The new normal

Old April 1st 20, 09:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default The new normal

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 7:16:37 AM UTC+1, Tosspot wrote:

Is it true helmets protect you from COVID-19?

Apparently not where Mr Moots does his thing...

Andre Jute
Or his dealers
Old April 1st 20, 11:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 01/04/2020 09:23, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 1:24:36 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 3:57:18 PM UTC-7,
wrote:
On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 10:29:05 PM UTC+2, Ralph Barone
wrote:
It’s good to see that everybody has adjusted to their new
COVID-19 reality (whatever it is for each of us), and we can
now get back to discussing important technical matters like
“Can you really bang your head on a tree branch while riding
alongside a road?” and “What is the purpose of government?”

Rather refreshing, I think...

Besides keeping a low profile and a lot of riding alone the last
week I was busy handling the **** up of my dealer. I ordered a
gravel bike the first week of December 2019. The expected
delivery time was 2-3 months so after 2 months I made some
inquiries about the state of affairs. I got some vage answer
about a delay, so I waited another month and asked again. Another
vage answer or no answer at all, so in the end I got ****ed and
suspicious. Then the boss called to humbly explain that they
****ed up. They left the order in the ToDo bin for 3 months and
placed the order only at the beginning of this month (March) and
expected the frame first week of May. F*ck, the sale guy (son of
the boss) knew he ****ed up and lied to me in several emails.
Then the Corona crisis also reached the US or they start taking
it serious and Moots had to shut down their facility until april
12 on the Governors order and probably for longer so no frame the
first week of May that became clear. Two days ago I got an Email
from Moots that they were selling their showroom bikes and
frames. I looked at them and there was a complete bike for sale
with the correct frame size. GRX Di2 1x11 instead of my wanted
Ultegra Di2 2x11 and different wheels of course. I can live with
that if the dealer converts it to GRX Di2 2x11 speed and swap the
handlebar. The rest are all quality components and on par with my
first choice. So this bike was ordered and today I got the Email
that the bike is going to be shipped. They still allowed to do
that. Phewww....fingers crossed. Should arrive some 10 days from
now.

Dear Mr. Lou, I own small company in a backward nation, and my
native workers now have plague, so they will not work hard for me,
or they die. I sorry for so much time to have gone by for your
bicycle, but you will like it very much. Thank you and the people
of your great country, The Holland. We will cherish your money for
long time.

-- Mr. Moots.

Update, now Moots ****ed up and they sold the bike to someone else
before the payment of the LBS arrived despite the fact that they
said, according to my LBS, it would be reserved for me. Unbelievable
what a mess. Considering my options now.

They're lying. Get a refund from the shop, never deal with them again,
never advise anyone else to deal with them.
Old April 1st 20, 02:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/31/2020 3:57 PM, wrote:

[...]

I ordered some items back in late December as well and have only gotten
a string of excuses as to why the merchandise has not arrived.

The reality is that the United States is winning the battle against the
virus and any minute now it could suddenly disappear completely. Then
everyone will get everything they ordered.

We all love our president in the United States and appreciate the great
job he’s been doing. Soon, Tom will figure out how to hook together
incompatible DI2 pieces, you will get the gravel bike you ordered, I’ll
get my cheap Chinese flashlights, Frank will receive his helmets, Jay
will get a new frame for the umpteenth time for his broken Cannondale,
and the world will be a better place.

April Fools.

Old April 1st 20, 03:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/1/2020 1:16 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 31/03/2020 22:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
It’s good to see that everybody has adjusted to their
new COVID-19 reality
(whatever it is for each of us), and we can now get back
to discussing
important technical matters like “Can you really bang
your head on a tree
branch while riding alongside a road?” and “What is
the purpose of
government?”

Rather refreshing, I think...

Is it true helmets protect you from COVID-19?

And leg injuries too. There's a study on that.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 1st 20, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Tosspot wrote:
On 31/03/2020 22:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
It’s good to see that everybody has adjusted to their new COVID-19 reality
(whatever it is for each of us), and we can now get back to discussing
important technical matters like “Can you really bang your head on a tree
branch while riding alongside a road?” and “What is the purpose of
government?”

Rather refreshing, I think...

Is it true helmets protect you from COVID-19?

It’s the opposite. People who wear helmets are slightly more likely to die
of COVID-19 :-)

Old April 1st 20, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/31/2020 11:16 PM, Tosspot wrote:
On 31/03/2020 22:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
It’s good to see that everybody has adjusted to their new COVID-19
reality
(whatever it is for each of us), and we can now get back to discussing
important technical matters like “Can you really bang your head on a tree
branch while riding alongside a road?” and “What is the purpose of
government?”

Rather refreshing, I think...

Is it true helmets protect you from COVID-19?

63.8% of the people in the U.S. that tested positive for Covid-19 said
that they wear a helmet when cycling. If you use the
FK-Correlation-Postulate™ that would prove that helmets cause Covid-19.
On the other hand, 76.4% of U.S. residents wear a helmet while cycling
so the FK-Correlation-Postulate™ would actually prove that wearing a
helmet prevents Covid-19. And if you look at China, were very few
cyclists wear helmets but had a high rate of Covid-19 cases, that would
show that not wearing a helmet leads to Covid-19.

