"Confusion reigns as states reverse course on 'essential' status forbike shops"

Old April 8th 20, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Default "Confusion reigns as states reverse course on 'essential' statusfor bike shops"

On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 11:45:32 AM UTC-7, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 08.04.2020 um 19:44 schrieb Tom Kunich:
Hydroxychloroquine is not a "cure" it gives close to total symptom relief reportedly in 8 to 12 hours. Seems like a good idea to me.

Hydroxychloroquine is an immune supressant. It prevents your body from
fighting the virus, which might be a very bad idea or a good idea
depending on the exact situation. It is good if your body over-reacts
and destroys your lung while fighting the virus, and it's bad if have a
bacterial pneumonia on top.

It is more of an anti-inflammatory. This is how it works on Lupus and severe arthritis. As an anti-malarial drug it poisons the Malaria parasite.

In severe cases of covid-19 you can get Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) which is caused by your immune system going out of control and causing massive inflammation of your lungs and airways. Hydroxychloroquine reduces this inflammation and the added antibiotic is there just to lower the chances of contracting bacterial pneumonia.
Old April 8th 20, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 14:32:44 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 11:26:47 AM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 11:01:13 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

Around here they are ONLY testing people with a dry cough and
high fevers. Their positive rates are nearly 100%.

Where is around here?

Alameda County.

Great. Too bad Alameda County doesn't have a web page or dashboard
with testing results. The best I could find is:
http://www.acphd.org/2019-ncov.aspx
which excludes cases for Berkeley. Where did you find the nearly 100%
positive rate for "around here"?

And I can see that there's no use in carrying this on any further
since you cannot interpret a negative sentence with a positive verb
being incorrectly entered.

I presume you mean:
"Not having testing positive does NOT mean having been exposed".
I'll admit that I was a rather confused by this sentence. I thought I
had decoded it correctly, but apparently not. Could I trouble you to
untangle the sentence into something intelligible?

Twiddle off and play your games with John and Jay. You're worthy of them.

This must be your way of avoiding a retraction your "nearly 100%"
positive test rate claim for Alameda County. You shoved your foot
down your own mouth, so now you suffer the indignity of admitting that
you were wrong. I normally don't enjoy such things, but since you
seem pathologically unable to engage in ANY discussion that does not
involve you insulting, demeaning, or otherwise abusing anyone you find
disagreeable, I will relish the moment for however long it lasts. Now,
either produce proof of your claim that Alameda County test scores are
nearly 100% or deliver a suitable retraction.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old April 9th 20, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 08 Apr 2020 15:16:36 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 4/8/2020 2:56 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 12:19:45 PM UTC-7, Sepp Ruf wrote:
sms wrote:
On 4/8/2020 10:51 AM, jbeattie wrote:

Presidents touting an untried drug leads to: (1) people killing
themselves with fish medicine or knock-off drugs sold on the internet,
(2) hoarding, (3) inflated expectations of miracle cures, and (4)
distraction from proven therapies. You don't just throw **** out to
make a media splash.

Proven therapies for the Boris flu? Tell us more, Doc Beattie!

Perhaps not the best choice of words. I was thinking of social-distancing, PPE, etc. Once people learn of a miracle cure -- like penicillin -- they're more likely to engage in risk-taking behavior, some quite fun. This is why we should ban helmets.

-- Jay Beattie.

Engage in risk taking behavior? Against the current
guidelines? Who would ever do such a thing?

https://nypost.com/2020/04/06/couple...irus-lockdown/

Actually that would be allowed, I think, if they maintained the 2
meter "social distancing" :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 9th 20, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 10:51:36 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 6:53:05 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/8/2020 2:15 AM, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 08.04.2020 um 02:24 schrieb AMuzi:

I agree with you. These are anecdotes but there aren't
anecdotes of harm and as I've written frequently lately,
we'll know a lot more in a couple of years.

Yes, anecdotes of harm go round as well, of people who took
the stuff without medical supervision and killed themselves
with it.

It is *always* a bad idea to propose some medicine to the
public rather than proposing medicine to doctors who
prescribe it to sufferers.

Uh, that was a murder. She poisoned her husband (once for
practice and recently fatal on the second adventure)

Prescription of hydrochloroqine implicated in death by heart
failure last occurred about 10 years ago despite some
300,000 maintenance prescriptions among Lupus sufferers.

https://www.hopkinslupus.org/lupus-t...alarial-drugs/

Note condraindications are after sustained use for years.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Hydroxychloroquine may be safe and effective in COVID-19 patients, but we -- meaning us people on this NG -- don't know. The FDA, CDC, NIH have the research and adverse incident reports. Real scientific-like people will make the determination.

