Bicycling Magazine

Old April 25th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
joekhul

Default Bicycling Magazine

Is it me or has Bicycling magazine gotten a little better in the past
couple of years? I tried it some years ago, but it appeared to me that
it was a flashy magazine designed for extreme(!) young guys and I
found no value in it and didn't miss it one iota. But in the last
couple of years I've been getting it whether I want it or not because
I send money to some bicycling organization (there's a couple I donate
to -- it might be Cyclist.org...I don't know); and I see now there's
some useful articles in each issue or at least in their sidebars; and
now I find I do enjoy some of the articles.

I don't know -- what do you all think?
Old April 25th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Kenneth[_2_]

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 17:54:38 -0700 (PDT), joekhul
wrote:

Is it me or has Bicycling magazine gotten a little better in the past
couple of years? I tried it some years ago, but it appeared to me that
it was a flashy magazine designed for extreme(!) young guys and I
found no value in it and didn't miss it one iota. But in the last
couple of years I've been getting it whether I want it or not because
I send money to some bicycling organization (there's a couple I donate
to -- it might be Cyclist.org...I don't know); and I see now there's
some useful articles in each issue or at least in their sidebars; and
now I find I do enjoy some of the articles.

I don't know -- what do you all think?

Howdy,

Is there any chance you are becoming an extreme(!) young
guy...?

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Old April 25th 08, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
joekhul

wrote:
Is it me or has Bicycling magazine gotten a little better in the past
couple of years? I tried it some years ago, but it appeared to me that
it was a flashy magazine designed for extreme(!) young guys and I
found no value in it and didn't miss it one iota. But in the last
couple of years I've been getting it whether I want it or not because
I send money to some bicycling organization (there's a couple I donate
to -- it might be Cyclist.org...I don't know); and I see now there's
some useful articles in each issue or at least in their sidebars; and
now I find I do enjoy some of the articles.

I don't know -- what do you all think?

Howdy,

Is there any chance you are becoming an extreme(!) young
guy...?

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Ha! No, not hardly....I'm getting better(!)
Old April 25th 08, 03:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
ZBicyclist

joekhul wrote:
Is it me or has Bicycling magazine gotten a little better in the
past
couple of years? I tried it some years ago, but it appeared to me
that
it was a flashy magazine designed for extreme(!) young guys and I
found no value in it and didn't miss it one iota. But in the last
couple of years I've been getting it whether I want it or not
because
I send money to some bicycling organization (there's a couple I
donate
to -- it might be Cyclist.org...I don't know); and I see now
there's
some useful articles in each issue or at least in their sidebars;
and
now I find I do enjoy some of the articles.

I don't know -- what do you all think?

They are using more than one paragraph articles again. It's still
not great, but it is a big improvement. I got a "free" subscription
a few months ago and actually renewed it.

--
Mike Kruger
"You have to be careful if you are reckless." - Richard M. Daley

Old April 25th 08, 04:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 21:22:21 -0500, "ZBicyclist"
wrote:

joekhul wrote:
[...]

I browsed a Bicycling Magazine publication in the used book store
just today. There were step-by-step photographs and instructions for
repairing tubular tires. It was a repair manual from ~1990. I'm
guessing because I didn't look at the copyright or printing history

Also had wheel lacing and truing photos IIRC. It didn't interest me
because it didn't contain any information I don't already have or
could access more easily online.
A quaint item not worth eight bux to me.

The latest issues of the magazine are across the street in the
library. I'll have to start looking at them again. Maybe even find it
worth checking out.
--
zk
Old April 25th 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
joekhul

On Apr 24, 8:54*pm, joekhul wrote:
Is it me or has Bicycling magazine gotten a little better in the past
couple of years? I tried it some years ago, but it appeared to me that
it was a flashy magazine designed for extreme(!) young guys and I
found no value in it and didn't miss it one iota. But in the last
couple of years I've been getting it whether I want it or not because
I send money to some bicycling organization (there's a couple I donate
to -- it might be Cyclist.org...I don't know); and I see now there's
some useful articles in each issue or at least in their sidebars; and
now I find I do enjoy some of the articles.

I don't know -- what do you all think?

And to give proper credit:

The folks I sent the money to is: League of American Bicyclists. They
can be found at www.bikeleague.org

You become a member with them and you get subscribed to Bicycle
magazine, plus you get a quarterly publication of American Bicyclist.
Old April 25th 08, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Apr 24, 8:54 pm, joekhul wrote:
Is it me or has Bicycling magazine gotten a little better in the past
couple of years?

Well, it's a matter of taste, I'm sure. IMO, it's better largely
because there wasn't much way for it to get worse.

They've had a few interesting articles lately. But the emphasis is
still 90% on "Shave 0.002% off your next time trial!!!" or "Use these
exercises to get sexy legs!!!!!" or "THIS is the piece of expensive
equipment you've GOT to buy!!!!!"

Page 136 of the current issue has "5 THINGS TO MAKE YOU
FASTER" (Emphasis theirs). Total cost? Well over $2500. That's
for a wheelset, $80 worth of semi-edible goo, $360 worth of clothes
(to make you faster!!!), a fancy speedometer, and - wait for it -
ceramic bearings.

Oh yes - last month they called some movie star a "wheelsucker"
because he was seen riding without a (gasp!) helmet.

As it happens, I've got four different cycling magazined piled next to
my recliner right now: Bicycle Quarterly, Rivendell Reader, American
Cyclist (that's LAB's rag), and Buycycling. I find the first two to
be roughly 30 times more interesting than the last two.

Briefly, the style of cycling they currently promote has never, ever
appealed to me. But, as always, YMMV.

- Frank Krygowski

Old April 25th 08, 02:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Apr 24, 8:54 pm, joekhul wrote:
Is it me or has Bicycling magazine gotten a little better in the past
couple of years? ...

I don't know -- what do you all think?

I'd agree, at least with respect to their articles not geared toward
riding faster in N steps, or "value" bikes that cost $3000+ (not quite
as bad as Road Bike Action magazine's reviews that read more like a
buzz word dictionary), etc.. I don't subscribe to Bicycling, but read
it sometimes at the library.

I've enjoyed reading about their Africa Bike project, interviews with
cyclists (I think they had an interview with Saul Raisin just before
his life threatening crash and then later did a follow up article on
how he's getting on with life now), Team Major Taylor, stuff like
that.

Old April 25th 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
catzz66[_2_]

joekhul wrote:
Is it me or has Bicycling magazine gotten a little better in the past
couple of years? I tried it some years ago, but it appeared to me that
it was a flashy magazine designed for extreme(!) young guys and I
found no value in it and didn't miss it one iota. But in the last
couple of years I've been getting it whether I want it or not because
I send money to some bicycling organization (there's a couple I donate
to -- it might be Cyclist.org...I don't know); and I see now there's
some useful articles in each issue or at least in their sidebars; and
now I find I do enjoy some of the articles.

I don't know -- what do you all think?

I subscribe and pass it on to my family to read, but don't rely on it to
learn anything deep about bikes, only to keep up with what's current. I
have not really ever found a monthly bike magazine that interests me all
that much. I'd rather be out riding.