Chain wear and cassette question

Old Yesterday, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Chain wear and cassette question

On 2018-11-11 13:05, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 8:09:53 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:

Oh I would but then my wife would make me chuck the trusty old road
bike I had since 1982 and I can't bring myself to do that. Yet.

God knows why.

Maybe a bit of nostalgia but most of all I do not like to ditch stuff
that is still perfectly working. Just like a former colleague who used a
1954 Chevy pickup truck as his daily driver. On days when he didn't have
anything to pick up from Home Depot he often used their early 50's Chevy
Bel Air. Both surprisingly low maintenance.

I've got to think a 1950s Chevy needs a LOT of maintenance compared with
a modern car.

I've kept the maintenance log notebooks from almost every vehicle I
owned. The ones I had in the 1970s seemed pretty good to me at the time.
But when I resurrected their notebooks out of curiosity (Kawasaki
motorcycle, Corvair Corsa, Honda Civic) I was astonished at how often I
was fixing things.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old Yesterday, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 6:59:22 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/11/2018 4:05 PM, jbeattie wrote:
My point is that low gears and fat tires make for a more versatile bike -- and those are two things you can't get on your current bike. You'll never be able to use a 30mm tire,

I wonder if that's really true. That 1972 Raleigh I still use for some
rides has 32mm (AKA 1 1/4") tires on it right now, with no problems.

That's the difference in ten years and perhaps brands. Joerg is stuck at 25mm -- or at least that's what he's running. The bike is sized for 49mm drop caliper, if I'm reading his posts correctly. That might get you a 28mm, but probably not.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

On 2018-11-11 13:05, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Not to mention the expected routine maintenance: Points, plugs, check
ignition timing and dwell, valve lash, lubricate dozens of thirsty
little zerk fittings ...