Bicycle Wheel Building Workshop - Cambridge - 6 Mar 2010

Old February 10th 10, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dieter Britz[_3_]

Default Bicycle Wheel Building Workshop - Cambridge - 6 Mar 2010

thirty-six wrote:

On 9 Feb, 21:30, David Green wrote:
The details of the next Bicycle Wheel Building Workshop I will

This is a practical course where you learn how to assemble and true
strong and durable bicycle wheels. You will learn to build ’standard’
(36 spoke cross-3) wheels using proven wheel building techniques based
on sound principles. Places are restricted to ensure a high
teacher-student ratio.

£75 for a cup of tea of which the mug needs to bring his own student,
a sham. Brandt's book is not accepted, it's a sham. He makes grave
errors which encourage the reader to build an inadequate and dangerous
wheel with a poor expected lifespan (wheel or rider). Basing a
practical course on this peicew of fiction is downright dangerous. I
advise anybody foolhardy enough to accept tutoring by David Green, to
etch his name on their wheel so that he may be persued for damages in
the event of your death due to wheel collapse.

I find such a course superfluous, and reckon that the classic book is
enough (it was, for me). But then, I suppose there are people who can't
easily learn from books.

But what in particular do you reckon is wrong with the book?
--
Dieter Britz (dieterbritzatyahoo.com)
Old February 10th 10, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On 10 Feb, 12:35, Dieter Britz wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
[...]

Ignorant of the purpose of triangulation in the spokes by interlacing.
(assist in hub support with the spokes pointing fore and aft). This
is a fundamental error which leads him to conclude that tighter spokes
build better wheels (not) and tying and soldering spokes cannot show
any advantage (Duh).

He also ignores the line of the spoke at the interlace, although
wierdly pays attention to the junction with the hub. It is correcting
the line of the spoke at the interleave which allows the spoke to work
as a purely tensile element, without bowing, at all working tensions.
This results in a superior wheel with lower working spoke tensions.

Old February 10th 10, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dieter Britz[_3_]

thirty-six wrote:

On 10 Feb, 12:35, Dieter Britz wrote:
thirty-six wrote:

[...]
a sham. Â*Brandt's book is not accepted, it's a sham. Â*He makes grave

[...]
But what in particular do you reckon is wrong with the book?

Ignorant of the purpose of triangulation in the spokes by interlacing.
(assist in hub support with the spokes pointing fore and aft). This
is a fundamental error which leads him to conclude that tighter spokes
build better wheels (not) and tying and soldering spokes cannot show
any advantage (Duh).

He also ignores the line of the spoke at the interlace, although
wierdly pays attention to the junction with the hub. It is correcting
the line of the spoke at the interleave which allows the spoke to work
as a purely tensile element, without bowing, at all working tensions.
This results in a superior wheel with lower working spoke tensions.

What is triangulation? And are you saying that two spokes that cross each
other can both be straight? It seems to me they must both bend, at the
point where they touch each other. Or do I misunderstand you?
--
Dieter Britz (dieterbritzatyahoo.com)
Old February 10th 10, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On 10 Feb, 15:25, Dieter Britz wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
On 10 Feb, 12:35, Dieter Britz wrote:
thirty-six wrote:

[...]
a sham. *Brandt's book is not accepted, it's a sham. *He makes grave

[...]
But what in particular do you reckon is wrong with the book?

Ignorant of the purpose of triangulation in the spokes by interlacing.
(assist in hub support with the spokes pointing fore and aft). *This
is a fundamental error which leads him to conclude that tighter spokes
build better wheels (not) and tying and soldering spokes cannot show
any advantage (Duh).

He also ignores the line of the spoke at the interlace, although
wierdly pays attention to the junction with the hub. *It is correcting
the line of the spoke at the interleave which allows the spoke to work
as a purely tensile element, without bowing, at all working tensions.
This results in a superior wheel with lower working spoke tensions.

What is triangulation?

Like as used in electricity distribution pylons, as used in a bicycle
frame. In the wheel it reduces the 'shear' between hub and rim. It
is irellevant to the spokes pointing up and down, only in those
pointing fore and aft.

And are you saying that two spokes that cross each
other can both be straight?

From the rim to the crossing and from the crossing to the hub flange,
YES. The spokes are best not left dead straight because the spoke
lying inside the flange will not be adequately supported unless the
drillings are suitably angled. Another spoking arrangment is to tie
and solder the spoke at two crossings without the interleave, for
which I did last year on a front wheel which now behaves as if it was
running on rails along with excellent suspension characteristics.
There is no skitting of the wheel when taking bumpy corners at speed.

It seems to me they must both bend, at the
point where they touch each other.

In a usual lacing arrangement,YES. The radius of that bend affects
extension to load ratio which is variable (and unecessarily high) due
to a large radius as is normally installed. A poor get around is to
make excessive tension in the spokes, which tear apart lightweight and
some regular rims. Making the radius at the point of spoke contact
tighter by manually creating a permanent bend at installation permits
the use of lower spoke tension with a much more satisfying wheel.

Or do I misunderstand you?

Only if you want to.

Old February 10th 10, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
chris French

In message , Dieter Britz
writes
thirty-six wrote:

On 9 Feb, 21:30, David Green wrote:
The details of the next Bicycle Wheel Building Workshop I will

This is a practical course where you learn how to assemble and true
strong and durable bicycle wheels. You will learn to build ’standard’
(36 spoke cross-3) wheels using proven wheel building techniques based
on sound principles. Places are restricted to ensure a high
teacher-student ratio.

£75 for a cup of tea of which the mug needs to bring his own student,
a sham. Brandt's book is not accepted, it's a sham.

I find such a course superfluous, and reckon that the classic book is
enough (it was, for me). But then, I suppose there are people who can't
easily learn from books.

But what in particular do you reckon is wrong with the book?

Noooooooo !!!!!
--
Chris French