I went for a cycle ride today.

Old September 10th 09, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
BrianW[_2_]

Default I went for a cycle ride today.

On 9 Sep, 19:46, JNugent wrote:
Doug wrote:
Nearly all the drivers who passed me, mostly travelling in convoys,
were ignoring those flashing 'slow down' signs. Is it any wonder that
so many people are killed and injured on our roads with such a
cavalier attitude to public safety? Not only that but several large
lorries and not a few cars passed perilously close to me.

The one nearest to my house flashes "Slow Down" even if you approach it at
less than the (30 mph) speed limit (as I usually do).

Yup, there's one near me that does that, which makes it worse than
useless. I guess Duhg would approve, though, given that he believes
we should drive everywhere at 0 mph.
Old September 10th 09, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ben C

On 2009-09-10, BrianW wrote:
On 9 Sep, 19:46, JNugent wrote:
Doug wrote:
Nearly all the drivers who passed me, mostly travelling in convoys,
were ignoring those flashing 'slow down' signs. Is it any wonder that
so many people are killed and injured on our roads with such a
cavalier attitude to public safety? Not only that but several large
lorries and not a few cars passed perilously close to me.

The one nearest to my house flashes "Slow Down" even if you approach it at
less than the (30 mph) speed limit (as I usually do).

Yup, there's one near me that does that, which makes it worse than
useless.

Why? If you're doing more than 30, you wouldn't have known that it would
have gone off anyway, so would have felt no less chastised as a result.

If you were doing less than 30 then you're obviously utterly safe anyway
so it doesn't matter. It's not like it gave you an actual ticket.
Old September 10th 09, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

Doug wrote:
On 9 Sep, 19:46, JNugent wrote:
Doug wrote:
Nearly all the drivers who passed me, mostly travelling in convoys,
were ignoring those flashing 'slow down' signs. Is it any wonder that
so many people are killed and injured on our roads with such a
cavalier attitude to public safety? Not only that but several large
lorries and not a few cars passed perilously close to me.

The one nearest to my house flashes "Slow Down" even if you approach it at
less than the (30 mph) speed limit (as I usually do).

The next nearest (in a 40 limit) does the same, even at (say) 38mph indicated
(which is likely to be a true 36 or 37).

Remember the story about the boy who cried "wolf"?

They are probably placed at danger spots, such as before bends. You
are just not supposed to drive around at a steady 37mph in a 30mph
zone, regardless of conditions.

Certainly the one on Muswell Hill is there as a check.
Even in second gear the camper gets quicker than 30mph (33 last time I
went past) and that's still applying the brakes now and then.

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old September 10th 09, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman[_3_]

Doug wrote:

On 9 Sep, 19:46, JNugent wrote:
Doug wrote:
Nearly all the drivers who passed me, mostly travelling in convoys,
were ignoring those flashing 'slow down' signs. Is it any wonder that
so many people are killed and injured on our roads with such a
cavalier attitude to public safety? Not only that but several large
lorries and not a few cars passed perilously close to me.

The one nearest to my house flashes "Slow Down" even if you approach it at
less than the (30 mph) speed limit (as I usually do).

The next nearest (in a 40 limit) does the same, even at (say) 38mph
indicated (which is likely to be a true 36 or 37).

Remember the story about the boy who cried "wolf"?

They are probably placed at danger spots, such as before bends. You
are just not supposed to drive around at a steady 37mph in a 30mph
zone, regardless of conditions.

they may supposed to be, but I rather think they are not all, there is
flashing slow down sign on the way to my folks place, seems to do it at
any speeds, even if inching along at very low speeds such as in heavy
fog, (it's well over 1000ft at that point.)

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old September 10th 09, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman[_3_]

On 2009-09-10, BrianW wrote:
On 9 Sep, 19:46, JNugent wrote:
Doug wrote:
Nearly all the drivers who passed me, mostly travelling in convoys,
were ignoring those flashing 'slow down' signs. Is it any wonder that
so many people are killed and injured on our roads with such a
cavalier attitude to public safety? Not only that but several large
lorries and not a few cars passed perilously close to me.

The one nearest to my house flashes "Slow Down" even if you approach it at
less than the (30 mph) speed limit (as I usually do).

Yup, there's one near me that does that, which makes it worse than
useless.

Why? If you're doing more than 30, you wouldn't have known that it would
have gone off anyway, so would have felt no less chastised as a result.

If you were doing less than 30 then you're obviously utterly safe anyway
so it doesn't matter. It's not like it gave you an actual ticket.

It's cry wolf it teaches people that the signs are meaningless.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old September 11th 09, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 2009-09-10, BrianW wrote:
On 9 Sep, 19:46, JNugent wrote:
Doug wrote:
[...]

On my cycle ride today I was nearly rammed by a motorcyclist who came
within a couple of cm of my back wheel. It was an act of deliberate
intimidation to get me out of his way. The condition of the roads too
was deplorable and very bumpy with the remnants of many badly finished
roadworks, pot-holes and gratings.

--
London Carfree
http://www.london.carfree.org.uk/

Old September 11th 09, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

On 2009-09-10, BrianW wrote:
On 9 Sep, 19:46, JNugent wrote:
Doug wrote:
[...]

How did you measure it Doug?

It was an act of deliberate
intimidation to get me out of his way.

How do you know?

The condition of the roads too
was deplorable and very bumpy with the remnants of many badly finished
roadworks, pot-holes and gratings.

Who have you complained to Doug?

Old September 11th 09, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

On 2009-09-10, BrianW wrote:
On 9 Sep, 19:46, JNugent wrote:
Doug wrote:
[...]

He must have recogised you" I go on at least 4 cycle rides every
weekday I have never been "nearly rammed" , as an aside, how do you know
he was "within a couple of cm " of your back wheel, have you got some
sort of hypermobility in your neck?
Old September 11th 09, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 2009-09-10, BrianW wrote:
On 9 Sep, 19:46, JNugent wrote:
Doug wrote:
[...]

I think that Doug must have made so many enemies in his local area that
a reward has been put out to use him as target practise.
I believe that the winner is the one who makes him fall off his bike
without actually touching him.

--

Tony Dragon
Old September 11th 09, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

On 2009-09-10, BrianW wrote:
On 9 Sep, 19:46, JNugent wrote:
Doug wrote:
[...]

Anno Domini will be the winner (as indeed, it will for all of us).

BR X ride today jazmo Australia 1 January 28th 07 10:18 AM
Shrewsbury cycle route in Daily Mail today. Martin Bulmer UK 9 April 19th 06 09:49 AM
had to ride today ayers General 0 January 16th 05 04:12 PM
Went on a cycle path today Simonb UK 19 July 26th 04 06:20 AM
The Cycle gods are smiling today in Melbourne coowoowoo Australia 31 June 4th 04 08:30 AM