Bar end shifter problem

Old September 5th 05, 11:46 PM
Ted Bennett

Default Bar end shifter problem

After removal and reinstallation[1], the shifters seem to have lost
their clicks in the middle three or four gears. It's been a while since
I rode this bike, but if I recall correctly it smartly snapped from gear
to gear. I don't mind friction shifting, but it's a little disorienting
to have this mixture of indexing and friction.

Is there any way that I could have messed up the installation and caused
this? Any cure that I could try? These are Shimano 8-speed.

[1] This was done to allow replacement of the original Mafac Racer brake
levers with up-to-date levers. What a difference! More effective and
more comfortable to boot. The old levers are from the Age of Drillium
(lots of holes) and still have the original gum hoods. If anybody wants
them, I don't.

--
Ted Bennett
Old September 5th 05, 11:59 PM
tlarwa

There is a ring on the side of the shifter that allows you to set the
shifter to friction or SIS, depending on how the ring is postioned.

Old September 6th 05, 02:27 AM
Ted Bennett

"tlarwa" wrote:

There is a ring on the side of the shifter that allows you to set the
shifter to friction or SIS, depending on how the ring is postioned.

It's in SIS. In friction mode, there are no clicks at all, of course.

"Ted Bennett" wrote

Old September 6th 05, 02:42 AM
Gary Jacobson

"Ted Bennett" wrote
After removal and reinstallation[1], the shifters seem to have lost
their clicks in the middle three or four gears.

--
Ted Bennett

I just dug up Sheldon's reply to a similar querry I had a while back:

Gary Jacobson wrote:
I can't seem to get a set of Shimano indexed 8 speed bar end shifters to
index properly.
This is not a question of compatibility, I trust and hope. Not the
Dura-Ace
Vs. Ultegra issue.
The rear deraillure is a Sachs New Success.
Is there a set up trick issue that I haven't figured out?

The casting that mounts into the handlebar has a square fitting. The
adaptor bushing of the shifter has a matching square hole. You may have
it rotated 90 degrees or 180 degrees from the correct orientation.

Sheldon "Been There, Done That" Brown

Old September 6th 05, 03:48 AM
Ted Bennett

"Ted Bennett" wrote

Gary Jacobson wrote:
I can't seem to get a set of Shimano indexed 8 speed bar end shifters to
index properly.
This is not a question of compatibility, I trust and hope. Not the
Dura-Ace
Vs. Ultegra issue.
The rear deraillure is a Sachs New Success.
Is there a set up trick issue that I haven't figured out?

The casting that mounts into the handlebar has a square fitting. The
adaptor bushing of the shifter has a matching square hole. You may have
it rotated 90 degrees or 180 degrees from the correct orientation.

Sheldon "Been There, Done That" Brown

Thanks, Gary (and Sheldon!). You nailed it.

--
Ted Bennett