Dynamo/LED power conditioning

Old May 11th 18, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Dynamo/LED power conditioning

Jeff Liebermann writes:

This is easily fixed by a law

This is almost exactly never true.

Old May 11th 18, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Fri, 11 May 2018 07:29:55 -0500, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/11/2018 12:33 AM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 10 May 2018 23:06:28 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 5/10/2018 6:15 PM, John B. wrote:

I suspect that you, like I, are what might be called a sensible
rider. RE, door zones, just slow down a bit so you have time to
dodge the door if necessary.

Um... no, that's not sensible.

Consider what happens if you're riding just 15 kph and a driver pops
his door open as you pass his rear bumper. There's no way to stop in
time.

If you're lucky, you'll hit his door squarely and crumple beneath
it. If you're unlucky, you'll snag the door edge with your right
handlebar, the bike will steer to the right, your body will be
thrown down to the left, and the motor vehicle you were worried
about will run over you.

Unlike mountain lion attacks, dooring really is a danger. Most
states don't record it as a car-bike collision, because they record
those only if the car was moving. But Chicago did keep track, and
found that something like 20% of car-bike crashes were doorings.

Don't ride in the door zone. Just don't.

Funny, I can't remember ever having problem with "door zones" and
there was one area, actually a small bridge in a village I used to
pass through where cars congregated. There was a bank just at the
edge of the bridge which had ATM's there were always cars parked
there. I never gave it much thought but what I think I did was to
move out further into the road. I do remember having a couple of
people open their door just a crack and peer out at me and then close
the door and wait for me to pass.

One thing that is difficult in discussing traffic in different
countries is the different laws and customs. In Thailand, for
example, if you were to open the door of your car into someone's path
and they literally ripped your door off and punted it down the road
that would be your fault and you would be liable for both repairs to
your car, the "door ripper" and any damage the door did subsequent to
being ripped off.

But something that is happening in Bangkok at the moment might be of
interest in the U.S. Bangkok is literally covered with surveillance
cameras which are now being programmed to stop the rather reckless
lane changing one sees in Bangkok. As of yesterday, in one day, they
caught 750 vehicles making illegal lane changes and providing the
program gets the go ahead traffic tickets will be mailed to the
miscreants.

The news article emphasized that each lane change is a separate
offence so ten illegal lane changes equates to 10 tickets. Which, if
the news article was accurate would equate to about 10,000 baht in
fines. As a comparison, minimum wage here is 300 baht a day, at the
moment. 10,000/300 = ~33 days of minimum wages.

If the U.S. would install and program surveillance cameras to
recognize bicycles and to identify those who break the various laws
that control them it might put a large dent in the numbers of bicycle
accidents.

Be careful what you wish:
https://futurism.com/facial-recognit...social-credit/

This will not end with lane changes and jaywalking.

Nope.

And don't buy a phone with facial recognition unlocking.
Old May 11th 18, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-05-10 06:28, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I just don't think all those devices are necessary. Joerg talks with
horror
about his near misses, and about hearing from friends who heard from
friends
about other friends who nearly died.

The usual nonsense because you don't read carefully. These were
friends. People I hung out with all the time. And yes, they were hit
by cars while cycling. Then there is the wife of a guy I regularly met
on our dog walks. She was on a road bike and run over (literally) by a
large pickup truck. It took years of medical attention and special
training before she could even sit on a road bike again.

Joerg, in one of your past horror story rants, you talked about all the
cyclists killed "around here." I asked for links and got one article
talking about a cyclist killed something like 50 miles away from you.

Wrong again. I quoted numerous reports from the Sacramento Bee about
cyclist deaths. All from the Sacramento region, Rancho Cordova and so
on. It might surprise you but there are actually people from here who
ride down there. I did yesterday. Some people do not just use their
bicycles to go to the next grocery store.

Folsom has only rare accident reports because drum roll they have a
great bike path system. No cars, no being hit by cars. Simple.

Cycling deaths are well recorded and documented, yet you couldn't
provide evidence of your local killing fields.

Wrong. I did. You just didn't seem to pay attention.

... I strongly suspect the
same is true of the terrible number of near-deaths among cyclists you
know. Or for that matter, of the mountain lion attacks barely avoided,
the bike frames reduced to shrapnel by tire blowouts, the rides survived
only by use of glaring lights...

Believe what you want. I don't care.

I do believe you drink a hell of a lot of beer, though. So manly!

Got to run, have to bottle an IPA (no kidding).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old May 11th 18, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Fri, 11 May 2018 08:39:16 -0700, sms
wrote:
On 5/11/2018 7:36 AM, Joerg wrote:

Flashing rear lights are great and I use them. They make a cyclist
more noticeable than a car at the same distance. There are some that
turn into flash mode when power comes on (without pressing the
button) so with some simple electronics up front they could also be
useful for dynamo-only situations. Though then they will go out when
stopped which is not good.

For front lights I'd like to see the same law for bicycles as we have
in most states for motorcycles, daytime running lights are mandatory.
Modulated or flashing is better, but even solid is okay.

