Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

Old July 14th 03, 02:26 PM
JJuggle

Default Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

RIDING HIGH

AP
64 words
The Commercial Appeal
Final
DS4
English
Copyright (c) 2003 Bell & Howell Information and Learning Company. All
rights reserved.

Mississippi State University employee 'Jim Schrock'
(http://tinyurl.com/gvc3) was riding high Friday as he negotiated his
way across the Starkville campus on his 6-foot Schwinn unicycle. Schrock
is lab operations superintendent for MSU's Department of Aerospace
Engineering, which is part of the Bagley College of Engineering. He also
is a member of the local unicycle club.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Well, we have to find out right now,
what kind of ice cream do these martians like.
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Old July 14th 03, 02:28 PM
JJuggle

POLICE HUNT UNICYCLE THIEF

107 words
Newsquest Media Group Newspapers: This is the North East
English
c Copyright 2003 Newsquest Digital Media.

POLICE are looking for a thief who stole a unicycle from a shed.

The silver machine, with a red-and-black seat, was taken, along with an
old air rifle, from the house in Eppleby, near Richmond.

The owner is a member of a local circus troupe and, although the
burglary took place on June 30, details were only released yesterday.

"The thief would probably be a tad conspicuous if he used the unicycle
himself," said a police spokesman.

Anyone who knows anything about the raid or may have been offered such a
bike is asked to contact police on (01609) 783131.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Old July 14th 03, 02:51 PM
U-Turn

JJuggle wrote:
*RIDING HIGH

AP
64 words
The Commercial Appeal
Final
DS4
English
Copyright (c) 2003 Bell & Howell Information and Learning Company. All
rights reserved.

Mississippi State University employee 'Jim Schrock'
(http://tinyurl.com/gvc3) was riding high Friday as he negotiated his
way across the Starkville campus on his 6-foot Schwinn unicycle.
Schrock is lab operations superintendent for MSU's Department of
Aerospace Engineering, which is part of the Bagley College of
Engineering. He also is a member of the local unicycle club.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ *

The neat thing that the link brings out is that Jim Schrock helps build
experimental aircraft and is a tenor, which is the highest male vocal
range; by adding riding a giraffe he's an all-round high guy.

--
U-Turn - Mounting a Revolution

Weep in the dojo... laugh in the battlefield.

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

Old July 14th 03, 03:03 PM
JJuggle

U-Turn wrote:
*and is a tenor, which is the highest male vocal range*

You mean you've never heard of Michael Aspinall, the Surprising
Soprano?

[image: http://www.durbeckarchive.com/images/parody10.jpg]

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Old July 15th 03, 01:39 AM
Gardner

In article ,
U-Turn writes:

a tenor, which is the highest male vocal range

....apart from countertenor and castrato... and if you
have a viscount saddle, you know that the last one is no
joke.

Gardner Buchanan
Ottawa, ON FreeBSD: Where you want to go. Today.
Old July 16th 03, 08:09 PM
JJuggle

'One wheel is enough' (http://tinyurl.com/h51r).

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Hey punk where you going with those beads around your neck?
Well, I'm going to see my shrink so he can help me be a nervous wreck.
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Old July 16th 03, 08:48 PM
chirokid

JJuggle wrote:
*'One wheel is enough' (http://tinyurl.com/h51r).
Raphael Lasar *

Awesome Article Raphael. Great looking kid too. He has "confident"
written all over him. --chirokid--

--
chirokid
chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

Old July 21st 03, 09:18 PM
JJuggle

UNICYCLE UNITY DRAWS MEMBERS OF NEW VISION

SHIRLEY DANG - The Oregonian
757 words
The Oregonian
SUNRISE
10
English
Copyright (c) 2003 Bell & Howell Information and Learning Company. All
rights reserved.

BEAVERTON

performance in a Beaverton parade

The church that prays together, unicycles together.

That philosophy led 11-year-old Laura and 9-year-old Allison Millar to
the One-Wheeled Wonders, a unicycling group from the New Vision
Fellowship church that will take its place July 19 in the Beaverton
SummerFest Parade.

The group debuted at the event two summers ago, a trail of streamers
fluttering from the cycles' spokes. Laura recalls falling off her yellow
Jugglebug model nearly 10 times last year when she tackled the 2-mile
route for her inaugural ride.

"You definitely get tired after a 2-mile parade," Laura said.

They meet regularly

The Wonders count about 25 members, many of them groups of young
siblings or whole families. They meet regularly at 3:30 p.m. each Sunday
to practice.