Presidents touting an untried drug leads to: (1) people killing themselves with fish medicine or knock-off drugs sold on the internet, (2) hoarding, (3) inflated expectations of miracle cures, and (4) distraction from proven therapies. You don't just throw **** out to make a media splash.

-- Jay Beattie.

Well, we do know, if we care to look at the literature on
hydroxychloroquine, that it includes the statement:
"Call a poison control center at once and then seek emergency medical
attention if you think you have used too much of this medicine. An
overdose of hydroxychloroquine can be fatal"
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 9th 20, 04:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 2:24:14 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 10:51:40 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

What you mean is that YOU don't know and are intent on remaining that way.. If I hadn't actually looked it up how do you think that I would know the actual recommended dosages for Malaria, Lupus and covid-19.

Oh, that's right, I'm bull****ting you because you say so.

Not because I say so, because you demonstrate a fundamental lack of understanding of most things -- from simple Di2 installation to economics to medicine. You are a reliable source of unreliable information. You read a couple of internet articles and think you know virtually everything about everything.

I'm willing to admit that there are real-live medical professionals that actually know stuff about virology and cellular metabolism and the actual mechanism of action for Hydroxychloroquine. Read this and then send us an explanation of why it works to prevent the replication of certain viruses: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8278823 This should be well within your high school science education.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 9th 20, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 20:07:12 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

[...]

But Tommy told us that he didn't finish high school :-(
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 9th 20, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ychloroquine-/

Old April 9th 20, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:
[...]

Hmmm. Did Trump write the prescription? These stories -- on both sides (e.g. fish medicine death) -- are stupid. She should credit her doctor, if anyone. I credit Oregon Pinot Noir for my rapid recovery from a near-death pulmonary embolism -- that and heparin. In days of yore, presidents were not trying to take credit for prescribing cures. They ran the country and medical experts worked behind the scenes on therapies. Trump is such an attention junkie that all these formerly mundane medical questions and investigations have to be his inventions and discoveries. Thank you Dear Leader for curing my blindness!

My father was a pharmacist and I grew up working in a drug store. I discovered penicillin . . . on the shelf, along with a bunch of other drugs. I should be president! And more to the point, my grandfather discovered the largest stands of cinchona (source of quinine) during WW II. He was a quinine hero! https://naturalhistory.si.edu/resear...chona-missions BTW, his greatest stories from that adventure were about having a 30 foot tapeworm. More reason I should be president.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 9th 20, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 8:07:15 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

What I can say about you is that you are a reliable source for providing information that you have no understanding of but which you believe contradicts me.

All that source said is that IF that is an anti-inflammatory it operates more slowly the glucosteroids or non-steroidal anti-inflamatories. You continually miss things such as

"It is proposed that the antirheumatic properties of these compounds results from their interference with "antigen processing" in macrophages and other antigen-presenting cells."

This means that none of their personal beliefs have been tested or that the tests that oppose their opinions haven't been substantiates with further studies.

Lupus and Arthritis are diseases that are caused by inflammation due to the immune system responses. So, hydroxychloroquine either reduces inflation (which it absolutely does in the cases of covid-19 causes ARDS or it has another pathway that accomplishes the same thing.

There is nothing that you won't argue about simply because you don't like me and will, like News18 - some stupid foreigner arguing about Trump's worth - say absolutely anything in an attempt to discredit me. You have never worked in these areas and I have. You have never been a scientist for one day of your life and I have spend 50 years in the field. Unlike Frank who simply tries to discredit my experience by saying that he doesn't believe it as if I could care what he thinks, you want to suggest I don't know what I'm talking about by putting put absolute idiocy that you can't even understand..

I will say it again, it is pretty plain why you never made Partner in the firm. Your legal mind has a lot of gaps.
Old April 9th 20, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 10:05:18 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Hmmm. I've been getting a K-1 for 27 years. Must be a mistake. And you're wrong about the mechanism of Chloroquine as a treatment for coronavirus. Read this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7102587/

According to your CV, you were a tech and not a "scientist." No college and relatively brief employments at a collection of employers. I see nothing indicating any education in cellular biology. Am I missing something?

-- Jay Beattie.

Levi Clearly States His Status Re Radio Shack DA74 Racing 7 August 3rd 09 09:53 PM
Evolution "status" Jkohse Unicycling 15 February 7th 08 01:31 AM
"John "Cho" Gilmer keeps publishing his "Manifesto" over and over." Hoodini Racing 0 April 23rd 07 12:38 AM
Anyone know the status of "extension of the Wenatchee bike trail Loop? Angilina Rides 1 April 9th 06 05:25 AM
R.I.P. Jim Price (aka. "biker_billy", "sydney", "Boudreaux") spin156 Techniques 15 November 28th 05 08:21 PM