Bicycle commuting

Old July 22nd 03, 03:52 PM
Steve

Default Bicycle commuting

Congress to bikers: Get a car

A house subcommittee has voted to cut all funding for bike paths and
other pollution-free transportation programs.

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/20...ths/index.html

Old July 22nd 03, 08:11 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:52:59 GMT, Steve wrote:

A house subcommittee has voted to cut all funding for bike paths and
other pollution-free transportation programs.

That's because they don't burn oil - any journey accomplished without
buning oil is subversive and un-American. If the last year has taught
us anything it must surely be that oil is everything to the current
administration. America is an oiligarchy now!

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
[currently offline awaiting ADSL transfer to new ISP]
Old July 23rd 03, 01:18 AM
Mark Hickey

Steve wrote:

Congress to bikers: Get a car

A house subcommittee has voted to cut all funding for bike paths and
other pollution-free transportation programs.

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/20...ths/index.html

Bike commuters ride on the road, not bike paths. The only ones who'll
suffer are rollerbladers and dog walkers.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old July 23rd 03, 01:58 AM
aeiouy

news

"Steve" wrote in message
news
Congress to bikers: Get a car

A house subcommittee has voted to cut all funding for bike paths and
other pollution-free transportation programs.

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/20...ths/index.html

Those F*&#@$^%^^!&()@#$(*_&()!!!! They can't come up with $600 million for
an entire year as we burn through a billion a week in Iraq. If anybody
knows a link to how the members voted on the measure please post it. If you
live in their district here's where to let them know what you think:

Subcommittee on Transportation, Treasury and Independent Agencies
2358 Rayburn HOB
Washington, D.C. 20515

Ernest J. Istook, Jr., Oklahoma (CH)
Oklahoma-5th, Republican
2404 Rayburn HOB
Washington, DC 20515-3605
Phone: (202) 225-2132

John W. Olver, Massachusetts
Massachusetts-1st, Democrat
1027 Longworth HOB
Washington, DC 20515-2101
Phone: (202) 225-5335

Frank R. Wolf, Virginia
Virginia-10th, Republican
241 Cannon HOB
Washington, DC 20515-4610
Phone: (202) 225-5136

Ed Pastor, Arizona
Arizona-4th, Democrat
2465 Rayburn HOB
Washington, DC 20515-0304
Phone: (202) 225-4065

Jerry Lewis, California
California-41st, Republican
2112 Rayburn HOB
Washington, DC 20515-0541
Phone: (202) 225-5861

Carolyn C. Kilpatrick, Michigan
Michigan-13th, Democrat
1610 Longworth HOB
Washington, DC 20515-2213
Phone: (202) 225-2261

Harold Rogers, Kentucky
Kentucky-5th, Republican
2406 Rayburn HOB
Washington, DC 20515-1705
Phone: (202) 225-4601

James E. Clyburn, South Carolina
South Carolina-6th, Democrat
2135 Rayburn HOB
Washington, DC 20515-4006
Phone: (202) 225-3315

Todd Tiahrt, Kansas (VC)
Kansas-4th, Republican
2441 Rayburn HOB
Washington, DC 20515-1604
Phone: (202) 225-6216

Steven R. Rothman, New Jersey
New Jersey-9th, Democrat
1607 Longworth HOB
Washington, DC 20515-3009
Phone: (202) 225-5061

Anne Northup, Kentucky
Kentucky-3rd, Republican
1004 Longworth HOB
Washington, DC 20515-1703
Phone: (202) 225-5401

Robert Aderholt, Alabama
Alabama-4th, Republican
1433 Longworth HOB
Washington, DC 20515-0104
Phone: (202) 225-4876

John E. Sweeney, New York
New York-20th, Republican
416 Cannon HOB
Washington, DC 20515-3220
Phone: (202) 225-5614

John Abney Culberson, Texas
Texas-7th, Republican
1728 Longworth HOB
Washington, DC 20515-4307
Phone: (202) 225-2571

Old July 23rd 03, 08:40 AM
Donny Harder Jr.

In article ,
"Scott Bonner" wrote:

I ride a bike, and I drive a car. I never ride on bike paths, as they are
usually poorly designed, and then drivers get ****ed off when you dare get
on "their" rode.

