"Roads in America are getting deadlier, especially if you’re walking"

Old April 2nd 17, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default "Roads in America are getting deadlier, especially if you’re walking"

Many who ride or walk the streets have been saying that they think it's getting more dangerous out there than it was when we were younger. Seems like we're not just imagining things after all.

"Roads in America are getting deadlier, especially if you’re walking"

https://qz.com/947119/pedestrians-ac...rs/?yptr=yahoo

"Texting while driving is rightfully admonished, but alarming new statistics show that pedestrians, too, need to keep their eyes on the road.

Nearly 6,000 pedestrians were killed on US roads last year, an 11% increase from 2015, according to projections released this week by the Governors Highway Safety Association (pdf). It was the highest rate of increase in at least four decades, as far back as the data go. Pedestrian deaths accounted for 15% of the total traffic fatalities in the US, the largest portion in 25 years, said the report, based on preliminary 2016 data from 50 states and Washington, DC.

US roadways are becoming more dangerous in general even as automakers have added safety features such as backup cameras to give drivers better views. Yet in 2015, the number of traffic fatalities rose 7.2%, the most in 50 years.

Snipped

But regardless of whether you consider it a tool or a vice, pedestrians who travel at slower speeds than the 3,000-pound hunks of steel with whom they share the road—and don’t generally walk around with anti-crash sensors—need to be extra careful. US cities may want to look to the Dutch, who have put traffic lights on the ground in one town, so phone zombies might see them."

You really do need to stasy alert if you ride or walk in traffic and that's because you CAN NOY DEPEND on a driver to see you. Or you might have to take emergency evasive action to avoid hitting a texting pedestrian yourself.

Cheers
Old April 3rd 17, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/2/2017 4:45 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I really do need to update my mental notes on pedestrian
fatalities. I keep thinking of them as being about 4300 per year in the
U.S., but it is higher lately.

Walking is _so_ much more dangerous than riding a bike.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 3rd 17, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 7:22:41 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Not that you care or would ever consider, BUT the roads out there are getting more dangerous for everyone as more and more people are very distracted with electronic gadgets these days. The roads weren't nealy as bad thirty years ago. You really do need to keep a look out for those distracted persons whetjer they be a bicyclist, driver or pedestrians.

Cheers
Old April 3rd 17, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 16:29:16 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

[...]

I recently came across some statistics which showed that in 1990 (27
years ago) there were 167 million licensed drivers and in 2014 there
were 214 million, An increase of about 2 million drivers a year. And
given that (I believe) the average Usian family now owns 1.9 cars per
family there are obviously far more cars per mile of roads than there
were 30 years ago.

It may be a bit whimsical but based on an average automobile length of
190 inches it will require the building of some 6,000 miles of new
roads annually to maintain the current traffic density On second
thought we need to add say 3 feet between the cars so the distance
becomes 190+36 which is 7,133 miles per year of new road, just to stay
even :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old April 3rd 17, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 13:45:09 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

"Roads in America are getting deadlier, especially if you’re walking"
https://qz.com/947119/pedestrians-ac...rs/?yptr=yahoo

I tried to trace back the source of the statistics behind the graph.
The link points to a statistical graph generator site:
https://www.theatlas.com/charts/r1cSYkn3x
which claims that the data came from the NHTSA, but without providing
a link to the exact source. I think these annual reports are the
source, but I don't want to reconstruct the data. Too much work:
https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812318
"Pedestrian fatalities increased by 466, a 9.5-percent
increase. The 2015 pedestrian fatality count (5,376) is the
highest number since 1996."
Kinda looks like the numbers might be real, but I'm not really sure.

Also, this might offer some insight:
http://www.tac.vic.gov.au/road-safety/statistics/summaries/pedestrian-statistics
Notice the age distribution of pedestrian fatalities.
60% lost their lives on roads signposted at 60km/h or
lower (33% of these were aged 70+).
33% of pedestrians who lost their lives were aged 70+.
The report is from Victoria, Australia. I couldn't find a similar
report for the entire USA.

I would dig deeper, but I'm still not quite done preparing the lies
and deceptions needed to prepare my 2016 income taxes. Maybe later...

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old April 3rd 17, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

... the roads out there are getting more dangerous for everyone
as more and more people are very distracted with electronic
gadgets these days. The roads weren't nealy as bad thirty
years ago. You really do need to keep a look out for those
distracted persons whetjer they be a bicyclist, driver or
pedestrians.

I would agree. Traffic density is becoming higher. Locally, it's
heavy but tolerable during commute hours, but really dangerous around
pickup and drop-off times for the schools.

However, you don't need a vehicle to injure or kill pedestrians.
Pedestrians can handle the job themselves:
http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/distractwalk.htm
It's not texting that's causing the injuries. It's talking:
"For pedestrians, talking on the phone accounted for about
69 percent of injuries, compared to texting, which accounted
for about 9 percent."

One can extract quite a few logical conclusions from such information,
most of which would be wrong. The only things I can deduce from the
data a
- A large portion of the population has difficulties multitasking.
- Given a choice of paying attention to using a smartphone while,
walking, driving, or cycling, the phone will get the most
attention.

Might as well take the plunge: You're probably safer on a bicycle
than walking because it's more difficult to talk or text on a
smartphone while cycling than while walking.

Old April 3rd 17, 04:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/2/2017 7:29 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

30 years ago there were about 950 bicyclist fatalities in the U.S. In
fact, 1987 was the second worst year since 1975; only 1980 was worse.

2010 had the lowest fatality count in all those years, just 610. Counts
have risen since then, but it's hard to definitely say why. More people
using bikes? More distracted driving? Or just regression to the mean?

--
- Frank Krygowski