Rim for 26x3 Gazz

Old July 26th 04, 11:46 AM
Gabe

Default Rim for 26x3 Gazz

I need to get a new rim for my 26x3 Gazz. Any recommendations? I live in
a relatively small country town and the local bike shop owner knows
nothing about whats available.

--
Gabe
Gabe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/760

Old July 26th 04, 12:31 PM
wendino

Hi,

take a wide rim like a Sun Double Wide or a AlexRim DX32.

I think min. 28mm wide!

Roland

--
wendino - Der Einradladen

'municycle.com - Der Einradladen' (http://municycle.com)
wendino's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/689

Old July 26th 04, 01:32 PM
andrew_carter

I think you should get a 26" Alex DX-32. They're nice strong rims and
are lighter than some others (particularly the Doublewide). Plus the
26" version is yellow which will match your muni.

I have a 24" Alex DX-32 on my muni - the one I rode in the 24hr.

If you want, Gary could probably bring one along for the 12hr but I
think quite a few bike shops should be able to get them in. I hope you
have everything sorted for the 12hr.

See you soon.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - Quit jivin' me, turkey!

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com

Old July 26th 04, 01:38 PM
Dirtsurfer

The Sun Double wide would be a good choice if you're not using brakes.
If you are, you might want to look at the Halo Combat rim (can be had
with or with out a braking surface, go with the welded over the pinned).
A good heavy duty rim (emphasis on heavy) is the Azonic Momentum DH.
With a 3.0 tire, I personally wouldn't go less than 32 MM wide.

--
Dirtsurfer - One wheeled

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Gandalf the gray
Dirtsurfer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2352

Old July 26th 04, 03:35 PM
pluto

I definately think the best 26 inch big rim is the Mavic 321. It is big
enough (not sure how wide but fairly wide) and claims to be the
strongest rim around and doesn't weigh much either!
Aaron

--
pluto - Muni obsesive

www.freeborn.co.uk

www.cumbriamuni.com

one or two wheels
+ a mountain
= fun
pluto's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3986

Old July 26th 04, 04:10 PM
Frank A.

I've used the Alex DX32 for a few years , works great for me.

- Frank

--
Frank A.

"Man's maturity: to have regained the seriousness that he had as a child
at play." - FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE, Beyond Good and Evil

Frank A.'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1710

Old July 26th 04, 05:28 PM
one wheeled stallion

Halo Combat rims work too, though I can't recall anybody from across the
pond mentioning using one, so they may not be available there.

--
one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

OWS

"I'm going to be polite in this whole message except for here.

Idiot." - John Foss

one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

Old July 26th 04, 06:06 PM
Mojoe

If you want maximum floatation, you could get a Surly Large Marge rim.
They should be in stock next week. You'll need a custom frame though, if
you're using a 26x3, since it makes the tire a bit wider. I've been
using one of the factory samples this summer and it's been a good rim.

Mojoe

--
Mojoe - DILLIGAF

Nothing to see here... move along.
Mojoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/533

Old July 26th 04, 08:49 PM
Gabe

Thanks for the advice. I can get the Sun Double wide or the Alex here in
Oz so I'll get one of those.
Andrew, I'll ring Gary and get one. Yellow sounds good. Everythings
right for the 12hr and I'm riding faster than ever!