Possible to get a low spot out of a TUBULAR tire?

Old September 11th 19, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Possible to get a low spot out of a TUBULAR tire?

On 9/11/2019 4:46 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, 4 September 2019 17:16:39 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/4/2019 2:21 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, September 2, 2019 at 5:58:59 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/2/2019 7:50 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I just bought a used bicycle that has tubular tires on it. pparently it has sat for awhile as the rear tire has a low flat spot. NOTE this low spot is DEFIINTELY ON THE TIRE not on the rim which is true. Is there any way to get rid of this low spot on the tire caused by it sitting for some time? I've ridden the tire about 30 kilometers but there's been no change in t hat low flat spot.

Oh,it's definitely a low spot on the tire from sitting and not from improper mounting. The base of the tire is fine.

Cheers

Might reform itself if you leave it fully inflated but then
again it might not.
More hopeful with a nylon casing (Panaracer) less likely in
natural cotton (almost everybody else).

Road tubulars are so cheap now I don't cry over them.

How does a tubular develop a flat spot? The only time I had flat spots was when I did a poor repair. I would get hops with a poorly glued tire, particularly at the stem.

-- Jay Beattie.

Two different things.
Sir's lump is likely from sitting flat for many years.
Think slacks with 'Permanent Press' creases. Like that.

Drawing your thread with uneven tension is likely what you
experienced. I have lumpy scars like that from home sewing
(although I also have some really nice straight scars when I
paid better attention)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

I replaced that tire after having a good look at it. If I ever by tubular wheels with a tire installed I'll remove the tire to check how it was glued. Obviously this tire wasn't glued on properly which is probable a big contributor to the flat spot and bump on the tire. What wasn't obvious is that the base tape was completely separated from the tire. All that was holding this tire on the rim was the air pressure in it.

Moral of the story? Inspect all tires carefully before riding them if buying them used on a bike.

Here's an image of the tire before removing it from the rim.

https://flic.kr/p/2he7TPa

I'm cutting it in half before throwing it out. I don't want someone else trying to use it.

Cheers

In my experience used tub wheels are priced to include used
mounted tires at no value whatsoever.

Old September 12th 19, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, 11 September 2019 18:01:26 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Both of the tries on that bike must have been ancient and glue on in ancient times. The front tire looked to be in perfect shape and I was going to keep it as a spare after putting the new tire on the front rim too. However when taking off the front tire it to shed some of it's base tape although fortunately not all or even most of it. The tape came of the tire but is still attached to the rest of the base tape that's still on the tire. What would be a good glue to glue that base tape back onto the tire. I take it that contact cement isn't the recommended stuff to use.

Cheers
Old September 12th 19, 01:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/11/2019 9:53 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Latex emulsion and coat the sidewalls too. They are likely
dried and would benefit from a latex coat.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/tubfix.html

Use latex emulsion liberally it soaks into the fabric.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Riding on flat tubular tire? Sir Ridesalot Techniques 12 June 8th 15 02:57 AM
Repair tubular tire with a syringe & tire sealant? Sir Ridesalot Techniques 12 November 6th 11 01:40 AM
road tire flat spot Bill Techniques 11 February 2nd 10 09:49 PM
Repairing tubular tire Mike Kennedy Techniques 19 October 27th 04 02:00 PM
What's the best tubular racing tire? Cheep Bikes Marketplace 2 April 21st 04 08:22 PM