 6th 07, 12:41 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB

Default RR: recent outings + a few photos

I did two somewhat epic rides last weekend. The wife and kid were out of
town so what could I do but ride, ride, ride?

Saturday I did a big geared ride with my friend Keith. We made a big
loop that went through Hartman Rocks and way beyond to some fairly low
key (relatively unknown, hard to find) trails. We wound up doing about
38 Miles and I don't know how much elevation, but quite a bit by my
estimate. I didn't take any photos, we just enjoyed the ride. I had some
digestive issues at one point but managed to work through them. Keith
crashed a couple of times and shed a little blood. The important thing
was we both finished the ride smiling. It was good and had a LOT of
singletrack in it.

Sunday I did a solo SS ride up to Signal Mesa. I recently discovered a
new somewhat technical route up there that needs some attention to make
it into a viable route. I rode what has been pushed in, and added a
little more at the end. It's a series of winding switchbacks through
trees that almost double over on themselves. The views are nice, but the
light wasn't good when I rode it. Instead of trying to capture the views
I worked on a little project for the local paper. The editor is looking
for "fall is coming" kinds of shots. Here's what I came up with:

http://tinyurl.com/2nqydd/img_3472%20(2).jpg

http://tinyurl.com/2nqydd/img_3476%20(2).jpg

http://tinyurl.com/2nqydd/img_3485%20(2).jpg
(I didn't like the washed out sky on this, but that's the light I had to
work with)

Then, I went for a SS ride at Hartman's last night after work. It was a
really nice evening, and it had just rained about an hour before I rode.
While that might make riding bad in many places, the decomposed granite
at Hartman's just firms up and makes for an incredible riding surface. I
was cleaning everything and railing every turn. It was good. I also saw
quite a bit of wildlife, which isn't unusual for the area, but there
seemed to be some extra activity last night.

First, there was this raven. He was talking to me. Not sure what he said
but it might have been "take my picture" because he left after I did (or
was it "don't take my picture"?).

http://tinyurl.com/2nqydd/img_3501%20(2).jpg

Here's a typical Hartman's scene from the Rattlesnake trail:

http://tinyurl.com/2nqydd/img_3503%20(2).jpg

Then while still on the Rattlesnake trail I felt like I was being
watched. It turns out I was. When I got to the top of a little technical
climb, these young bucks were hanging out, just watching.

http://tinyurl.com/2nqydd/img_3510%20(2).jpg

http://tinyurl.com/2nqydd/img_3514%20(2).jpg

Then, as I was cruising down Collarbone Alley on my way out, I saw a fox
dart out in front of me, run along the trail for maybe 20 Feet, and then
disappear into the underbrush. Cool looking animal and I rarely get to
see them that close. Unfortunately it wasn't a situation where I could
get the camera out.

Finally, from the road on my way home I saw this neat sight. The sunset
light hitting some distant rain for a great effect.

http://tinyurl.com/2nqydd/img_3519%20(2).jpg

Matt
Old September 6th 07, 01:54 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

MattB wrote:
I did two somewhat epic rides last weekend. The wife and kid were out of
town so what could I do but ride, ride, ride?

Saturday I did a big geared ride with my friend Keith. We made a big
loop that went through Hartman Rocks and way beyond to some fairly low
key (relatively unknown, hard to find) trails. We wound up doing about
38 Miles and I don't know how much elevation, but quite a bit by my
estimate. I didn't take any photos, we just enjoyed the ride. I had some
digestive issues at one point but managed to work through them. Keith
crashed a couple of times and shed a little blood. The important thing
was we both finished the ride smiling. It was good and had a LOT of
singletrack in it.

SNIP

Very nice, Matt. Leaves change so early. We need more global warming.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

a few recent pics JD Mountain Biking 7 August 17th 06 03:37 PM
Recent Puzzles Mikefule Unicycling 12 June 2nd 06 10:33 PM
Photos/videos from recent rides tholub Unicycling 3 February 8th 06 05:04 AM
Recent Improvements cathwood Unicycling 8 July 26th 05 06:33 AM
Some recent photos MattB Mountain Biking 2 June 1st 05 12:52 AM