Old 1955 Raleigh Lenton Sports

Old April 10th 08, 12:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MarkK

Default Old 1955 Raleigh Lenton Sports

Hello all - long time since I've frequented these parts - seems to be a lot
of spam around :-(

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is that my FIL left an old bike, which he
purchased new in around 1955 when he was about 19. It's been sitting in a
shed since he died a few years ago and we're wondering what to do with it. A
quick Google suggests that there may be collectors out there, particularly
in the USA.

I've taken a few photos and stuck them on my webspace so people can have a
look:
http://www.btinternet.com/~randomeyes/Raleigh/index.htm

There's some background info he
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroral...on-kohler.html
And he
http://oldroads.com/ra_sn.asp (the frame number data here suggests 1954/5)

Apart from the seat, it looks largely original and isn't far off being
usable. The owner was a mechanical engineer who kept it well lubed as you
can se from the photos.

We're not sure whether to refurbish it (rims, tyres, tubes, cables, etc) or
sell it to someone who'd appreciate it more. Could stick it on eBay, but a
search for completed listings doesn't yield much of help. Any suggestions as
to value, etc?

Thanks,

Mark

Old April 10th 08, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TerryJ

We're not sure whether to refurbish it (rims, tyres, tubes, cables, etc) or
sell it to someone who'd appreciate it more. Could stick it on eBay, but a
search for completed listings doesn't yield much of help. Any suggestions as
to value, etc?

Thanks,

Mark

I had exactly that model in blue , bought second hand in about 1973
and eventually nicked in 1982. Mine had front and rear lights for the
dynamo, but I usually used battery lights because the dynamo dragged
all the time even when off unless you pulled off the wires, and the
light bulbs were forever blowing.
I would leave any refurbichment to the new buyer just in case it is
lucky enough to be bought by someone who really knows how to presrve
it.
I am afraid you won't get much for it.
It might be worth flagging up to any collectors you can track down.I
have seen wanted ads in the CTC mag.
TerryJ

Old April 10th 08, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Zog The Undeniable

MarkK wrote:
[...]

Mention it in the fixie section of yacf.co.uk and someone will probably
bite your hand off.
Old April 10th 08, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MarkK

"Zog The Undeniable" wrote in message

Mention it in the fixie section of yacf.co.uk and someone will probably
bite your hand off.

Even though it has 4-speed Sturmey Archer gears?

Mark

Old April 10th 08, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

MarkK wrote:
"Zog The Undeniable" wrote in message

Mention it in the fixie section of yacf.co.uk and someone will probably
bite your hand off.

Even though it has 4-speed Sturmey Archer gears?

More importantly, forward facing rear dropouts. Ideal for fixie conversion.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"My God! The thought of that evil man, loose in London--with
money, from God only knows what source--fomenting riot and
rebellion during a public emergency--and in control of an Engine-
driven press! It's nightmarish!" (Gibson-Sterling, "The
Difference Engine")
Old April 10th 08, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doki

"Don Whybrow" wrote in message
MarkK wrote:
"Zog The Undeniable" wrote in message

Mention it in the fixie section of yacf.co.uk and someone will probably
bite your hand off.

Even though it has 4-speed Sturmey Archer gears?

More importantly, forward facing rear dropouts. Ideal for fixie
conversion.

I'd say the 4 speed hub is unusual and perhaps worth a few quid. However,
any mediocre old frame has forward facing drop outs IME... Unless you
actually plan fixie conversion / SA hub, they're a PITA.

Old April 11th 08, 07:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

Don Whybrow wrote:

MarkK wrote:
"Zog The Undeniable" wrote in message

Mention it in the fixie section of yacf.co.uk and someone will probably
bite your hand off.

Even though it has 4-speed Sturmey Archer gears?

More importantly, forward facing rear dropouts. Ideal for fixie conversion.

i'd of thought it would be a shame to loose the old gears after all you
can get loads of old 70/80 racers etc.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old April 11th 08, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

Roger Merriman wrote:
Don Whybrow wrote:

MarkK wrote:
"Zog The Undeniable" wrote in message

Mention it in the fixie section of yacf.co.uk and someone will probably
bite your hand off.
Even though it has 4-speed Sturmey Archer gears?

More importantly, forward facing rear dropouts. Ideal for fixie conversion.

i'd of thought it would be a shame to loose the old gears after all you
can get loads of old 70/80 racers etc.

Personally, if that bike came my way [1] it would be a restoration
project, but I can see why it would be attractive for a conversion.

[1] My stable has enough [2] steeds at the moment
[2] Yes, I know.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours."
...Stephen F Roberts
Old April 12th 08, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Zog The Undeniable

MarkK wrote:
"Zog The Undeniable" wrote in message

Mention it in the fixie section of yacf.co.uk and someone will probably
bite your hand off.

Even though it has 4-speed Sturmey Archer gears?

Nah...it's designed for fixing as well. My dad used to ride his fixed
Lenton Sports all over Britain in the 1950s. Those handlebars are
retro-cool now.
Old April 13th 08, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin Williams

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 00:44:49 +0100, MarkK wrote:

We're not sure whether to refurbish it (rims, tyres, tubes, cables, etc)
or sell it to someone who'd appreciate it more. Could stick it on eBay,
but a search for completed listings doesn't yield much of help. Any
suggestions as to value, etc?

The frame looks exactly like a Rudge I bought from eBay last year, even
the paint colour and lug shapes appear to be the same. Mine is a 3-speed
AW, so not so rare as your 4-speed, also I have standard North Road
handlebars; it cost me 8 pounds and was in similar condition to how yours
seems to be. The auction was for local pickup only which might have
limited the price, but I think that adding shipping costs for one of these
bikes would not be worthwhile.

All I did was replace the perished Dunlops with a new pair of tyres, oil
the cables, service the bottom bracket and give the rims a quick rub down
with wire wool to brighten them up. It runs nicely, although stopping in
the wet requires forward planning! I don't think it would be worth
spending much on such a bike in order to sell it, of course if you want to
restore it for yourself then the monetary value might be less important.

Mine now serves as a 'commute to the station' bike, a distance of 2.5
miles. I wouldn't want to ride much further on it though, it is very
heavy, even compared to my cheap Alu hybrid.

Hope this helps,

Colin.