Covid-19, Cycling Masks, and CCFs

Old April 5th 20, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Covid-19, Cycling Masks, and CCFs

Covid-19, Cycling Masks, and CCFs

This whole mess seems to be getting people out onto their bicycles
because it's one of the only approved outdoor activities. In my
neighborhood people are digging their bicycles out of their garages and
sheds and getting them in ride able condition.

It's become harder to buy bicycle parts and accessories with so many
stores closed, though bicycle shops are legally allowed to do repairs as
well as sell the necessary parts for repairs, and apparently accessories
since one friend was able to buy a new helmet at Palo Alto Bicycles.
Nashbar/Performance is still shipping, and you can still order stuff
online from Amazon, eBay, and Aliexpress.

I've taken the opportunity to get my whole fleet into shape, doing
maintenance that's been put off for a while. Also I've lent out a
bicycle to a friend of mine whose spousal unit didn't have one. With
gyms and health clubs closed people are turning to cycling.

On Nextdoor there are complaints about cyclists passing pedestrians with
less than six feet of clearance, with demands that the City pass a law
requiring cyclists to wear masks. But the reality is that cycling
imposes natural social distancing, with less of need for masks than for
pedestrians, though everyone should really be wearing a mask outside no
matter what. The MUPs are too crowded with people, this is the ideal
time to ride on roads that are normally busy but are now nearly empty.

Many people aren't prepared for night riding. I've been giving away more
City bicycle lights though they are strictly "being seen lights" and I
advise people that to ride at night they really need a better front
light. On Amazon I saw a CCF that solves the eternal problem of being
able to shine straight ahead as well as up to see street signs and
low-hanging branches and down to see the road surface, all at the same
time. Charges via USB, presumably Micro-USB.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W3THXQM. Pair that with a handlebar
bracket and you're set for under $20. One review on Amazon states:
"Nothing on the market like this flashlight. I own 3 of them. My bike
riding buddy & I mount ours (w/ GoPro mounts) to our bike helmets. You
can rotate the smaller two lights independently 180°. There are 3
settings: soft, bright & flashing. One of the best features is that you
can focus the powerful main beam for wide view or a narrow, bright beam.
It's rechargeable and lightweight. We love these flashlights / bike
headlamps." Oddly, no one is buying dynamo wheels and lights!

All of my bicycles with Shimano DI2 are now working fine, I've had no
breakage issues with any of my carbon-fiber bicycles, none of my
tubeless tires have had a puncture, and all of my CO2 cartridges are full.
Old April 5th 20, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Sun, 5 Apr 2020 08:50:06 -0700, sms
wrote:

On Nextdoor there are complaints about cyclists passing pedestrians with
less than six feet of clearance, with demands that the City pass a law
requiring cyclists to wear masks. But the reality is that cycling
imposes natural social distancing, with less of need for masks than for
pedestrians, though everyone should really be wearing a mask outside no
matter what. The MUPs are too crowded with people, this is the ideal
time to ride on roads that are normally busy but are now nearly empty.

Yep, the MUPs around here are full- you'd have to well ride off into the
grass to give six feet clearance (since most of the trails are only 6
feet wide, some even less), so best to stay off them altogether. The
runners and pedestrians are not giving six feet to each other, at least
in the afternoons when the crowds are out. In Minneapolis they are
closing some of the parkways next to the MUPs along the river and lakes
to give people more room to spread out, no cars to contend with at all.

As you point out, traffic volumes are down and roads are more accessible
than possibly ever as a result.