Ketone Esters

Old September 6th 19, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Default Ketone Esters

news18 wrote:
On Thu, 05 Sep 2019 00:06:25 +0000, Ralph Barone wrote:

James wrote:
On 5/9/19 7:20 am, AMuzi wrote:

I don't know.
I'm happy that you are happy. If this works for you, by all means do
it more.

Your post reminded me of Chalo's all time pithy RBT comment about
cycling-specific energy bars and drinks, "I just eat actual food."
Works for me too.

I ate a meat pie mid ride once. The day was cold. The pie was hot.
Seemed like a good idea at the time. It wasn't though. I was
regurgitating meat all the way home.

Some actual food is counter productive.

During one long ride where I was starting to bonk, the combination of a
Cornish pastie and a half litre of chocolate milk was damn near
miraculous,
so maybe there’s an optimum amount of meat.

IMU, it is the chocolate milk that gave you the boost.

Oh yeah. Definitely the chocolate milk. But the Cornish pastie tasted great
and I didn’t hurl afterwards, so it was also appreciated.

Old September 6th 19, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Thursday, September 5, 2019 at 7:55:30 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 5/9/19 6:46 pm, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 00:06:25 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

James wrote:
On 5/9/19 7:20 am, AMuzi wrote:

I don't know.
I'm happy that you are happy. If this works for you, by all means do it
more.

Your post reminded me of Chalo's all time pithy RBT comment about
cycling-specific energy bars and drinks, "I just eat actual food." Works
for me too.

I ate a meat pie mid ride once. The day was cold. The pie was hot.
Seemed like a good idea at the time. It wasn't though. I was
regurgitating meat all the way home.

Some actual food is counter productive.

During one long ride where I was starting to bonk, the combination of a
Cornish pastie and a half litre of chocolate milk was damn near miraculous,
so maybe there’s an optimum amount of meat.

Actually the body digests protein relatively slowly so perhaps the
beef wasn't what made the difference. The gravy and pastry might well
have been the real energy producers :-)

I read somewhere that milk is quite good to rehydrate with. The fat and
solids somehow slow down the processing and the body can absorb the
water well and retain it rather than it passing through as if you drink
straight water. Of course it would be bad if you have some milk
intolerance.

--
JS

I took those Ketone Esters on Tuesday and I'm still ****ing like a racehorse every half hour. It was almost all I could do to make it back the two hour ride yesterday with the 25 miles. I did pass a public toilet and should have used that. Two cups of coffee in and three out.
Old September 6th 19, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

James wrote:
On 5/9/19 7:20 am, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

I'm lactose intolerant.
Old September 6th 19, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Frank Krygowski writes:

On 9/4/2019 9:00 PM, jbeattie wrote:
The opportunistic food of choice around here is
blackberries. https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8388/2...24b3da59_z.jpg

I've enjoyed plenty of blackberries mid-ride. But my favorite are
mulberries. I'm not sure, but I think the local Italian immigrants
were fond of mulberries when they settled here. The trees seem more
common in the neighborhoods that were once Italian.

I don't know about Ohio, but at least the red mulberries are apparently
native to Massachusetts -- I just read an article describing Massasoit
as wearing mulberry dyed clothing. White mulberries were the choice for
raising silkworms, which used to be a common cottage industry.

The good part is they're pretty easy to spot, because the pavement is
filled with black spots from fallen fruit when they're in season.

The bad parts are 1) It's impossible to avoid crushing the fallen
fruit, so one's cycling shoes get messy soles; and 2) the season is
very short.

Good: Not as thorny as blackberries.

Bad: You can't fall out of blackberry brambles. Also, stains hands and
clothing.
Old September 10th 19, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 5:20:07 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/4/2019 3:40 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
A couple of weeks ago we were talking about Ketone Esters. This is sort of a predigested results of dietary fat.

I had breakfast and because I was heading out on a difficult ride I drank a bottle of that stuff cut 50/50 with tap water.

It has a taste reminiscent of fingernail polish. And that taste sticks with you.

It didn't seem to do anything. I really dragged my butt up the 1,000 foot climb with 9-12% sections but I made it.

It costs a small fortune so it hardly seems to be worth even talking about.