Pastor Gene Grass started the group four years ago, channeling his love
of the unicycle to his parish: one wheel, under God.

Occasionally, Grass delivers sermons while idling on his unicycle and
juggling balls. He uses his props to demonstrate various life lessons:
balancing one's responsibilities or having patience.

"I just did it a few weeks ago on endurance," Grass said. "The unicycle
isn't something you learn overnight. It takes endurance."

Laura learned to ride from Grass two years ago on a church loaner. The
seat is swathed in the requisite towel, for comfort, and wound with duct
tape.

Each week, Grass came to the Millar driveway in Hyland Hills.
Eventually, Laura started holding on to her father's car as he chugged
slowly down the street. At the end of her journey, she marked the curb
with chalk, leaving a series of tick marks on the street.

"Every day would be a new record," Laura said.

Stopping takes skill

After learning the crucial skill of stopping -- which essentially
consists of falling forward and catching the seat before it hits the
ground -- Laura is learning to turn, idle and pedal backward.

On a side street near the Millar house, the girls' mother, Anne, holds
out one hand. Laura grasps it, tucks the seat under her blue stretch
pants and pedals haltingly in reverse.

"If you've been unicycling forward for a long time, it feels really
weird going backwards," she said.

Many church members live near the Millars, bringing a whole fleet of
unicycles to the quiet suburban streets.

"It's not unusual to see a one-wheeled rider in this neighborhood," Anne
Millar said. "We're just infested with unicycles."

Friend Julie Liggins counts three boys out of her five children as
unicyclers, with another rider on the way.

"My daughter, who's 6, said she wants a unicycle for Christmas," Liggins
said.

Her son R.J., 13, pioneered the family's obsession four years ago when
he started his one-wheeled hobby. He has mastered the skill so well he
can play saxophone at the same time, as he did in last year's parade.
His 11-year-old brother, Rob, picked up the unicycle soon after, and
8-year-old Alex began in kindergarten.

Rob, an athlete, said unicycling does not compete with his love of other
sports. In fact, he likes to combine them.

"I play basketball and football," Rob said. "I've played both on a
unicycle."

Grass said unicycling helps give families time together to learn
something new, sometimes about each other. And mastering an obscure
skill can be great for kids.

"It's a confidence booster," Grass said. "Maybe they haven't excelled at
something, or maybe they're real studious and kids make fun of them."

All that disappears when the congregation pedals duct-taped vehicles
behind the church each Sunday afternoon, he said.

"One of the neat things is I've got people at all different levels,"
Grass said. "The others encourage them and say, 'I've been there.' "

Laura loves unicycling in a group, to pick up tips or see who's learning
to do tricks such as the bunny hop. It's nice that just being on one
wheel can get you attention, she said.

But she takes an almost Zen view of riding mono.

"I don't think there's a best or worst thing," she said. "You just get
up and go."

Old July 23rd 03, 06:51 PM
GizmoDuck

JJuggle wrote:

MOUNTAIN RUNNING

Any one of the thousands of trekkers who've been to Everest Base Camp
can tell you about the effects of altitude around the Khumbu. It's
difficult enough to breathe the thin oxygen without adding to your
woes by running along the tracks. But, each 18 months, including this
November, that's exactly what happens with the Everest Marathon,
officially listed as the world's highest marathon. The marathon begins
5000 metres above sea level, at Gorak Shep in the shadow of Everest,
and follows trekkers' routes down into Namche Bazaar. Forty-two
kilometres of Himalayan hardship that takes even the best and fittest
about four hours.

The Everest Marathon is a high point - literally - of the world of
mountain running, but it's far from unique. The Brits have been
mountain running - or "fell running" as they call it - for years, and
now the great adventure-racing nation of New Zealand has taken
wholeheartedly to the high sport. Across the Tasman, there are dozens
of events each year, some along New Zealand's most famous walking
routes, such as the Abel Tasman and Kepler Track. Indeed, New
Zealand's Jonathon Wyatt has won three of the last five World Mountain
Running Championships, an annual title "run" since 1985. The
championships will be held this year in Alaska in September.

[/b]

Yeah, go Jonathan- he's our local hero.

And I would love to do the Everest Marathon on a MUni. I'm not sure how
much of the Everest Trek is rideable though. Does anyone know? I spent
most of the time carrying my MUni along the Annapurna Circuit in Nepal
last year.

--
GizmoDuck - One Wheel Drive

My bum was really sore and they made me jump up and down and up and down
and up and down in front of this kid who was laughing at me!