DF with Single Speeds hope bents don't go that way

Old July 29th 03, 01:57 PM
Mike

Default DF with Single Speeds hope bents don't go that way

Have you seen a small group of DF riders who are riding single speed bikes
and the parts industry that has popped up to support this. I say what ever
thrills you but.... I can remember single speed bikes as a child and what a
big step up it was when I was older to get 5 speed.

The Single speed people thing it's a revolution in cycling.

So are these people reverting back to early childhood or what ?

If these Single Speed DF's want to be real trend setters they should ride
bents !!!

Old July 29th 03, 02:07 PM
Mikael Seierup

"Mike" skrev

So are these people reverting back to early childhood or what ?

If these Single Speed DF's want to be real trend setters they should ride
bents !!!

Well I still have my old Raleigh Singlespeed. I bought it for riding in the city
where gears just mean you get that much faster to the next red light ;-)
I was also tired of mucking with gears and brakes etc. Much easier just to
have a footbrake. Trendy though? Naaah... Must be MTB-backlash. :-)

Mikael
Old July 29th 03, 02:17 PM
Joao de Souza

Mike wrote:

So are these people reverting back to early childhood or what ?

They are lighter, have very efficient drivetrains, and you never need to
worry about what gear you're in. This trend started with the mountain
bike folks who wanted to shed weight off their bikes, and also got tired
of dealing with a lot of drivetrain problems that can be caused by
derailers ridden off-road. But little by little, some road riders are
becoming converts as well, attracted by the simple, light and efficient
design. I have tried a few, and I think they are great. I think the
argument goes back to what I tell a lot of people who put down
recumbents - you shouldn't discredit it until you try it out for yourself.

Joao "seriously considering single-speeding my GRR, but only because I
can't fix-gear it" de Souza

Old July 29th 03, 02:50 PM
Dave Larrington

Mike wrote:

Have you seen a small group of DF riders who are riding single speed
bikes and the parts industry that has popped up to support this.

Round here they never really went away. but then we BRITONS are sometimes
renowned for eccentricity. See, for example, the Tricycle Association and
the Cocoa Tin Ten.

Of the group of twelve or so riders I was in for the first forty-odd miles
of the Dunwich Dynamo the other week, there were three or four single-speed
bikes, at least one of which was equipped with a freewheel. Single-speeds -
fixed and freewheel - are quite popular with the couriers in London too,
given that the centre is pretty flat.

You won't catch me on one any time soon, though, because I don't have a big
enough Shed to store a single-speed as well as the other bikes.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old July 29th 03, 09:36 PM
rorschandt

"Mike" wrote in
:

"Mike" wrote in message
Have you seen a small group of DF riders who are riding single speed

bikes
and the parts industry that has popped up to support this. I say what
ever thrills you but.... I can remember single speed bikes as a child
and what

big step up it was when I was older to get 5 speed.

The Single speed people thing it's a revolution in cycling.

So are these people reverting back to early childhood or what ?

This attraction to fixed gear bikes has puzzled me for 20 years. When I
read this, It made me better understand
http://www.bicyclepaintings.com/info.../mybikes3.html

rorschandt
Old July 30th 03, 12:31 AM
Victor Kan

Mike wrote:
So are these people reverting back to early childhood or what ?

Maybe they rented that Kevin Bacon movie Quicksilver and loved the scene
where he was on a (I think) fixed gear bike and tried to go up a steep hill.

As for derailers causing problems, how about that David Millar incident
in this year's Tour de France prologue? If I recall, he used a single
chainring in the front and didn't have a derailer up there, saving
weight. Was the weight savings worth having to reach down to fix his
chain at 35+ mph?

--
I do not accept unsolicted commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.

Old July 30th 03, 01:35 AM
Edward Wong

"Mike" wrote in message .. .
Have you seen a small group of DF riders who are riding single speed bikes
and the parts industry that has popped up to support this. I say what ever
thrills you but.... I can remember single speed bikes as a child and what a
big step up it was when I was older to get 5 speed.

The Single speed people thing it's a revolution in cycling.

So are these people reverting back to early childhood or what ?

If these Single Speed DF's want to be real trend setters they should ride
bents !!!

Single speeding is fun! I have a 2003 Giant Simple Single beach
cruiser that I enjoy riding almost as much as my bents. It's aluminum
and weighs less than 27 lbs. I wish my bents weighed that much

Edward Wong
Orlando, FL
Old July 31st 03, 04:00 AM
Eugene Cottrell

2 years ago, I rode across the country (LA-Boston) with a guy that did it on
a track bike. Not only single speed, but it couldn't coast down the hills.
He said the downhills were the hardest part.

--
Gene
http://home.att.net/~gene8

Old July 31st 03, 12:15 PM
Steve McDonald

I had a 1948 Roadmaster balloon tire single-speed with twin front
coil spring shocks. It was loaded with a brightly-colored tank, lots of
chrome and even had a brake light. It was great for ripping down hills,
skidding the coaster brake and making a sharp turn at the same time.
You could jump it or ride into walls without damage. But, it was so
heavy and hard to get going in its only gear, that I developed the
strength I use to climb hills today. Actually, that worked out pretty
well in the long run. But, when I got my first 3-speed "English" bike
with "narrow" 3/8" tires, I thought I'd ascended to the next level of
Nirvana. We're all spoiled today with 21 or more speeds and
grip-shifters.

Steve McDonald