New chain waxing technique

Old January 31st 06, 07:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default New chain waxing technique

So as part of our college team's sponsorship with Ritchey, I bought a big
bottle of chain wax lube (wax with a solvent carrier) a long time ago and
decided to finally use some now. I shook it up, applied it liberally on the
dry chain, and noticed big clumps everywhere. It's a rainy 60 degrees here
in Gainesville, and the wax solidified up hard as soon as it hit the chain,
rendering it useless for lubing within.

I remembered some of the hot wax ideas mentioned here before, and I figured
I could use heat from my torch to melt it down into the rollers. I picked
up the torch and forgot that I had broken off the safety head on it a while
back. So I grabbed a bottle of alcohol and planned to drip it on, then
light it. It turns out that there was no need for the alcohol. The solvent
carrier of the Ritchey lube lit right up, and the burning chain, chainrings,
and rear cog were a sight to see. Thirty seconds later, the fire goes out,
the wax is well-distributed around the chain (although a longer burn would
have been prefereable to ensure the pins heated up sufficiently.) This was
quick, easy, and kinda fun. Maybe White Lightning will do the same...

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old January 31st 06, 08:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote: (clip) the burning chain, chainrings, and
rear cog were a sight to see. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How about a picture of you riding the bike at night, with the chain lit up?

Old January 31st 06, 10:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
The solvent
carrier of the Ritchey lube lit right up, and the burning chain, chainrings,
and rear cog were a sight to see. Thirty seconds later, the fire goes out,
the wax is well-distributed around the chain (although a longer burn would
have been prefereable to ensure the pins heated up sufficiently.) This was
quick, easy, and kinda fun. Maybe White Lightning will do the same...

I think you are onto something... sort of a "flame cleaning/lubing
method"... burn off all that old nasty oil residue. I think the trick
will be to get the right proportion of flammable agents in the mix to
just melt the wax... without also melting your chainrings.

Opps... what about those plastic jockey wheels?

Old January 31st 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 01:19:25 -0500, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
wrote:

[...]

If you've got a light colored frame this could make for an interesting paint
effect when you're done.

Don't forget the asbestos chainstay protector.

Ron

Old January 31st 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 01:19:25 -0500, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
wrote:

[snip] The solvent
carrier of the Ritchey lube lit right up, and the burning chain, chainrings,
and rear cog were a sight to see. Thirty seconds later, the fire goes out,
the wax is well-distributed around the chain (although a longer burn would
have been prefereable to ensure the pins heated up sufficiently.) This was
quick, easy, and kinda fun. Maybe White Lightning will do the same...

I think, in deference to my desire to not meddle with the tempering of
the sideplates and/or risk torching the paint job on my chainstays,
that I will not attempt to duplicate this experiment.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old January 31st 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ron Ruff wrote:
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
The solvent
carrier of the Ritchey lube lit right up, and the burning chain,
chainrings, and rear cog were a sight to see. Thirty seconds later,
the fire goes out, the wax is well-distributed around the chain
(although a longer burn would have been prefereable to ensure the
pins heated up sufficiently.) This was quick, easy, and kinda fun.
Maybe White Lightning will do the same...

I think you are onto something... sort of a "flame cleaning/lubing
method"... burn off all that old nasty oil residue. I think the trick
will be to get the right proportion of flammable agents in the mix to
just melt the wax... without also melting your chainrings.

Euh... what kind of chainrings do you use? Non-metal ones that can't handle
a couple hundred degrees?

Opps... what about those plastic jockey wheels?

I forgot to mention that this was on my singlespeed townie. No plastic
anywhere.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old February 1st 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Werehatrack wrote:

I think, in deference to my desire to not meddle with the tempering of
the sideplates and/or risk torching the paint job on my chainstays,
that I will not attempt to duplicate this experiment.

Hi there, Werehatrack

Your concern about paint makes sense. But I doubt that the flames have
enough total heat to affect the steel in the chain. The lowest temp I'm
aware of to cause even a minor permanent change to steel is ~550F.
Perhaps Mr. Beam could bring some of his expertise to bear on this?

Sounds like fun, knida like Jessie James on Monster Garage, John

Old February 1st 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ron Ruff wrote:

I think you are onto something... sort of a "flame cleaning/lubing
method"... burn off all that old nasty oil residue. I think the trick
will be to get the right proportion of flammable agents in the mix to
just melt the wax... without also melting your chainrings.

Perhaps a peaceful use for napalm? Brush it into the chain and ignite
to remove the old lubricant - in the morning of course, because of the
great smell. Apply the wax when the fire is out but before the chain is
cool.

Opps... what about those plastic jockey wheels?

Well, maybe we haven't got all the bugs ironed out yet.

--
Dave...

Old February 1st 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

at a world cup event back in 97 i was show this method by one of the
mechanics working for the Toyota/RAV4 team (Bob DeGregorio). been
doing it ever since. it also works with white lightning and finish
line's krytech.

so long as you set the chain in the largest ring and some large cog,
there's hardly a chance to do damage to anything. and if you pedal
while it's flaming.....no need to worry about the pulleys.

funny that this comes up several years later....i've been passing this
on to most people i know and meet at races.

it's the absolute WORST method for cleaning chains though.

Old February 2nd 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

john wrote:
Werehatrack wrote:

I think, in deference to my desire to not meddle with the tempering of
the sideplates and/or risk torching the paint job on my chainstays,
that I will not attempt to duplicate this experiment.

Hi there, Werehatrack

Your concern about paint makes sense. But I doubt that the flames have
enough total heat to affect the steel in the chain. The lowest temp I'm
aware of to cause even a minor permanent change to steel is ~550F.
Perhaps Mr. Beam could bring some of his expertise to bear on this?

Sounds like fun, knida like Jessie James on Monster Garage, John

if you're just melting wax, there will be no effect on chain temper.

if however the chain is heated enough to cause any coloration, you can
use this chart to identify the temperature you've reached, and get an
idea of the effect it'll have.

http://www.threeplanes.net/toolsteel.html