Shifter button replacement?

Old September 1st 04, 02:52 PM
Dukester

Default Shifter button replacement?

While doing a "tune up" I broke off one of the plastic shifter buttons (old
Shimano style) for the rear derailer on my bike. Is there a way to fix this
without having to spend $100 for a set of new shifters? Can you not buy
smaller replacement parts & pieces as for cars? I doubt superglue would
work.

--
Cheers!
Duke

Old September 1st 04, 05:58 PM
maxo

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 08:52:46 -0500, Dukester wrote:

While doing a "tune up" I broke off one of the plastic shifter buttons
(old Shimano style) for the rear derailer on my bike. Is there a way to
fix this without having to spend $100 for a set of new shifters? Can you
not buy smaller replacement parts & pieces as for cars? I doubt superglue
would work.

"shifter button?"

Is this from a really old school shifter or a "brifter", a combined
shift/brakelever.

If it's a plain old shifter, then replacement is dirt cheap.

Old September 1st 04, 07:46 PM
Dukester

"maxo" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 08:52:46 -0500, Dukester wrote:

While doing a "tune up" I broke off one of the plastic shifter buttons
(old Shimano style) for the rear derailer on my bike. Is there a way to
fix this without having to spend $100 for a set of new shifters? Can

you
not buy smaller replacement parts & pieces as for cars? I doubt

superglue
would work.

"shifter button?"

Is this from a really old school shifter or a "brifter", a combined
shift/brakelever.

If it's a plain old shifter, then replacement is dirt cheap.

Plain old shifter. I checked the brand at lunch because I wasn't sure I
posted correctly. Suntour Express, the derailler is Shimano. Has two
shifter thumb levers (I call em buttons).

Where do you get dirt cheap replacements? All I could find was $50 or even
more and you had to buy a set.

--
Cheers!
Duke

Old September 1st 04, 08:00 PM
maxo

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 13:46:44 -0500, Dukester wrote:

Plain old shifter. I checked the brand at lunch because I wasn't sure I
posted correctly. Suntour Express, the derailler is Shimano. Has two
shifter thumb levers (I call em buttons).

Where do you get dirt cheap replacements? All I could find was $50 or
even more and you had to buy a set.

OK, you just need some old bar-top friction shifters of any brand. Ebay is
a fine place, if you want something vintage/snazzy...but I go to
bikepartsusa.com for most of my crusty old bike parts:

or these from Loose Screws:
http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...&id=1278233122
for 13 bucks

you will have to buy a set, buy hey--they'll at least match.