Best 3" tire that is not a Gazz?

Old July 27th 04, 08:59 PM
Sofa

Default Best 3" tire that is not a Gazz?

Well...my Gazz is beyond middle age, and I can see some spots that I
hope I don't need to rely on grip for when they are down....

The gazz was really the only 3" option when I got it, and I think it's
probably not worth almost twice the price as something similar these
days...not to mention that a tire 2 or 3mm skinnier would allow for more
clearance, the Gazz's only downside (in my current setup...perhaps it's
the frame's downside? the tire is cheaper to remedy)

What 3" non-Gazz's seem to work best, last longest, look coolest,
ect...

Has anyone used several varieties of 3"rs?

--
Sofa - you - pee - dee

'yea i no allot of mi frends an i r hecka smartr then othr peeple at mi
skool cus we can balense and we can ride farthar then other peeple wich
makes ur bran more exersised an it helps u consentrate an improves ur
mentel stamena' - 1wheelthrilla

'Unicycle Product Reviews' (http://tinyurl.com/368h6) *107* reviews on
*72* products

'London Unicycling Club ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/) (London,
Ontario, Canada)

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old July 27th 04, 09:44 PM
mgrant

I've used the Gazz and the Duro (that's standard on the KH24).

The Gazz is a great tire but I actually prefer the rounder profile of
the Duro. It has sufficient volume to provide a fairly cushy ride. It
rolls well over obstacles and it grips very well.

I think that overall the Duro is a very good alternative to the Gazz.

-mg

--
mgrant - Ever hoping for the best!

The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of
breath, and one day closer to death.
michael_j_grant (at) yahoo (dot) com
Gallery: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/Michael_Grant/
mgrant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/440

Old July 27th 04, 09:51 PM
TheBadger587

i've used the gazz and the arrow racing (standard on a Yuni MUni) the
gazz owns that tire, i wouldn't recommend it over a gazz.

--
TheBadger587

MUni every day.
TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576

Old July 27th 04, 10:34 PM
wendino

Hi,

Sofa wrote:
*

Halo?

*

All the same tires:

Halo Contra - Duro Wildlife - Point Bigfoot

Only the labels are different!

Roland

--
wendino - Der Einradladen

'municycle.com - Der Einradladen' (http://municycle.com)
wendino's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/689

Old July 27th 04, 10:37 PM
Sofa

wendino wrote:
*
Only the labels are different!

Roland *

really? that's good to know!

Old July 27th 04, 10:42 PM
TonyMelton

wendino wrote:
*Hi,

All the same tires:

Halo Contra - Duro Wildlife - Point Bigfoot

Only the labels are different!

Roland *

It's also the same as the Arrow Racing 3 incher!

I have ridden a Duro 24x3" (labelled Arrow Racing) and the Gazz. The
Gazz is a better tyre. I also have a Dyno Fireball 24x3" (hardly ridden)
and an IRC Kujo DH 24x3" (not ridden at all yet). Max Dingemans rode one
of these for a while - try PM'ing him, maybe.

In my opinion the Gazz remains the best 3" tyre for unicycling.

-T()\|y

--
TonyMelton - He's the tucky!

See some photos of the first 'NZ MUni Weekend'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/NZ-MUni-Weekend-2004)
TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

Old July 27th 04, 10:56 PM
Sofa

TonyMelton wrote:
*

In my opinion the Gazz remains the best 3" tyre for unicycling.

-T()\|y *

reaons? i don't mind the clearance issue if the tire is 'actually' that
much better

Old July 27th 04, 11:22 PM
gerblefranklin

Sofa wrote:
*Halo?

Intense? *

Jeff Groves was on a Halo at Cal Muni Weekend 2003. He may have some
opinions on it.

I ride a 24x3 fireball for commuting and an intense 24x3.0 DH comp 60
tire for offroad. At moab I rode Dan Heaton's muni with a Gazz. I
personally think the intense is as good, if not better than the gazz for
90% of the trails I ride. It has more substantial knobbies and seems to
give better grip for hill climbing and descents than the gazz. Also, the
sidewalls are beffier than any other tire on the market. It's most
definitely better than the fireball. The only area that the gazz is
better in (in my opinion) is skinny riding. It has a slightly squarer
profile, which is better for skinies. If I were riding north shore I'd
use a gazz.

Kris Holm was on a Duro at Moab 2004. He said it was a better all around
muni tire due to the rounder profile, but he did say that for hard core
DH and north-shore type riding the gazz excels.

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown
out?

Old July 27th 04, 11:47 PM
Krashin'Kenny

Sofa,
Thanks for starting this thread, it gives me a little more info on
tire alternatives since I didn't get but 1 response to my thread about
the arrow 3"r

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420