Todays ride

Old April 3rd 20, 12:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Default Todays ride

On Thursday, April 2, 2020 at 1:51:11 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 10:57:38 PM UTC+1, James wrote:
On 1/4/20 10:11 am, wrote:
My cycling holiday to Spain was cancelled of course for the obvious
reason but I still have this week off. Although a bit chilly and
windy the weather is nice so I can ride bike a lot. On todays ride at
a certain point I hear a tractor coming from behind and pulled to the
right to let him pass. It was a tractor that had been dumping chalk
over the fields all white itself. When he just passed me he went over
a bump and the valve opened a bit and suddenly I was riding in a big
white cloud of chalk covering my whole black bike and my clothes.
some of it blew off but on the rest of my route, still had to go 25
km, people starred at me puzzled....;-)

Lou

I rode around a loop from home of nearly 50km, that included probably
20km of gravel road. I rode my gravel bike but left my "rough road"
wheels on instead of swapping to the "off road" wheels that sport wider
more grippy tyres. That was a mistake. I had to walk up a couple of
short steep sections where I just couldn't find enough traction and
steering at low speed to maintain balance. There were also some very
wicked corrugations that made some corners a pretty wild ride.

But alas, no mountain lions, only wallabies, birds and a couple of cows..
No broken bike. No chain repairs with rocks and nails, etc. My
plastic bidon cages (now Lezyne brand because they seem to hold my new
bidons in better) didn't bust & my B&M headlight and SP dynamo hub is
fine and dandy also.

I even found time to stop a take a couple of photos and later attached
them to my Strava account for that ride.

--
JS

However much the health authorities are paying you to keep would-be tours to Australia at home, the Tourist Board will pay you more. Just thought I'd mention it. -- AJ

Today I again did my local ride. I am stuck doing a local loop since there are no longer any coffee shops open for a mid-ride refreshment. 36 km without stopping in the cold and the headwind wasn't as bad as it's been. Not calm by any means but not so cutting that it blows right through my windproof jacket.

Average speed 14.9 mph and the normal amount of stops at stop lights along the way and I didn't feel like I was pushing it though I did get tired as hell near the end so perhaps I was.

Hardly any people out even though the bright sun was out. It was simply 50 degrees at the warmest part of the day. That probably sounds like a full summer flush to you in Ireland.
Old April 3rd 20, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

I have been going out each day early getting 50 miles a day. Had a PR for March for miles. Go out, ride, come back, stay away from everything and person. Get decent food and drink good beer. It could be worse.

Deacon Mark C
Old April 3rd 20, 07:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, April 3, 2020 at 2:30:38 AM UTC+2, Mark Cleary wrote:
I have been going out each day early getting 50 miles a day. Had a PR for March for miles. Go out, ride, come back, stay away from everything and person. Get decent food and drink good beer. It could be worse.

Deacon Mark C

I ride every other day and for the rest I also keeping a low profile. I'm working on my FTP to have a goal so I did a hard 78 km ride yesterday. Managed an average power of 194 Watt. Not bad for early spring. It did hurt with the headwind the first part but I flew home the second part pushing a 52-15/16 gear to keep the power high. Today recovery day, spring cleaning of the back yard and setting up a workplace at home for next week. I hate working from home. Go to work as much as possible.

Lou
Old April 3rd 20, 11:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

wrote:
On Friday, April 3, 2020 at 2:30:38 AM UTC+2, Mark Cleary wrote:
I have been going out each day early getting 50 miles a day. Had a PR
for March for miles. Go out, ride, come back, stay away from everything
and person. Get decent food and drink good beer. It could be worse.

Deacon Mark C

I ride every other day and for the rest I also keeping a low profile. I'm
working on my FTP to have a goal so I did a hard 78 km ride yesterday.
Managed an average power of 194 Watt. Not bad for early spring. It did
hurt with the headwind the first part but I flew home the second part
pushing a 52-15/16 gear to keep the power high. Today recovery day,
spring cleaning of the back yard and setting up a workplace at home for
next week. I hate working from home. Go to work as much as possible.

Lou

194 watts over 78km is pretty impressive in April. I’ve been slacking on
the training so. The worst thing about this working from home is not
having to stop and leave the office.

Just got my bike off the trainer and road ready. My plan is to commute as
much as possible even though it will be a round trip each way.

Old April 3rd 20, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, April 3, 2020 at 12:31:20 PM UTC+2, Duane wrote:
wrote:
[...]

On a trainer it is almost impossible to sustain an average of 194 Watt for 2,5 hours. We had a lot of wind the last weeks and then it is also difficult to sustain that kind of power, because you pushing 240 Watt for an 1-1.5 hr with a headwind and then .... nothing with a tailwind and end up with an average of 170-180 Watt. A moderate wind like yesterday is the best.

Working from home is 60% as effective as working from the office. If you have a question for your colleague you have to call him, ****ing skype him (you mic is off, your sound is off. Yuck). I hate that. In the office you just turn around and just ask the question. Now my second PC computer monitor arrived, install it and make it work. Still struggling with the drivers of my 3D mouse..#$%%@$% I have to use with my 3D CAD application.

Lou
Old April 3rd 20, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

Like you, I usually find that it hurts more with a headwind, but I'm not sure
why. As long as gearing is adequate, we should be able to downshift to maintain
the same power and cadence, and just accept a lower speed. But it feels worse.
I don't know if it's purely the psychological effect of not wanting to go so
slow, or if there's something else going on. Maybe the different effect of
small changes in gradient on speed (with headwind compared to no wind or
tailwind) plays a role.

Old April 3rd 20, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

I think the natural reaction to a headwind that is not constant is that you push a little harder to maintain the same cadence, you are downshifting always with a delay. You see the power go up 20-40 Watt almost instantly and then think I have to downshift to maintain the same power. Only change in cadence is what I feel immediately. Only Frank is able to maintain the same power and can measure the speed loss when turning on his dyno ;-).

Lou
Old April 3rd 20, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Unless you have a power meter we all tend to attempt to maintain the same speed into a headwind. This means that FTP is pressing the limits. My reaction is to hold my speed as long as possible and then drop down a couple mph until I rest whereupon my speed increases while I'm not paying attention to trying to hold my speed at my actual FTP and not above that which you can hold for shorter times.

I tried using a power meter and I simply was not impressed. I have plenty of problems watching out for traffic that I don't need a power meter to attend to at the same time.
Old April 3rd 20, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 2/4/20 12:07 pm, John B. wrote:

No fires? I thought you Australians did fires :-)

As I understand it, the bushfires are currently extinguished.

--
JS
Old April 3rd 20, 11:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 2/4/20 9:58 am, jbeattie wrote:

Koalas? Please tell me there are some koalas left.

I'm certain there are.

One of the guys who started Ibis bicycles was a friend of mine way
back when, and I learned from yet another friend who had just
returned from Australia, that Ibis are called "bin chickens" down
there because they've learned how to get into garbage cans. That
seems like a bad reflection on the bike brand. "I was out riding mah
bin chicken!" Maybe they should pick another bird.

Indeed the term "bin chicken" referring to ibis is wide spread, as are
the birds.

--
JS

TODAYS RIDE Andrew Chaplin Techniques 19 February 6th 18 04:46 PM
TODAYS RIDE [email protected] Techniques 355 September 20th 16 04:29 PM
TODAYS RIDE T0m $herman Techniques 104 October 20th 15 10:45 PM
TODAYS RIDE [email protected] Techniques 74 January 31st 15 04:47 PM
TODAYS RIDE 3 [email protected] Techniques 19 October 6th 14 03:00 AM