"UK minister backs call for more traffic police to protect cyclists"

Old June 30th 08, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default "UK minister backs call for more traffic police to protect cyclists"

"In an unexpected development at a meeting today of the Parliamentary
Transport Select Committee’s inquiry on road safety Britain’s
Transport Minister Jim Fitzpatrick MP backed calls for more traffic
police on the streets to protect cyclists and pedestrians. Up until
now the official line has been non-commital on the need for extra
traffic officers while at the same time stressing the deterrent value
of traffic calming measures and speed cameras. ..."

More at http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...cyclists-16610.
It's not on Hansard yet.

Personally I think this is great news. While undoubtedly there are a
significant number of law-breaking cyclists, I think the large
majority (at least in the places I cycle) are more sinned against than
sinning. Getting the message out that drivers who offend against
cyclists are more likely to be caught can only improve safety on the
roads for everyone.

Ideally I don't think it should be specific traffic officers for
cyclists/peds. All traffic officers should have training on issues
related to non-motorised road users. But it's a start.

Rob
Old June 30th 08, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On 30 Jun, 15:45, wrote:
Personally I think this is great news. *While undoubtedly there are a
significant number of law-breaking cyclists, I think the large
majority (at least in the places I cycle) are more sinned against than
sinning.

More nicking or deterring of both bad cyclists and bad drivers would
help.

Is it just me noticing it or has the number of drivers talking on
their hand-held mobiles crept back up again? It seemed to stop for a
while when it was made an offence but there seems to be loads again
now.
Old June 30th 08, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PK[_2_]

"POHB" wrote in message
On 30 Jun, 15:45, wrote:
Personally I think this is great news. While undoubtedly there are a
significant number of law-breaking cyclists, I think the large
majority (at least in the places I cycle) are more sinned against than
sinning.

Is it just me noticing it or has the number of drivers talking on
their hand-held mobiles crept back up again? It seemed to stop for a
while when it was made an offence but there seems to be loads again
now.

No, its not just you. I notice it very frequently in SW London - phone in
one hand other hand on gear lever in a regular sight!

...... and it's not just drivers, twice in a 15 minute car journey this am in
Wimbledon, I had to modify my driving to take account of cyclists meandering
along oblivious to the traffic around them while they chatted on the phone.

Last week I came across an all time classic:

No hands, in the middle of the traffic lane - the wrong one! - talking on
his mobile heading straight for me. I stopped (traffic coming the other way
prevented me pulling out to pass him) , he steered no hands onto the
pavement via a dropped pavement and carried on cycling and chatting along
the pavement. And, no he did not even nod in acknowledgment as he passed by.

pk

Old June 30th 08, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PoB

Is it just me noticing it or has the number of drivers talking on
their hand-held mobiles crept back up again? It seemed to stop for a
while when it was made an offence but there seems to be loads again
now.

It's not just you...

Drivers have realised that unless a policemen actually happens to be right
next to them with nothing else to do, when they get out their mobiles,
nothing will happen.

Then again, I regularly see cyclists on the road chatting happily into their
hand-helds (or texting) too, which also needs to be looked into.

pOB

Old June 30th 08, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_4_]

On 30/06/2008 16:34, POHB said,

Is it just me noticing it or has the number of drivers talking on
their hand-held mobiles crept back up again? It seemed to stop for a
while when it was made an offence but there seems to be loads again
now.

I'm not sure it ever stopped!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old June 30th 08, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ken[_4_]

"POHB" wrote in message
On 30 Jun, 15:45, wrote:
Personally I think this is great news. While undoubtedly there are a
significant number of law-breaking cyclists, I think the large
majority (at least in the places I cycle) are more sinned against than
sinning.

More nicking or deterring of both bad cyclists and bad drivers would
help.

Is it just me noticing it or has the number of drivers talking on
their hand-held mobiles crept back up again? It seemed to stop for a
while when it was made an offence but there seems to be loads again
now.

While waitng our turn to disembark at dover this morning on the Bike
Express, a 40ton truck passed with the driver texting and with an operating
open laptop next to him.

Ken.

Old June 30th 08, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Steve

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 07:45:53 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

"In an unexpected development at a meeting today of the Parliamentary
Transport Select Committee¢s inquiry on road safety Britain¢s
Transport Minister Jim Fitzpatrick MP backed calls for more traffic
police on the streets to protect cyclists and pedestrians. Up until
now the official line has been non-commital on the need for extra
traffic officers while at the same time stressing the deterrent value
of traffic calming measures and speed cameras. ..."

More at
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...cyclists-16610.
It's not on Hansard yet.

Personally I think this is great news.

It will only be good news if this is reflected in the police spending
decisions.

Given that this government has reduced traffic police number to less than
50% of what they were, you have to assume this is just another politician
spouting bull****.

Steve
Old July 1st 08, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dead Paul

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 08:34:13 -0700, POHB wrote:

On 30 Jun, 15:45, wrote:
Personally I think this is great news. Â*While undoubtedly there are a
significant number of law-breaking cyclists, I think the large
majority (at least in the places I cycle) are more sinned against than
sinning.

More nicking or deterring of both bad cyclists and bad drivers would
help.

Is it just me noticing it or has the number of drivers talking on
their hand-held mobiles crept back up again? It seemed to stop for a
while when it was made an offence but there seems to be loads again
now.

Don't know whether it's gone up but I find that most of them drive
posh/sport type cars. Snotty gets.

--
___ _______ ___ ___ ___ __ ____
/ _ \/ __/ _ | / _ \ / _ \/ _ |/ / / / /

Old July 1st 08, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Clayton

"Steve" Personally I think this is great
news.

It will only be good news if this is reflected in the police spending
decisions.

Given that this government has reduced traffic police number to less than
50% of what they were, you have to assume this is just another politician
spouting bull****.

Steve

Please Lord, not yet another "strategy" announcement that has, in truth no
substance, intent or life beyond the announcement itself.

What an utterly corny way to conduct public life.

We really would be fools to imagine this would give us better protection as
cyclists or pedestrians.

John

Old July 2nd 08, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 30 Jun, 15:45, wrote:
Personally I think this is great news. While undoubtedly there are a
significant number of law-breaking cyclists, I think the large
majority (at least in the places I cycle) are more sinned against than
sinning.

More nicking or deterring of both bad cyclists and bad drivers would
help.

Is it just me noticing it or has the number of drivers talking on
their hand-held mobiles crept back up again? It seemed to stop for a
while when it was made an offence but there seems to be loads again
now.

Don't know whether it's gone up but I find that most of them drive
posh/sport type cars. Snotty gets.

It might be worth distinguishing between posh (mercs, bmw, 4x4) and
sports type cars.

Despite a natural prejudice I have found sports car owners to be among
the most courteous drivers on the road. I suspect this is because many
of the sports car owners genuinely love cars and driving rather than
just want everyone to know how important they are.