This unicycle climbed Mt Washington

Old August 23rd 05, 09:57 PM
entropy

Default This unicycle climbed Mt Washington

S_Wallis wrote:
*
as for your thread title *

If you drive up the Mount Washington auto road (allowed during the
summer), they give you a bumper sticker that reads "This car climbed
Mount Washington." You tend to see the stickers on cars scattered
around the Northeast.

That's how it was in the early 90s, anyway.

--
entropy - life in balance
entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816

Old August 23rd 05, 10:04 PM
S_Wallis

entropy wrote:
*If you drive up the Mount Washington auto road (allowed during the
summer), they give you a bumper sticker that reads "This car climbed
Mount Washington." You tend to see the stickers on cars scattered
around the Northeast.

That's how it was in the early 90s, anyway. *

Okay, that makes more sense. I would prefer a t-shirt that says "This
unicycl*ist* climbed Mount Washington".

--
S_Wallis - Unsafe at any speed

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
how to do it." Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

Old August 24th 05, 05:10 AM
evil-nick

They still have those damn stickers on cars all over... I've never been
up Mt Washington (Despite being born & raised in NH) unless you count
Tuckerman Ravine (skis/snowboard only... no uni (yet)).

How about shorts that say "This a$$ has been up Mt Washington"

--
evil-nick - Unicyclist, Linux Geek, & swell guy

Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total
obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and
through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see
its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will
remain.

* Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

I'm late for checkers with the Dalai Lama!

My gallery:
http://evil.linuxfreak.ca/uni.html
Our Club:
http://cs.ubishops.ca/~buuc/
evil-nick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6692

Old August 24th 05, 07:16 PM
brian.slater

S_Wallis wrote:
*I would prefer a t-shirt that says "This unicyclist* climbed Mount
Washington".

I have a T-shirt that says “This BODY climbed Mount Washington.” I
don't need no stinkin` car for that!

--
brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

Old August 27th 05, 05:57 PM
U-Turn

Congratulations to all three unicyclists for completing a tough course!
I got a ride up to the top to take photos, and I was immediately amazed
at the difficulty of this climb. You can see the photos in 'this
gallery album' (http://tinyurl.com/bkazv).

I set off from Connecticut kinda late Friday with a last-minute
decision. I threw some camping stuff in the back of the truck and took
off. As I drove further north I started getting that old, familiar
itch that comes when I'm starting a new adventure that will carry me far
from civilization. I had come up to this very same area several years
ago to participate in an Appalachian Mountain Club class in Winter
Mountaineering, where we spent a week up in these mountains learning
various skills at below-zero temps. I'm sure Joe, Ben, and Mike had
similar feelings of anticipation as they arrived from different parts of
the country.

All the campgrounds were full, but a little pitiful-face and an
accommodating sheriff set me up in a State Park Campground parking lot,
and I was soon listening to owls and waking up every couple of hours in
the back of the truck, worried that I would not get up in time.

Finally I could justify getting up and headed for the base of the
mountain. Nothing was open except a bakery shop, where I managed to
snag a cinnamon roll and a cup of coffee.

A micro traffic jam at 5 AM in the middle of the White Mountains told me
I was in the right place. Soon I was pacing lines of cars with bicycles
and bicyclists preparing for the race. Finally I spotted Mike Tierney,
and met his relatives from New Jersey. This was the first time I had
met any of them, and it was a real pleasure.

I snagged a ride up the mountain with them, and it immediately hit me
that this was one steep road. The car didn't take long to develop that
hot burning smell as we drove up in first gear. Watching the road, I
saw mazes of frost heaves, ripples, and irregular patches in the road
surface. We wound back and forth through the trees, then went on to a
dirtish surface as we cleared tree line. The race staff directed us to
a bumpy landing on the side of the road. We emerged to a very light
rain, strong wind, and cool temperatures, and I was glad to have brought
long pants, a fleece jacket and my winter shell. In general, though,
the weather was fantastic.

We climbed up the road to the visitor's center, as it would be at least
an hour and a half before any racer would arrive. I soon got itchy,
though, to be outside, and went wandering about. I eventually roosted
on the steepest part of the route, which was a lumpy, irregular s-curve
with a good view of the road below. I played with the camera, clearing
some old photos, and trying not to curse myself for not keeping my cards
clear. I was grateful to be there, though, freezing my buns off,
instead of home in front of the computer.

Soon the weather shifted as clouds started streaming over the mountain
top, though, and my great s-curve view shrank to about 20-30 feet of
grey haze. Everything became coated with water. My nylon pants soon
soaked through, and I started developing deal-with-the-moisture
strategies with the camera.

