Madone and Di2 Dura Ace

Old April 4th 20, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Default Madone and Di2 Dura Ace

I have put together an entire groups of Di2 Dura Ace except for Ultegra Cranks.

I really can't put them together yet since I have to pull the bottom bracket and figure out how to install Di2 in a frame that isn't designed to have internal wiring. From the shape of the seat tube it is clear that an internal batter won't work. I have purchased an external batter mount but haven't gotten around to purchasing the battery yet. No hurry.

Discovered something really interesting today. I have a carbon bar and stem.. Despite using carbon paste at the most inopportune time it can rotate. The first time I almost fell off. The second and third I realized what was happening and could handle it safely. But that isn't something I would look forward to.

I've bought a couple of integrated carbon bar/stems. They are slightly more than their stated weight since it is always with the shorted stem length and narrowest bars. But they claim a weight around 365 grams.

The stem bar combination I have is a 44 cm bar and a 120 mm stem. It weighs 415 grams as a test I weighed my FSA AL bar and Cannondale stem and they weighed exactly the same - 415 grams. I've been moving to narrower bars since I almost never ride on the tops because I have to have instant access to the brakes around here.

So I happened to have a Specialized bar that I'd gotten from somewhere and weighed it and it was 40 grams lighter than the FSA. That makes the aluminum bar and stem lighter than the carbon parts and while carbon fiber parts are more fatigue resistant, Al is a lot more shock resistant.

The same thing occurred with my aero carbon wheels. The 50 mm carbon wheels were actually slightly heavier than the 40 mm aluminum wheels. So the wheels and bars and stem on the Madone are going to be aluminum. And I can use Dura Ace brake pads which are stronger than the carbon fiber brakes. Wahoo!

FS: 60cm Trek 5.9 Madone W/Dura Ace 10 [email protected] Marketplace 0 November 30th 05 08:45 PM
Madone 5.2 MikeyOz Australia 1 October 7th 05 08:39 AM
FS: 56cm Trek Madone 5.9...Full Dura Ace, 05 wheels, carbon handlebar oclvframe Marketplace 0 October 6th 05 05:11 PM
Madone 5.2 SL Hans C. Techniques 35 September 21st 05 12:35 AM
Madone no more... Steve Blankenship Racing 1 July 21st 03 06:54 PM