chain stretch, cassette wear and joining links

Old September 7th 04, 06:38 AM
xisle

Default chain stretch, cassette wear and joining links

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I bought a SRAM Powerlink at th
same time as I got this chain. Maybe I'll invest in another chain too
Either that or keep an eye on the length and start swapping it with th
current chain when they become the same length.

The mechanic didn't have a lot of pimples, what he did have though wa
a shiny cannondale road bike covered in Dura Ace. I reckon he mus
have replaced the chain, cassette and chainrings and monthl
intervals.

suzyj: The reason I buy shimano chains is this same mechanic advise
that I shouldn't use SRAM chains on Shimano cassettes. Now I'm gettin
the feeling that he actually follows the instructions on his shampo
which advise to only use the conditioner from the same company.

mfhor: lets hope that sram have improved their links in the last fe
years

--
xisle

Old September 7th 04, 06:56 AM
hippy

"xisle" wrote
mfhor: lets hope that sram have improved their links in the last few
years.

Anecdotal evidence isn't too useful unless you
have enough respondants to spot an obvious
trend..

Having said that.. I use SRAM powerlinks on
Ultegra roadie (Ultegra and SRAM chains) and
on the singlespeed with the original 7spd Shimano
chain and no probs so far (few thousand hard kays
on both bikes).

hippy

Old September 7th 04, 07:05 AM
suzyj

xisle wrote:

suzyj: The reason I buy shimano chains is this same mechanic
advised that I shouldn't use SRAM chains on Shimano cassettes.
Now I'm getting the feeling that he actually follows th

instructions
on his shampoo which advise to only use the conditioner from the
same company.

The nice thing about the SRAM chains is that you don't need a specia
pin to join them, they just work. I can understand the reasonin
behind Shimano (and Campy) insisting that you use only matching bits.
It's easier just to say no than to go through a suck-it-and-se
exercise. At least that way you have predictable results.

mfhor: lets hope that sram have improved their links in the
last few years.

FWIW, I've been using SRAM chains ever since they were called Sedis
without ever breaking one. They're good gear.

Regards,

Suz

--
suzyj

Old September 7th 04, 02:18 PM
Geoff

"xisle" wrote in message

mfhor: lets hope that sram have improved their links in the last few
years.

I've used the PC59 and more recently the PC99 SRAM chains with the Gold link
ever since the original Shimano 105 chain that came with my bike reached the
end of it's life over four years ago. I've never had a problem with the
link breaking and I have not heard of anyone else breaking one either, so it
looks to me as if this problem is no longer an issue.

btw. The PC99 is the longest lasting, best shifting, quietest chain I have
used to date on a road bike. I use this chain with both an SRAM 9R and an
Ultegra Cassette. So far the PC99 Chain has about 5500km on it and it still
feels good.

Geoff

Old September 8th 04, 02:10 AM
mfhor

xisle Wrote:
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I bought a SRAM Powerlink at th
same time as I got this chain. Maybe I'll invest in another chain too
Either that or keep an eye on the length and start swapping it with th
current chain when they become the same length.
The mechanic didn't have a lot of pimples, what he did have though wa
a shiny cannondale road bike covered in Dura Ace. I reckon he mus
have replaced the chain, cassette and chainrings and monthl
intervals.

mfhor: lets hope that sram have improved their links in the last fe
years.

Well, the trouble I and a few others had seemed to be just after SRA
had bought out Sedis, and the chains were always good, as far as
could tell. It was some of these early Powerlinks that didn't like t
be bent sideways, it seemed. They were made in Portugal, or so it sai
on the packet. Someone told me it was because the steel they made the
out of was too brittle.

The Wipperman Connex links are a slightly different shape, and ar
easier to pull apart for maintainance. I find that the SRAM links ten
to get a bit embedded and can be a bit hard on the fingers to ge
apart. Anyone else found this?

M "How do you get an expensive chain? Every time you break it, insert
Shimano chain pin"

--
mfhor