Finally, I heard cheers and soon the first bicyclist appeared, Tyler
Hamilton. I snapped a photo for practice and completeness, and started
to get a feel for what this would entail. It was amazing to see the raw
strength and smoothness in his legs as he remained seated on the
steepest part of the course. It took a good four minutes for the next
cyclist to appear.

A few cyclists later, I took a video to practice getting the camera
turned on in time. With visibility of only about 30 feet, getting the
camera out of my jacket, turned on, and set to the proper settings
before the cyclist passed me was a real challenge.

The next 50 minutes or so was spent trying to force my vision into the
vague grayness with several false alarms. It took a while to register
Mike, rapidly striding up the hill, pushing his uni as fast as the
streaming bicyclists, and I was barely able to catch him as he went by.
He was able to ride most of the course, although I don't know the exact
percentage, and finished about the middle of the entire pack.

A few minutes Ben appeared, and I was now a little better alerted for
what to see out of the mist, and was able to get the camera going a
little faster. I was amazed to see him ride by, and took off running
after him to the finish line. Then I quickly returned to my position to
look for Joe. I wasn't sure if he was even in the race, since I hadn't
seen him at the bottom. After about 45 min more, I was too cold to
function and went inside to find Ben and his family in the visitor's
center. We all warmed up and dried off and had $3 bowls of chili. Joe
soon arrived and we compared stories.

Things pack up quickly on Mt. Washington and I was lucky to bum a ride
down the mountain, as Ben's car was stuffed with the previously-arranged
addition of Joe. I hung out at the lunch and awards ceremony, and then
had a great chat with Mike. It was a good opportunity to talk with him,
since he had flown in from Colorado.

The results people had to quickly add a unicycle category, although, of
course, the three had been signed up for a few months. Unfortunately,
the latest results posting didn't correct the name errors that cropped
up during the awards ceremony (see 'these pages'
(http://tinyurl.com/9rvqt)). Hopefully, they will be fixed soon!

All the bicyclists were extremely impressed and supportive. I don't use
that superlative lightly. Some of them that were passed by Mike during
the race came up to him and told him about being passed and how shocked
they were. The bicyclists were simply amazed at the skill and fitness
the unicyclists displayed, and were not afraid to show it.

Afterwards, Mike told us about training for this race with a 40 pound
pack on his back. Something to think about!

I wound my way back south, and stopped in the mountain tourist areas for
a bite to eat and a rare Bass Pale Ale. Eventually I arrived home at
about midnight. No owls here, when can I go back?

--
U-Turn - Cool water for the flame

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

Old August 27th 05, 06:10 PM
steveyo

I emailed two difefrent race coordinators for the race, giving them the
correct lists and times of the winners, and even a copy of a race photo
of a guy who was listed as one of the unis. The attached photo clearly
shows him to NOT be a unicyclist.

| Attachment filename: biker695.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/352939|

steveyo - Last will be first

steveyo

"I complained I need new shoes, until I met a man with no feet." -
unknown

"Do whatever steps you want if
you have cleared them with the pontiff"- Tom Lehrer

Old August 28th 05, 01:19 AM
aspenmike

Dave, thanks for the nice story. It was a great honor to meet you and to
be able to spend time with you after the race. I am home now from my New
England Uni Tour, and starting to adjust to not being on the unicycle
everyday for long periods. Thanks for the gallery as well, as I do not
have a copy of the podium. Mt. Washington is one of a kind!

| Attachment filename: mike mt washington.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/353046|

aspenmike - unicycling albino
aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

Old August 28th 05, 01:34 AM
steveyo

Hey AspenMike!
I still don't think you said what setup you were using. Please tell us
!

Hey Joe Merrill!
You, too. What kind of uni did you ride up MW?? Your's looked like a
24 ?

Old August 28th 05, 01:53 AM
aspenmike

steveyo wrote:
[b]Hey AspenMike!
I still don't think you said what setup you were using. Please tell
us !

Ben and I rode identical unicycles up, 29ers, same tires, same pedals.
I have a GB4 frame w/air seat and reeder handle.

I hope to post my write up this week, althoughs Bens was right on.
Steveyo, you did Ascutney right? What about Okemo?

Old August 28th 05, 02:02 AM
steveyo

aspenmike wrote:
*Steveyo, you did Ascutney right? What about Okemo? *

No. Whiteface (www.whitefacerace.com) and Equinox
(www.gearupforlyme.com).

How were Ascutney and Okemo?