Yesterday I had forgotten to go to the store and had nothing for breakfast before another hard ride so on an empty stomach I drank that stuff again. This time before I left I brushed my teeth and used Listerine mouthwash. That reduced the taste to merely unpleasant.

I rode out to the target 19 miles and 1600 feet of climbing away and I didn't bonk which I would have expected to do what with no breakfast. At the coffee shop I had a roll and a coffee and came back. At the end of the ride I was not exceptionally tired and had a rather fast recovery.

So perhaps this stuff is worth you giving a try if you're a sports rider. It did appear to work far better on an empty stomach than after having eaten. And brushing the teeth and using mouthwash DEFINITELY was the way to go.

I don't know.
I'm happy that you are happy. If this works for you, by all
means do it more.

Your post reminded me of Chalo's all time pithy RBT comment
about cycling-specific energy bars and drinks, "I just eat
actual food." Works for me too.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

A snickers bar and a cup of coffee will get you through just about anything - on or off the bike.
Old September 10th 19, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

jbeattie writes:

On Thursday, September 5, 2019 at 5:49:55 PM UTC-7, Radey Shouman wrote:
Tom Kunich writes:

On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 6:13:41 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/4/2019 7:25 PM, Radey Shouman wrote:
AMuzi writes:

On 9/4/2019 4:42 PM, James wrote:
On 5/9/19 7:20 am, AMuzi wrote:

I don't know.
I'm happy that you are happy. If this works for you, by
all means do it more.

Your post reminded me of Chalo's all time pithy RBT
comment about cycling-specific energy bars and drinks, "I
just eat actual food." Works for me too.

I ate a meat pie mid ride once. The day was cold. The pie
was hot. Seemed like a good idea at the time. It wasn't
though. I was regurgitating meat all the way home.

Some actual food is counter productive.

It's a good story though!

At 85 miles into a sunny but windy 40F late September century, my
friend and I were just out of everything and stopped to eat some field
corn (dairy cow maize, not sweet corn). The effect was miraculous and
within minutes we were back riding.

Raw? No sorghum or onions available? Did you eat the stalk and leaves,
silage-style?

I have sampled roadside apples and concord grapes, both quite
uncultivated, and rode away refreshed.

Just the hard school-bus-yellow raw kernels.

I have also pilfered an apple occasionally[1] but more from
curiosity (always pleasantly surprised!) than desperation.

[1]A Milwaukee Journal photographer snapped me riding no
hands in mid-bite near an orchard and it was printed. Ouch.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Most of the apple orchards that used to be around here are gone now
but you will occasionally trip across one in the forest. Some of these
are long forgotten species and they are often looked for by companies
that make hard cider since these old forgotten species are what the
original hard cider was made from.

In a month or so I'll go to my favorite u-pick orchard, to pick some
winesaps and some russet apples. I can't get them anywhere else. I
planted two winesaps in my backyard, but have harvested no apples yet.

We're fond of Fujis, Galas and one other that I can't remember but was
introduced last year. Typical PNW apples, although Red Delicious --
the great bland apple -- is probably king of the PNW apples. Hood

Fujis and Galas are wasted on me -- no taste to speak of. They're
better than Honeycrisps, though. Red Delicious are not good, but
they're edible in a pinch, Golden Delicious can actually be tasty. At
the supermarket I buy Empire apples, grown in New York state. Fall,
Winter and Spring I'll go through a bag and a half a week.

River Valley is spectacular at apple and pear blossom
time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST6y_4x5WJg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OhqFcSJFJk I rode out there a few
weeks ago. No blooms, but lots of wind
surfers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=wwMzTcHB5_0
You figure the wind wrong, and you're going to be seriously miserable
on riding on the Gorge. I slaughtered myself riding home in a head
wind last week -- I wanted to call an Uber once I hit civilization.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 10th 19, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 11:22:28 AM UTC-7, Radey Shouman wrote:

Fujis and Galas are wasted on me -- no taste to speak of. They're
better than Honeycrisps, though. Red Delicious are not good, but
they're edible in a pinch, Golden Delicious can actually be tasty. At
the supermarket I buy Empire apples, grown in New York state. Fall,
Winter and Spring I'll go through a bag and a half a week.

I don't believe that they get to any of the stores I get to.