Interesting Article On How Cars Took Over the Road

Old September 1st 18, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
TMS320

Default Interesting Article On How Cars Took Over the Road

On 01/09/18 01:42, JNugent wrote:
On 31/08/2018 20:21, TMS320 wrote:
On 31/08/18 13:53, JNugent wrote:
On 31/08/2018 13:15, TMS320 wrote:
On 31/08/18 10:59, JNugent wrote:

You get more weird with every post, it seems.

You want weird?

On 07/06/18 17:23, JNugent wrote:
"It all arises out of experience and acquired
information, much of it gained in this very NG".

You should cease having fantasies about your "observed experiences"
being of value.

You seem to think it is not possible to acquire information via reading.

Wrong. You lumped experience and information together in the phrase I
quoted.

Ah.. right... I get it now.

You just aren't very good at comprehension

Leave out one subject or the other and the sentence makes sense either way.

"It all arises out of experience, much of it gained in this very NG".
"It all arises out of acquired information, much of it gained in this
very NG"

Old September 1st 18, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
JNugent[_10_]

On 01/09/2018 20:19, TMS320 wrote:
[...]

It was information to which the qualifying clause referred.

I hope that is helpful.

BTW, I wouldn't dismiss some of the things I've seen and read here over
the yeras as non-experiences.
Old September 1st 18, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
TMS320

On 01/09/18 20:38, JNugent wrote:

BTW, I wouldn't dismiss some of the things I've seen and read here over
the yeras as non-experiences.

From what you have written over time, I have gained a mental image of
you which could be counted as some sort of experience. But it's certain
I wouldn't recognise you in the flesh.

That's roughly about the size your "experience" amounts to.
Old September 2nd 18, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
JNugent[_10_]

On 01/09/2018 22:44, TMS320 wrote:

On 01/09/18 20:38, JNugent wrote:

BTW, I wouldn't dismiss some of the things I've seen and read here
over the yeras as non-experiences.

From what you have written over time, I have gained a mental image of
you which could be counted as some sort of experience. But it's certain
I wouldn't recognise you in the flesh.

That's roughly about the size your "experience" amounts to.

As cryptic as ever.

Keep it up.

Old September 3rd 18, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bruce 'Not Glug' Lee

Simon Jester wrote:
On Saturday, September 1, 2018 at 9:53:41 AM UTC+1, NY wrote:
"TMS320" wrote in message
news

In the US, as mainland Europe, vehicles and pedestrians going straight
on at traffic lights are treated as equal and pedestrians have strict
priority over turning vehicles. They will get green lights at the same
time. In the UK, a pedestrian phase always turns vehicular traffic
lights red.

I noticed in small-town Massachusetts (Ipswich and Georgetown) drivers
were much more willing to stop for a pedestrian who looked as if they
*might* be about to cross the road - and nowhere near a "Ped Xing"
(pedestrian crossing - the signs sat Ped Xing). It happened once when I
was looking at a house ont he opposite side of the road, with my body
facing forward along the road: as soon as I turned my head, a car
stopped in anticipation that I was about to cross.

I remember being at a pedestrian crossing in Oslo some years ago. When
the pedestrian light turned green the pedestrians walked into the road
without looking and the cars stopped. In the UK there would be mass
casualties and the victims would be blamed because cars are not obliged
to stop for pedestrians until the traffic light has been red for 10
seconds.

My wife and I rode through the Netherlands in 2009, and it took us a while
to get used to how car drivers would stop on roundabouts to let us pass
through roundabouts.

The British car driver is the worst, most arrogant pile of **** in the
world.

--
john smith |MA (Hons)|MPhil (Hons)|CAPES (mention très bien)|LLB (Hons)
'It never gets any easier. You just get faster'
Old September 3rd 18, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bruce 'Not Glug' Lee

JNugent wrote:

This...

If only one could say the same of cyclists, the majority of whom appear
oblivious to this and most other traffic rules (that's putting it
charitably).

.... is why this waste of space should be dealt with - preferably by means
of a claw hammer between the eyes.

Y.

Old September 3rd 18, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Bruce 'Not Glug' Lee

TMS320 wrote:
On 31/08/18 13:13, NY wrote:

As a pedestrian, I would never step off the pavement unless I could see
that the road was clear: I would never *make* a car stop for me with the
single exception of a zebra crossing.

That's the observed behaviour of most pedestrians in the UK, which
drivers have come to take advantage of. It requires agility and a plan B
to assert your rights. And we don't have presumed liability as a backup.

I got shouted at by a taxi driver because I was walking in the carriageway,
on one of the streets perpendicular to Oxford Street. When I asked him
what I had done that was illegal, he threatened to hit me. So I pre-empted
him by punching him through his open window. He then threatened to call
the police. When I took my iPhone out of my pocket and dialed 999, he
drove away. I think I split his nose, as he was bleeding onto his top
lip.

