KH24XC - as a heavy-duty cruiser?

Old August 28th 05, 06:33 AM
KnowFear

Default KH24XC - as a heavy-duty cruiser?

I'm thinking of getting a KH24XC and swapping the tire for a Hookworm
and swapping to 127mm cranks. I'm wanting a cruiser that I can use to
do some hopping and gentle drops. I know that the splined crank is
overkill for what I'm intending, but a nice custom wheelset (Suzue hub,
DT spokes, Alex DX32 rim) with standard frame, KH seat, rail adapator,
alu rail post, pedals, etc adds up to close to the same price (about
$100 CAD less).

Is the increased Q factor of the KH hub (vs. a Suzue hub) going to be
noticeable?

Any opinions?

--
KnowFear

Chris... who DOES have a WMD (Wheel of Mass Dismounts).
KnowFear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4483

Old August 28th 05, 08:28 AM
john_childs

Sounds brilliant. It'll be a great uni for that.

The increased Q-factor won't be an issue for regular riding around. The
Q-factor is mostly a performance issue if you're doing sprint races at a
track. The hard acceleration and super fast cadence would cause more
wheel wobble more with a wider Q-factor. For regular riding around it's
mostly a non-issue.

The increase may be noticeable for you. For one your legs will be
slightly wider which means your legs won't squeeze or rub the saddle as
much. And other minor ergonomic things that may feel different.
Nothing significant and you may find you like the wider Q-factor better.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)