Oi. Where to begin. A flashing light in front is the most ****ing
annoying thing ever on a bike (and I am speaking here from the
perspective of the person *riding* the bike; it's even more annoying
from the perspective of everyone else).

For rear lights, most riders already use flashing rear lights.

I never do. My taillight is always set to not flash when it's on. It's
also annoying for those behind me.

A solidly shining light is plenty visible daytime or at night.
Old May 11th 18, 08:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 11 May 2018 13:33:04 -0400, Radey Shouman
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann writes:

This is easily fixed by a law

This is almost exactly never true.

I was trying to be subtle, which also never seems to work. The
original suggestion of adding bicycles to lighting regulations for
motorcycles was not my idea. I just expanded on the suggestion.

wrote:
For front lights I'd like to see the same law for bicycles as we have in
most states for motorcycles, daytime running lights are mandatory.
Modulated or flashing is better, but even solid is okay.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Old May 11th 18, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 10:28:53 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 5/11/2018 9:43 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip
Interestingly, most people are perfectly fine without DRLs. I can see DRLs and flashers in low light conditions, but actually requiring them for all conditions is dopey. I know you like to poke the ant-hill on this issues, so go for it, but equipment requirements will just turn into selective enforcement tools for cops who dislike certain riders. You're batteries run out, and some cop busts you because he doesn't like some ordinance you passed.

We need to pass more laws to make everything safe for everybody.

Actually I'm the only one on our council that's voted against some
ridiculous new ordinances that try to do that. On one vote the City
Clerk was so shocked that she reported the vote as unanimous and I had
to interrupt her to correct her. Passing meaningless, unenforceable laws
that are already duplicated at the state level is ridiculous. We have no
real way to even prosecute violators of some ordinances because the
county DA won't do it. OTOH, for some things, it's not that enforcement
is expected, it's about getting people to understand what behavior is a
good idea, and knowing that most people have the sense to do what the
law says (seat belt laws, etc.).

In my area, there's no need for laws regarding bicycle DRLs or rear
flashers, since usage is already very high for transportational cycling.
Some areas of the country could use this law. For example, in some
counties in Ohio, such as Mahoning County, there appears to be a need
for such a DRL law.

Except that the collision rate there is zero. It's the last place that needs regulation because the drivers appear to be paying attention.

That's another aspect of this law -- built-in comparative fault anytime some unlighted rider gets hit by a car, even if he or she is hit in broad daylight while wearing fluorescent clothing and pulling a calliope blaring The Liberty Bell march. It's negligence per se in most states and will go to the jury who may be disposed to hating bicyclists.

You will be screwed if your batteries die, particular if you get hit by a car or look like an illegal alien or whatever else happens to be unpopular at the time.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 11th 18, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Frank Krygowski wrote:
:On 5/10/2018 11:19 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
: Frank Krygowski wrote:
: :On 5/10/2018 6:15 PM, John B. wrote:
: :
: : I suspect that you, like I, are what might be called a sensible rider.
: : RE, door zones, just slow down a bit so you have time to dodge the
: : door if necessary.
:
: :Um... no, that's not sensible.
:
: :Consider what happens if you're riding just 15 kph and a driver pops his
: :door open as you pass his rear bumper. There's no way to stop in time.
:
: :If you're lucky, you'll hit his door squarely and crumple beneath it. If
: :you're unlucky, you'll snag the door edge with your right handlebar, the
: :bike will steer to the right, your body will be thrown down to the left,
: :and the motor vehicle you were worried about will run over you.
:
: :Unlike mountain lion attacks, dooring really is a danger. Most states
: :don't record it as a car-bike collision, because they record those only
: :if the car was moving. But Chicago did keep track, and found that
: :something like 20% of car-bike crashes were doorings.
:
: And we have a $1000 fine for causing an accident by dooring -- and the
: cops write the tickets.
:
: on't ride in the door zone. Just don't.
:
: Yeah, you live in smallsville. If I don't ride in the door zone, it
: takes me three times as long to get to work.

:Why are those the only choices? Details, please. What happens if you
:move a few feet left?

My commute invovles riding past a mile (literally, one mile) of cars
that are stopped at stop signs or lights. Riding between them and
parked cars gets me to the light or sign in one cycle. Moving to the
left puts me in stopped traffic.

--
sig 109
Old May 11th 18, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:

Jeff Liebermann writes:

This is easily fixed by a law

This is almost exactly never true.

I was trying to be subtle, which also never seems to work. The
original suggestion of adding bicycles to lighting regulations for
motorcycles was not my idea. I just expanded on the suggestion.

Just trying to be agreeable.

Old May 11th 18, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Of course not. Today, I would say, that a large number, perhaps a
majority of the street crime in Bangkok is "solved" by examining
surveillance camera film. I've read that G.B, has more surveillance
cameras installed then any other country in the world.

But, if, as recently happened here, someone punches you in the mouth
and steals your brand new iFone, do you care who's on Candid Camera?
Nope, you just want your iFone back.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 11th 18, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

My bank is muttering about a new security system that uses facial
recognition.

But essentially, so what, after all facial recognition was the first
ever security system :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.