Old September 4th 18, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
NY

"Bruce 'Not Glug' Lee" wrote in
message ...
TMS320 wrote:
On 31/08/18 13:13, NY wrote:

As a pedestrian, I would never step off the pavement unless I could see
that the road was clear: I would never *make* a car stop for me with the
single exception of a zebra crossing.

That's the observed behaviour of most pedestrians in the UK, which
drivers have come to take advantage of. It requires agility and a plan B
to assert your rights. And we don't have presumed liability as a backup.

I would say that the one place where pedestrians should NEVER cross unless
the road is clear is at a junction, because drivers cannot see round the
corner until they get very close, and they are then concentrating on other
vehicles to whom they may have to give way or who should give way to them.
That is why I would never assume that car is going to stop for me: it has
always bewildered me that road traffic laws were ever made in that way.
Making a vehicle stop half-way round a junction is a Bad Idea, because it
blocks traffic behind them that is *not* turning.

And my question still stands: how far along the road that the pedestrians
are crossing do "zebra crossing" rules apply? If a pedestrian is standing at
the kerb, waiting to cross (ie not yet in the road), I am not normally
required to stop for him, except if there is a zebra crossing or if it is at
a junction - but how far from that junction does the obligation stop? I'd
say roughly the line of the buildings on the road that I am about to join.

None of this negates the common sense rule that if a pedestrian is already
in the road all other vehicles (and yes, that includes bicycles!) should do
their level best to stop for them, irrespective of who has precedence over
whom.

When I use a zebra crossing, I never step blindly into the road. I assert my
intention to cross by standing there, usually establish eye contact with the
driver and wait until the car is stopped (or is clearly going to have
stopped before it reaches the zebra markings) and only then step of the
kerb. The fact that legally a car travelling at any speed *must* stop for a
pedestrian waiting at a zebra crossing is not something I want to rely on...

What are the *official* rules about pedestrians who walk into the middle of
a zebra crossing and then stand there - eg when making a protest? Is there
some sort of rule that says that this is abusing the use of crossing which
is designed for people to cross? Do the police have any powers to move
someone on if they either stand on the zebra or keep crossing backwards and
forwards, clearly not using the crossing to get from one side of the road
and then continue their journey in the same direction without doubling back.

Old September 4th 18, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

As a pedestrian, I would never step off the pavement unless I could see
that the road was clear: I would never *make* a car stop for me with the
single exception of a zebra crossing.

That's the observed behaviour of most pedestrians in the UK, which
drivers have come to take advantage of. It requires agility and a plan B
to assert your rights. And we don't have presumed liability as a backup.

I would say that the one place where pedestrians should NEVER cross unless
the road is clear is at a junction, because drivers cannot see round the
corner until they get very close,

Transponder receivers are so cheap they should be mandatory in every vehicle.

The transponders are even cheaper and could be worn by cyclists, pedestrians and motorcyclists who want to stay alive.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/lnf9rduKhuY

If I can't get cyclists groups on it I'll go to the insurance industry.

Bret Cahill

Old September 4th 18, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Nick Finnigan

On 04/09/2018 11:23, NY wrote:

I would say that the one place where pedestrians should NEVER cross unless
the road is clear is at a junction,

If you want to say that, explain when 'the road is clear'.

And my question still stands: how far along the road that the pedestrians
are crossing do "zebra crossing" rules apply? If a pedestrian is standing
at the kerb, waiting to cross (ie not yet in the road), I am not normally
required to stop for him, except if there is a zebra crossing or if it is
at a junction - but how far from that junction does the obligation stop?

You are not required to stop for a pedestrian standing on the kerb even
at a zebra.

What are the *official* rules about pedestrians who walk into the middle of
a zebra crossing and then stand there - eg when making a protest?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...lation/19/made

19. No pedestrian shall remain on the carriageway within the limits of a
crossing longer than is necessary for that pedestrian to pass over the
crossing with reasonable despatch.

Is there
some sort of rule that says that this is abusing the use of crossing which
is designed for people to cross? Do the police have any powers to move
someone on if they either stand on the zebra or keep crossing backwards and
forwards, clearly not using the crossing to get from one side of the road
and then continue their journey in the same direction without doubling back.

Yes.

Very interesting article colwyn[_2_] UK 0 April 8th 15 11:02 AM
Interesting article Doki UK 6 May 7th 08 06:48 PM
Good article in the NY Times to day about bikes & cars sharing the road Anthony A. General 2 June 5th 07 10:14 PM
AN interesting article Colorado Bicycler General 9 November 27th 05 08:28 PM
Road design - interesting article Huw Australia 2 December 24th 04 05:15 AM