Front SRAM shifter stuck in lowest chain ring

Old June 27th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Front SRAM shifter stuck in lowest chain ring

Was riding my Trek Navigator 100 tonight and a small piece of plastic
fell out of the SRAM 3.0+ twist grip shifter for the front chain
ring/derailer. I snapped it back in, but afterwards, instead of 3
distinct shift points (for 3 front chain rings), it had about 6 stops.
It was trial and error to find stops which didn't make the front
derailer click against the chain, but at least all 3 forward rings
would work. About 30 minutes later, the same piece fell out again.
Although I snapped it in again, afterwards the shifter would not stay
in any position but the first (lowest) front chain ring. Luckily, I was
close to home.

Q. -- Is there anything to do but replace the front shifter?

Q. -- Will I have to buy two shifters (left and right)h to fix this?

Q. -- Do I have to change out the derailer(s) as part of this?

Old June 27th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

mike wrote:
Replace just the front shifter, about US$25 or so

Thanks for your answer.

My questions were prompted by the concerns that (1) left and right
shifters are only sold in pairs? (2) left shifter and front derailer
are only sold in sets? You clearly answered that I can buy just the
left shifter so I'll do that, but on looking around the 'net, I can't
find a single vendor who sells just the left shifter. At least, there
are no listings on froogle.google.com.

Thanks again.

Old June 28th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Gray" wrote in message
ups.com...
mike wrote:
Replace just the front shifter, about US$25 or so

Thanks for your answer.

My questions were prompted by the concerns that (1) left and right
shifters are only sold in pairs? (2) left shifter and front derailer
are only sold in sets? You clearly answered that I can buy just the
left shifter so I'll do that, but on looking around the 'net, I can't
find a single vendor who sells just the left shifter. At least, there
are no listings on froogle.google.com.

Thanks again.

You're in luck - Nashbar has several front-only GripShifters on closeout
right now, as low as $5.

http://tinyurl.com/puuza

They have both indexed and micro-indexed. I prefer the micro-indexed, (3 or
4 clicks per chainring) so you can trim the front derailleur as you shift
across the rear. YMMV.