This unicycle climbed Mt Washington

Old August 22nd 05, 12:27 AM
aspenmike

Default This unicycle climbed Mt Washington

Thanks for getting this on the forum Ben. You were awesome dude! My
computer time until I get back to Co. is limited, so this will be quick.
I am on the New England Uni Tour; road 35 miles in the Mt. Washington
valley today (Crawford Notch State Park w/only 13% grades) with 2200'
climbing after yesterdays EPIC Mt. Washington Hillclimb. Tomorrow I do
Ascutney and Ludlow (Okemo) with 60 miles of riding and 7000' of
climbing. The Mtns. here are the steepest I have ever ridden, TOTALLY
SICK!!!!!!!!! Here are yesterdays times:
Ben and I both broke the old World Record on Mt. Washington!

Joe 3:00 hours/mins
Ben 2:02 hours/mins
Mike 1:45 hours/mins New World Record

Fastest Male Bicyclist Tyler Hamilton :51 mins

Congrats to Joe and Ben, you guys are heroes in my book!
I need to eat and sleep now, talk with you all in a few days.
Cheers.

--
aspenmike - unicycling albino
aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

Old August 22nd 05, 12:34 AM
vivalargo

You guys are animals. Once you dig that deeply, Ben, the rest is a
cruise.

See you in Oct.

JL

--
vivalargo - Santa Barbara Unicycle Club
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

Old August 22nd 05, 01:10 AM
steveyo

There's a photo page for the race w/a bazillion photots.

I went through and gleaned out some uni photos, if you click on:
http://tinyurl.com/dmu27
and then pick "Favorites" you can see two of our intrepid heroes.

--
steveyo - Last will be first

steveyo

"I complained I need new shoes, until I met a man with no feet." -
unknown

"Do whatever steps you want if
you have cleared them with the pontiff"- Tom Lehrer

Old August 22nd 05, 02:25 PM

1:45 is pretty awesome, even on a b*ke!

A few months ago, I was contemplating doing
Mt Washington on a b*ke (which I may try next
year), and my calculations showed that I would
have trouble breaking 2:00, and would require
a 22-24" gear. At that point I briefly considered
using my 24" unicycle, but I can't uni for more
than 1:00 without destroying my male parts.

I understand that the times for _running_ are
nearly the same as those for b*king, as the addl
20# for the bike doesn't pay back in efficiency.

Once again, congratulations to Mike, Ben & Joe.

Old August 22nd 05, 03:26 PM
teachndad

Ben,

Your tale of perseverance is truly remarkable.

I found your experience inspirational.

Think about all the stories the other riders and observers will go home
and tell their friends.

NICE JOB!

--
teachndad - ONE for the...Off Road

Rod Wylie

'MountainUnicyclingLA.com' (http://www.mountainunicyclingla.com)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Greate...Angeles-Trails)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
(http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)
'UnicycleRoundupLA.com/' (http://unicycleroundupla.com/)
teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

Old August 23rd 05, 05:31 AM
GizmoDuck

Well done guys- sounds like a really awesome climb! Were you all riding
on 29's? Anyone Coker it?

--
GizmoDuck - NZUNI

o-kO
'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/) -
check out my spanky new and improved website
'Laos Unicycle Tour' (http://www.laosunitour.org)

Old August 23rd 05, 07:06 AM
happy_4_u

sounds tiring

--
happy_4_u - I'm smooth.

Am I right?
happy_4_u's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10619

Old August 23rd 05, 06:38 PM
S_Wallis

Ben,

I have been out of touch for a few days but wanted to be sure and
congratulate all of you on the big climb. I can imagine attempting most
things, but I don't know that I could ever do a long grueling
hillclimb.
Good job all of you.

And as for your thread title, even as nice as that new uni is I am sure
it couldn't have done it without you.

Scott

--
S_Wallis - Unsafe at any speed

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
how to do it." Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

Old August 23rd 05, 08:25 PM
nathan

Way to go all of you. Very nice writeup Ben. Sounds like a truly
fantastic race - I'd love to do it next year.

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251