Helmets Here We Go Again. "A Bump to the Head Nearly Killed Our Son"

Old December 27th 05, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Helmets Here We Go Again. "A Bump to the Head Nearly Killed Our Son"

The Daily Mail today has a "health" story on page 41. A full page on
how an 8 year old boy was riding a bicycle without a helmet. He hit a
pothole and fell off suffering a head injury requiring surgery.

"Together with the Bicycle Helmet Inititive Trust a registered
charity which encourages the wearing of helmets and safe cycling, Harry
is starting a petition to support the amendment of a Road Safety Bill
going through parliment.
The bill would make it a legal requirement for cyclists aged under
14 to wear a helmet.
Next month the Parents For Helmets Website will be
launched"

I find it very distasteful for BEHIT and the Daily Mail to campaign for
compulsion based on 1 incident whether or not a helmet would have
helped in that particular incident.
According to the article the fall was caused by hitting a pothole
so a campaign for better roads maintainance would be as justifiable.

Iain

Old December 27th 05, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wrote:
[...]

All the more ironic given their other article in today's issue:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...id=17 74&ct=5

Popular toys 'make children fat'
14:24pm 27th December 2005

Unhealthy Christmas presents make children fat, a report on child
obesity said today.

This Christmas's most popular toys do not encourage enough healthy play
and exercise, compared to the favourite toys of the 1970s, a study by
the North East Wales Institute of Higher Education (Newi) says.

Children would be fitter if they played with cult toys such as
Spacehoppers and Chopper bicycles, instead of computer games and dolls,
it says. ........more

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old December 27th 05, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wrote in message
oups.com...
The Daily Mail today has a "health" story on page 41. A full page on
how an 8 year old boy was riding a bicycle without a helmet. He hit a
pothole and fell off suffering a head injury requiring surgery.

In the early hours of last Friday my next door neighbour, a middle aged man
like myself, fell down his stairs. He spent 3 days in hospital with a
dislocated elbow that may require surgery, severe bruising to his abdomen,
neck problems and 50 stitches to a head wound. He looks like he's been hit
by a truck.
I think a law should be passed that requires full body armour and h*lmets to
be worn at all times.
--
Pete

Old December 27th 05, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Peter B wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
The Daily Mail today has a "health" story on page 41. A full page on
how an 8 year old boy was riding a bicycle without a helmet. He hit
a pothole and fell off suffering a head injury requiring surgery.

In the early hours of last Friday my next door neighbour, a middle
aged man like myself, fell down his stairs. He spent 3 days in
hospital with a dislocated elbow that may require surgery, severe
bruising to his abdomen, neck problems and 50 stitches to a head
wound. He looks like he's been hit by a truck.
I think a law should be passed that requires full body armour and
h*lmets to be worn at all times.

And at a more tragic level, there was a report of a woman falling from a
loft ladder when fetching stuff for Christmas from the loft. She died.

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old December 27th 05, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wrote:

I find it very distasteful for BEHIT and the Daily Mail to campaign for
compulsion based on 1 incident whether or not a helmet would have
helped in that particular incident.

BeHIT have always delighted in shroud-waving - it's how they got
started, after all.

--
Guy

Old December 28th 05, 12:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Apologies to all for quoting wrong tabloid. What's that saying about
not letting facts get in the way of a story?
Iain

Old December 28th 05, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
Peter B wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
The Daily Mail today has a "health" story on page 41. A full page on
how an 8 year old boy was riding a bicycle without a helmet. He hit
a pothole and fell off suffering a head injury requiring surgery.

In the early hours of last Friday my next door neighbour, a middle
aged man like myself, fell down his stairs. He spent 3 days in
hospital with a dislocated elbow that may require surgery, severe
bruising to his abdomen, neck problems and 50 stitches to a head
wound. He looks like he's been hit by a truck.
I think a law should be passed that requires full body armour and
h*lmets to be worn at all times.

And at a more tragic level, there was a report of a woman falling from a
loft ladder when fetching stuff for Christmas from the loft. She died.

Even more dangerous is getting out of the bath. Baths should be banned
except for those who have undergone approrpiate safety training and
are wearing the proper safety equipment.

--
Chris Malcolm +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
[

Old December 28th 05, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Chris Malcolm wrote:

Even more dangerous is getting out of the bath. Baths should be banned
except for those who have undergone approrpiate safety training and
are wearing the proper safety equipment.

As should beds - more people die there than anywhere else and usually
within 24hrs of having consumed water, a truly dangerous substance ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old December 28th 05, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Chris Malcolm wrote:

Even more dangerous is getting out of the bath. Baths should be banned
except for those who have undergone approrpiate safety training and
are wearing the proper safety equipment.

Doesn't seem to do the Japanese much harm. I'm off to an onsen for a few
days over the New Year - wish me luck!

James
--
James Annan