Does anything dissolve paint thinner

Old September 2nd 19, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike A Schwab

Default Does anything dissolve paint thinner

On Monday, September 2, 2019 at 1:51:20 PM UTC-5, AK wrote:
I use paint thinner and an old tooth brush to clean my bike chain.

Is there anything I can spray on the chain to dissolve the thinner or do I have to manually rub it off with a rag?

I am open to recommendations to anyone who actually uses one of those chain cleaners.

Thanks,
Andy

Odorless Mineral Spirits have the least impurities. So use it instead. https://www.bobvila.com/articles/min...paint-thinner/
Old September 3rd 19, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/2/2019 1:51 PM, AK wrote:
I use paint thinner and an old tooth brush to clean my bike chain.

Is there anything I can spray on the chain to dissolve the thinner or do I have to manually rub it off with a rag?

I am open to recommendations to anyone who actually uses one of those chain cleaners.

Thanks,
Andy

Automotive acrylic lacquer thinner is highly volatile and
evaporates leaving no residue. If you have gunk remaining
you haven't diluted the oil/gunk enough.

Lacquer thinner is also highly flammable so bear that in
mind regarding ventilation, ignition sources and disposal of
wipers.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 3rd 19, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/2/2019 4:05 PM, AK wrote:
On Monday, September 2, 2019 at 2:38:12 PM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 11:51:18 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

I use paint thinner and an old tooth brush to clean my bike chain.
Is there anything I can spray on the chain to dissolve the thinner
or do I have to manually rub it off with a rag?

I am open to recommendations to anyone who actually uses one of
those chain cleaners.

Paint thinner is a solvent (mineral spirits) and is rather slow
to evaporate.

Solvent Evaporation Rate Strength
(Minutes) (KB Value)
Denatured 91% Alcohol 3 Limited Solvency
VM & P Naphtha 4 38
Lacquer Thinner 2 100
Paint Thinner
or Mineral Spirits 60 35
Toluene 3.5 105
Xylene 12 98
Acetone 1 Infinite
MEK 2 Infinite
Turpentine 40 55
Kerosene 325 30

Some of the above are banned in the People's Republic of California by
the VoC Ban. If you want a fast clean, with low residue, methinks
acetone would be the best bet. Mixing it with paint thinner isn't
going to do anything useful. When the acetone evaporates, what's left
is the paint thinner, which will then slowly evaporate.

You might also want to try lacquer thinner. However, the modern stuff
is a mix of other solvents, which can vary:
https://ecolink.com/info/differences-between-lacquer-thinner-11-lacquer-thinner-48-and-lacquer-thinner-51/

Both acetone and lacquer thinner will attack plastics, rubber, and
some paints. If the area where you're working has any of these, don't
use these solvents. 91% IPA alcohol is evaporates quickly and is
probably good enough.

While you're at it:
1. Use gloves
2. Read the safety warnings
3. Use a respirator or do your cleaning outdoors.
4. Think about buying a parts washer:
https://www.harborfreight.com/20-gal-parts-washer-with-pump-60769.html
https://blastercorp.com/product/parts-washer-solvent/

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

You must never have used IPA on grease.

It does not dissolve grease, it requires an organic solvent.

Andy

Did you know that Jeff wrote about Iso Propyl Alcohol? = IPA

Old September 3rd 19, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

jbeattie wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I used an IPA on Friday to patch 30 (count 'em) tubes from my heap of
un-patched tubes. Open bottle, pour in glass, drink and patch tubes. It
also helps to watch an action movie.

-- Jay Beattie.

I know that tastes vary, but I would rather clean my chain with IPA than
drink the stuff.

Old September 3rd 19, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

This evening, I'm enjoying some ethanol with juniper berries
mixed with a fizzy quinine solution and a twist of lime.
Last summer evening and it's just beautiful.

And the quinine protects against yellow fever and such.

My preference of brands is Bombay Saphire. Though this is a bourbon night
for me. Vacation over and back to work tomorrow.

To remain on topic, either works while I’m running my chain through a
degreaser.

