Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

Old June 27th 05, 04:39 PM
JJuggle

Default Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

UNICYCLE CHAMPIONS COAST INTO DARWIN

253 words
Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) News
English
(c) 2005 Australian Broadcasting Corporation

With less than a week to go until the National Unicycle Championships,
organisers say Darwin is a natural venue for the growing sport.

World champion Debbie Hyder says schools across the Northern Territory
have taken to her clinics teaching the circus trick.

The event will host team sports like unicycle basketball and hockey as
well as artistic dance-like competitions.

Ms Hyder says Indigenous children have shown a real knack for the
uncanny mode of transport.

"I've been to remote communities teaching some of the Indigenous kids
unicycling and they pick it up within an hour," she said.

"Within an hour they can ride a unicycle but ... we take a week or even
up to 10 weeks to learn how to ride a unicycle.

"Many schools in Darwin now are realising the benefits of unicycling -
it's great for students' self confidence."

Ms Hyder says rider Julien Monney from Switzerland will teach a workshop
then ride his unicycle standing up on the seat, without touching the
pedals.

She has seen him do it and still does not believe it.

"If anybody told me that was possible, I would say rubbish," she said.

"It's impossible to stand on a unicycle seat and coast.

"But if you mention Julien Monney's name in the same sentence, I would
say he can do the impossible.

"He's the only person in the world who's been able to achieve that skill
and it took him many years to achieve."

--
JJuggle - Demon in Disguise

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

I done more for you woman than the good Lord ever done,
Hell, I put hair up on your head and you know He never give you none.
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24