Learn to ride on the road, and then all the new roads are new bike paths.

That is all well and fine. I, too, tend to stick to the streets. But
here in Chicago we have bike lanes that are nicely placed on the
streets. This funding might help out with making more miles a reality in
the city. Of course, we'll never know. There are also projects afoot in
the area to expand some of our out-of-the-city paths, which are
excellent, traffic- and trouble-free ways to bike. This is no good, no
matter how you cut it.

Typical, though, of narrow-minded politicians, though, who look as far
as the end of their noses. Support big business, big pollution and is
astonished when the inevitable happens. The good thing: EVENTUALLY, we
will run out of oil. I shall wave cheerfully at the $50,000 SUVs parked
in every American driveway.
Old July 23rd 03, 12:29 PM
Jon Bloom

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 03:40:42 -0400, Donny Harder Jr. wrote:

Typical, though, of narrow-minded politicians, though, who look as far
as the end of their noses. Support big business, big pollution and is
astonished when the inevitable happens. The good thing: EVENTUALLY, we
will run out of oil. I shall wave cheerfully at the $50,000 SUVs parked
in every American driveway.

No, you won't. You'll be too busy dodging the ex-drivers who've pulled
the old Huffy out of the back of the garage and are wobbling up the hill
on the way to work while they listen to their portable stereo using
headphones. :-)

Jon
Old July 23rd 03, 03:08 PM
henry

No, you won't. You'll be too busy dodging the ex-drivers who've pulled
the old Huffy out of the back of the garage and are wobbling up the hill
on the way to work while they listen to their portable stereo using
headphones. :-)

Jon

don't forget the cell phone......

Old July 23rd 03, 07:13 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 07:47:59 -0400, Jon Bloom wrote:

This also eliminates the funding for ROAD improvements for cycling.

Naturally. SUV makers are trying to sell into other markets, so they
are having to reduce the crappy gas mileage of their behemoths. Only
by eliminating benign modes altogether can the US continue to buck the
global trend and reduce the average mpg of it's vehicles.

Guy
===
Old July 23rd 03, 11:42 PM
Goimir

Jon Bloom wrote:

e bill at issue would eliminate Transportation Enhancement funding. This
is precisely the funding used to widen shoulders, provide ped/cycle access
to bridges and make various safety improvments that affect cyclists and
pedestrians.

Bottom line: Unless all of your riding is on single track, this proposed
cut in funding very much affects you.

I don't really see what the big attraction is to shoulders, anyway.
They're always filled with glass, gravel, litter, cigarette butts, and
other wonderful things. Better off in the lane, which is kept clean by
traffic. Let the motorists pass you when it's convenient and safe.

The only thing I could really see this affecting is traffic signals.
But isn't that covered under some other act/publication? Something
about universal accessability? Don't sensors have to pick up all valid
traffic, or they are considered "broken"? And if the signal is broken,
treat it as a 4 way stop.

I think we can ride on the road. Let's not lose our rights to it by
demanding special facilities(cycle paths that let us avoid roads, or
special lanes where we must ride when they are present).

I'm not talking about breaking the law, or cvffvat people off, just
getting from point a to point b, on the roads that we are entitled to
use, in a safe and speedy manner.
Old July 24th 03, 10:09 PM
R15757

will run out of oil. I shall wave cheerfully at the $50,000 SUVs parked
in every American driveway.

No, you won't. You'll be too busy dodging the ex-drivers who've pulled
the old Huffy out of the back of the garage and are wobbling up the hill
on the way to work while they listen to their portable stereo using
headphones. :-)

Jon

Nah, you'll be busy dodging hydrogen-powered SUV's. Just because the fuel is
gone doesn't mean the cars will also be gone.

Robert

Commuting folder recommendations? Steven M. Scharf General 3 July 24th 03 04:30 PM
From a Melbourne bicycle courier. hippy General 2 July 22nd 03 01:46 AM
Clean bicycle shoes? TekBuf General 3 July 14th 03 05:05 PM
Commuter Bicycle with fenders, chainguard, rack, etc., Any available in the U.S.? Steven M. Scharf General 3 July 13th 03 04:40 PM
Bicycle Courier Business Plan http://www.businessplanning-4-you.com General 0 July 12th 03 12:41 PM