A full face shield helmet is another story entirely. A motorcycle helmet
with a face shield would probably have some effect on transmission and
reception. For kids, use this one
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000631092667.html

I think we will have to wait until Trump weighs in on the effects of
bicycle helmets on Covid-19. He knows more about this than anyone
because he had an uncle that went to MIT and rode a bicycle without
wearing a helmet and did not get Covid-19. Trump also knows more about
DI2 than anyone so Tom could contact him for advice.

I will be on a call today at 10:30 PDT with Dr. Anthony Fauci and if
they allow questions I could ask about the effectiveness of bicycle
helmets on stopping the spread of the virus, but I think I won't. Risk
compensation will come into play here as well since those people that
take precautions are likely to engage in more risky behavior even though
there's no evidence that this is the case for either helmet wearers or
mask wearers.

Ultimately someone needs to form a research foundation where everyone
that ignores all scientific evidence can weigh in on the effectiveness
of helmets on Covid-19, the same way another foundation is made up of
members that spend a great deal of effort ignoring all the scientific
evidence of the effectiveness of bicycle helmets on head injuries. The
NRA may also want to weigh in on the effectiveness of assault weapons
against Covid-19.
Old April 1st 20, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 01/04/2020 16:36, Ralph Barone wrote:
Tosspot wrote:
On 31/03/2020 22:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
It’s good to see that everybody has adjusted to their new
COVID-19 reality (whatever it is for each of us), and we can now
get back to discussing important technical matters like “Can you
really bang your head on a tree branch while riding alongside a
road?” and “What is the purpose of government?”

Rather refreshing, I think...

Is it true helmets protect you from COVID-19?

It’s the opposite. People who wear helmets are slightly more likely
to die of COVID-19 :-)

applause I like the cut of your jib Sir!

Old April 1st 20, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 1:29:05 PM UTC-7, Ralph Barone wrote:
It’s good to see that everybody has adjusted to their new COVID-19 reality
(whatever it is for each of us), and we can now get back to discussing
important technical matters like “Can you really bang your head on a tree
branch while riding alongside a road?” and “What is the purpose of
government?”

Rather refreshing, I think...

The road was lined by trees in their spring leaves. You couldn't hardly see the upper limbs and who would have expected that the road maintenance people would have allowed not just a branch but a very large and heavy branch to hang over the road like that? Because that is a side road there was no truck traffic that would normally break these sorts of things off.

Because it was hanging over the bike lane, I would have never thought for a second that that branch was there so I was only ducking far enough to keep my eyes below the leaves and my helmet was brushing through the leaves.

I was riding about 15 mph since I had come in from a country road that I was traveling pretty fast on and this area had new residential area I wasn't familiar with. When I struck that branch it didn't even move an inch. It jammed by head down under it and it slowed me down to much that I stopped less than 10 feet from it.

I was sort of shocked for perhaps 30 seconds. Then I took my bike over and leaned it against the 15 foot concrete wall that enclosed the residential area and went over to look at that branch. You could actually do pull-ups on it, it was so heavy. It was completely hidden from all but one small angle (on the wrong side of course) by the heavy leaves.

I know that town and my niece has a small business there and I also know that it would be useless to ask them to clear any overhanging tree branches and that it would take a lawsuit for an injury to get any action. So I just rode on.

And rode to the highest point of Altamont Pass. Although there is a freeway exit there it is only used by long haul truckers as a sleep area or a location at which truckers meet up to off-load the extra weight that they carried into the state because three miles ahead is a weighing station. The other side is a road that used to have farmer's fields on left but they installed wind farms there and now nothing can live there. Down the hill a bit is a rancher on the right ang the cows all huddle together because of the noise off of the windmills is extremely disturbing to them. They do not fatten properly there, so the farmer is just screwed by those windmills that cost more to build, install and maintain, than they ever make in energy. All of the insectivore bats in the area are killed by the supersonic noise that comes off of the end of those blades and the ground around them is littered with Raptors and other birds that cannot judge the speed nor height of a windmill that is higher off of the ground than the length of a football field.

Franky boy besides telling us all that I didn't hit my head also said that windmills don't bother cattle. That is because in his own mind he is a God of pure unassailable knowledge.
Old April 1st 20, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 5:11:55 PM UTC+2, sms wrote:
[...]

Hey, this was a non Covid-19 thread so stop this crap here.

Lou
Old April 1st 20, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 11:13:06 AM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

When you ride, how high is your head above the pavement?

- Frank Krygowski

normal? brendon557 Unicycling 2 March 27th 08 06:47 AM
Is this normal? Tom Crispin UK 17 March 25th 08 08:53 PM
T value was NORMAL. E was LOW pete Racing 67 August 10th 06 12:53 AM
is this normal? LegoBoy Unicycling 22 March 28th 05 05:44 AM
Is this normal Alpine Australia 15 December 30th 04 09:53 PM