Broken Axle inside Hub

Old May 13th 15, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Broken Axle inside Hub

One of those days.

Yesterday my wife wanted to ride her "old bike" which I had gotten back
into rideable condition after her crash, or so I thought.

She complained that the gears were slipping. I then found out that she
has never been shifting the rear derailleur and has essentially been
riding a three speed by only using the front derailleur. So of course
the cog she'd been using for six years or so is now worn out. There were
teeth worn down so much that the chain was slipping.

I took off the wheel and when I pulled out the QR skewer so I could take
off the freewheel, the whole axle inside the hub came out in two pieces
spilling ball bearings everywhere. The axle inside the hub had broken
and I never knew it since when I trued the wheel I hadn't removed the
skewer which was holding the axle inside the hub in place.

I wanted to buy a used wheel at Good Karma but they really gouge on used
parts.
Old May 13th 15, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/12/2015 8:56 PM, sms wrote:
One of those days.

Yesterday my wife wanted to ride her "old bike" which I had gotten back
into rideable condition after her crash, or so I thought.

She complained that the gears were slipping. I then found out that she
has never been shifting the rear derailleur and has essentially been
riding a three speed by only using the front derailleur. So of course
the cog she'd been using for six years or so is now worn out.

A) Seems you two must ride together only very rarely. I usually notice
problems with my wife's bike even before she does.

B) Sounds like she's a good candidate for a three speed hub gear.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 13th 15, 02:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 5:56:35 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
[...]

Cheap and easy to replace the axle -- if you have a beater wheel sitting around or an old hub, you can scavenge parts. Is she riding the new mixte yet?

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 13th 15, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/13/2015 6:52 AM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

She rode the new Mixte yesterday. One problem. Coming down a hill into
Cupertino one of the front brake pads fell off. It wasn't loose so
probably the bolt pulled out of the rubber of the cheap-ass pad.
Replaced the front pads this morning and will do the rear as well.

Tomorrow is "Bike to Work Day" but we're expecting heavy rain so it
won't go well. This endless rain needs to stop. It's affecting my solar
power production.

Old May 13th 15, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

[...]

It's time for a new cheap wheel anyway. Daughter-unit can get one for me
at the campus bike co-op very inexpensively.

Old May 15th 15, 09:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel

Am 13.05.2015 um 16:19 schrieb sms:

Tomorrow is "Bike to Work Day" but we're expecting heavy rain so it
won't go well. This endless rain needs to stop. It's affecting my solar
power production.

Does that mean your Great California Drought is reaching its end?

Old May 15th 15, 04:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-05-13 7:26 AM, sms wrote:
[...]

A good quality axle is only around $20. Did that on my old MTB after I
busted two cheaper rear axles (the $10 kind) in a row.

BTW, what's the best way to buy a cheap road bike wheel anyhow? Amazon?
Pricepoint? I took the sprockets off my old Shimano 600 hub and found
that its internal bearings are becoming rough. Gave it a little bar oil
but that only helps to some extent. Old Uniglide, so for sprockets I now
have to hack a new HG-50 cassette apart (just bought it after a hint on
a German bike NG) and file down the wide splines. That should get me
another 5000 miles but then it'll be time, and the rims will be worn as
well from all the breaking on our hills.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old May 15th 15, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Rolf Mantel writes:

Am 13.05.2015 um 16:19 schrieb sms:

Tomorrow is "Bike to Work Day" but we're expecting heavy rain so it
won't go well. This endless rain needs to stop. It's affecting my solar
power production.

Does that mean your Great California Drought is reaching its end?

Hardly. The rain now is mainly useful for delaying the fire season
for a couple weeks.

--
Joe Riel
Old May 15th 15, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/15/2015 8:03 AM, Joerg wrote:

A good quality axle is only around $20. Did that on my old MTB after I
busted two cheaper rear axles (the $10 kind) in a row.

BTW, what's the best way to buy a cheap road bike wheel anyhow? Amazon?
Pricepoint?

Those are good. Some show up on eBay sometimes. If you have a child in a
college with a bicycle co-op they buy components at a good price.
Daughter unit got a new front wheel for her bicycle for $28. So I'm
hesitant to look for axles and then buy new bearings and re-assemble the
old wheel which may not last much longer anyway.
Old May 15th 15, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/15/2015 1:41 AM, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 13.05.2015 um 16:19 schrieb sms:

Tomorrow is "Bike to Work Day" but we're expecting heavy rain so it
won't go well. This endless rain needs to stop. It's affecting my solar
power production.

Does that mean your Great California Drought is reaching its end?

Yes.

There is no real water shortage in California. The problem is corporate
agriculture sucking up all the water for high-value cash crops.

http://www.sacbee.com/opinion/op-ed/soapbox/article17332904.html

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2015/01/california-drought-almonds-water-use

Symbolic conservation efforts like restaurants not serving water unless
it is requested, or banning new swimming pools, are not going have any
impact. Eliminating residential lawns will have a minor impact. Since
85% of water is used by agriculture, and a large percentage of that is
for crops that have no business being grown in dry areas, the only way
to solve this problem is to reduce water usage by corporate agriculture.
They're the ones putting up all the political signs along I-5, posing as
"family farms."