--
duane
Old September 3rd 19, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 17:08:43 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

On Monday, September 2, 2019 at 4:48:44 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
Did you know that Jeff wrote about Iso Propyl Alcohol? = IPA

Clarification: I didn't mean India Pale Ale:
http://allaboutbeer.com/beer_style/india-pale-ale/
However, the mistake is forgivable. I don't drink booze and had no
idea what IPA beer was until I looked it up.

I used an IPA on Friday to patch 30 (count 'em) tubes from my heap
of un-patched tubes. Open bottle, pour in glass, drink and patch tubes.
It also helps to watch an action movie.
-- Jay Beattie.

It's not strong enough to be used for inner tube surface preparation,
so I'll assume that you drank it.

30 tubes? If that's a years supply, that would be one blowout every
12 days. Assuming your roads aren't covered with broken glass, goat
heads, or roofing nails, I would suspect that you purchased your inner
tubes from the same vendor that supplied me with my collection of
perforated inner tubes.

Old September 3rd 19, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Monday, September 2, 2019 at 4:49:25 PM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Actually, I have. It works well at dissolving hydrocarbon based
non-polar greases. It's also good for removing silicon grease from
CPU's and heat sinks. Not so good as a pre-wash for removing grease
stains.

It does not dissolve grease, it requires an organic solvent.
Andy

Alcohol is an organic solvent because it contains carbon linked to
hydrogen, oxygen, or nitrogen (except for carbonates, cyanides,
carbides, etc).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol
...it is used widely as a solvent and as a cleaning
fluid, especially for dissolving oils

isopropyl alcohol vs degreaser
https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/isopropyl-alcohol-vs-degreaser/
IPA is a solvent, it dissolves grease (and water, and anything
else) into itself, so you can wipe it away.

Degreaser is a surfactant, so it allows the grease/oil
to form microscopic globules in the water, which you then
wash or wipe away. It’s essentially concentrated soap.

Both will do the same job, but degreaser works better at
stripping large amounts of gunk off drivechains as the
degreaser and oil form an emulsion, which you can then wash
away. If you put IPA in a chain cleaner you’d just be diluting
the oil and it still wouldn’t wash off. IPA works best for
removing small amounts of gunk, or where you don’t want to
leave a trace of soap/water afterwards for example cleaning
calipers and levers after bleeding brakes, or sloshing around
in suspension forks to remove the last traces of the old oil
and any dirt.

By the way, you're welcome.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

isopropyl alcohol vs degreaser
https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/isopropyl-alcohol-vs-degreaser/
IPA is a solvent, it dissolves grease (and water, and anything
else) into itself, so you can wipe it away.

I am a retired chemist with over 35 years of experience.

And I had to dissolve many substances in order to run analyses and clean equipment.

You can say all you want, but IPA NEVER HAS and NEVER WILL dissolve oils and greases.

Andy

Old September 3rd 19, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Monday, September 2, 2019 at 6:52:32 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/2/2019 1:51 PM, AK wrote:
I use paint thinner and an old tooth brush to clean my bike chain.

Is there anything I can spray on the chain to dissolve the thinner or do I have to manually rub it off with a rag?

I am open to recommendations to anyone who actually uses one of those chain cleaners.

Thanks,
Andy

p.s.
Any particular reason you don't use auto disc brake cleaner?
It's cheap and available everywhere which is why it's a
popular cleaning agent. Ours is a mix of alcohol and acetone
but I'm sure other similar versions exist.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I found a more environmentally clean option.

Homemade water based cleaner recipe that worked well in a sprayer bottle.

8 oz. water
1 Tbsp Vinegar
1 Tbsp Baking Soda
1 Tsp Dish Soap
Old September 3rd 19, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

They had been accumulating for quite a while and are from a herd of bikes. With that said, flats happen a lot during the winter. Only one snake bite, and everything else was a single hole. Four of those tubes didn't stay inflated after patching and have other tiny holes that need attention. Tube brands are all over the board -- a lot of Conti, some Kenda, Specialized and a bunch of no-names from Nashbar or Performance. Also a mix of thick and thin. Many are old and have other patches.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 3rd 19, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

On 9/2/2019 1:51 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

Leave out the vinegar and baking side and I bet it will work just as well,
just not put on as much of a show.