Slow leak--arrrrrgh!

Old July 22nd 04, 04:17 AM
Luigi de Guzman

Default Slow leak--arrrrrgh!

So my front tire went flat again, due to a slow leak

I had thought that I'd fixed the puncture in question, but, no, a
corner of the patch hadn't stuck onto the tube properly, so was
causing a slow leak.

I'm just annoyed as all hell, because now since it's *badly* patched,
the leak is irreparable--the bits of the patch that I stuck on
CORRECTLY went on when they were supposed to, and can't be torn free
from the tube for love or money.

Ugh. You live, you learn.

-Luigi
Old July 22nd 04, 05:19 AM
Jeff Starr

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:17:03 -0400, Luigi de Guzman
wrote:

So my front tire went flat again, due to a slow leak

I had thought that I'd fixed the puncture in question, but, no, a
corner of the patch hadn't stuck onto the tube properly, so was
causing a slow leak.

I'm just annoyed as all hell, because now since it's *badly* patched,
the leak is irreparable--the bits of the patch that I stuck on
CORRECTLY went on when they were supposed to, and can't be torn free
from the tube for love or money.

Ugh. You live, you learn.

-Luigi

Hi, I see these posts often and I don't understand why some people
have problems. I patched a tube today and in its place installed
another patched tube.

I know it has been described before, by those with more experience
than I, but Here is how I do it. I sand an area much larger than the
size of the patch. The same with the glue, I always cover a larger
area. Today, because I was home and could wash up, I used my finger to
spread the glue evenly. I wait until the glue is dry and apply the
patch. I try to use a flat surface, where I can press the patch down
evenly, with decent pressure. I press and hold it tight for probably
30-60 seconds. Done!

I have been using the Park Tool patches because that is what my LBS
carries, although today I used the kit that came with my NashbarBig
Tool Kit 2.

Why do you think your patch didn't hold?

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old July 22nd 04, 05:32 AM
bentbrian

Luigi de Guzman Wrote:
So my front tire went flat again, due to a slow leak

I had thought that I'd fixed the puncture in question, but, no, a
corner of the patch hadn't stuck onto the tube properly, so was
causing a slow leak.

I'm just annoyed as all hell, because now since it's *badly* patched,
the leak is irreparable--the bits of the patch that I stuck on
CORRECTLY went on when they were supposed to, and can't be torn free
from the tube for love or money.

Ugh. You live, you learn.

-Luigi

Carry a spare tube. It is cheap insurance. If you mess up patching one
you still have a spare. I've had problems of developing slow leaks in
the tubes on my old Trek road bike (aluminum rims and presta valves).
The leak starts where the valve stem passes through the rim. I've
de-burred the rim holes. The only fix I've been able to come up with is
cutting a hole in a patch and placing the patch over the valve stem
before I put the stem through the hole in the rim. I leave the outside
lock nut on the valve stem loose. So far no more problems. The rims on
my 'bent are slightly different (still aluminum rims and presta
valves), the valve stem hole is nicely machined and the valve stem fits
like a glove. I've also had the presta valves leak a little even when
the valve mechanism locking nut is tightened down (so far not on the
'bent though).

'bent Brian

--
bentbrian

Old July 22nd 04, 06:11 AM
Luigi de Guzman

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:19:23 -0500, Jeff Starr
wrote:

Why do you think your patch didn't hold?

Didn't sand a large enough area of the tube. That's easily seen.

Yes, I know. I'm an idiot.

-Luigi
Old July 22nd 04, 07:32 AM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:17:03 -0400,
, Luigi de Guzman
wrote:

I'm just annoyed as all hell, because now since it's *badly* patched,
the leak is irreparable--the bits of the patch that I stuck on
CORRECTLY went on when they were supposed to, and can't be torn free
from the tube for love or money.

Ugh. You live, you learn.

In a recent protracted thread about patches, Jobst Brandt divulged
that patches can be removed with heat. I tried it on trashed tube and
it works a treat.
So, for love, your mom will let you use her iron. For money you can
buy your own at the thrift store.
A fairly hot setting will soften the glue sufficiently to remove the
patch easily.
--
zk
Old July 22nd 04, 02:09 PM
Jeff Starr

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:32:44 -0700, Zoot Katz
wrote:

Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:17:03 -0400,
, Luigi de Guzman
wrote:

I'm just annoyed as all hell, because now since it's *badly* patched,
the leak is irreparable--the bits of the patch that I stuck on
CORRECTLY went on when they were supposed to, and can't be torn free
from the tube for love or money.

Ugh. You live, you learn.

In a recent protracted thread about patches, Jobst Brandt divulged
that patches can be removed with heat. I tried it on trashed tube and
it works a treat.
So, for love, your mom will let you use her iron. For money you can
buy your own at the thrift store.
A fairly hot setting will soften the glue sufficiently to remove the
patch easily.

How about heat gun or hair dryer?

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old July 22nd 04, 02:35 PM
Pbwalther

Why do you think your patch didn't hold?

Didn't sand a large enough area of the tube. That's easily seen.

Yes, I know. I'm an idiot.

-Luigi

A friend of mine told me that the reason you sand the tube is to remove a
powdery chemical residue from the tube. He claims that when tubes are made,
the chemical is put in the mold to allow the tubes to be removed easily. The
problem is that the glue for patches will not work on the residue. The residue
has to be removed first and that is done by sanding. I understand that you can
also remove it by using a little acetone. I have tried it and it seem to work
great. Of course, I still sand the tube just in case. Nothing like having a
backup.
Old July 22nd 04, 05:30 PM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:09:47 -0500,
, Jeff Starr
wrote:

A fairly hot setting will soften the glue sufficiently to remove the
patch easily.

How about heat gun or hair dryer?

How about you tell us?

I used a 165 watt heat sealing iron.

Lacking anything more sophisticated, I'd try an incandescent bulb.
--
zk
Old July 22nd 04, 07:49 PM
Jeff Starr

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:30:37 -0700, Zoot Katz
wrote:

Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:09:47 -0500,
, Jeff Starr
wrote:

A fairly hot setting will soften the glue sufficiently to remove the
patch easily.

How about heat gun or hair dryer?

How about you tell us?

If I knew, why would I ask the question? I thought that you might
know how much heat, it actually took.

I used a 165 watt heat sealing iron.

Lacking anything more sophisticated, I'd try an incandescent bulb.

Wel, if you think a light bulb would work, then my guess is that a
heat gun would do just fine.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Old July 22nd 04, 08:11 PM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:49:48 -0500,
, Jeff Starr
wrote:

How about heat gun or hair dryer?

How about you tell us?

If I knew, why would I ask the question? I thought that you might
know how much heat, it actually took.

Uncomfortably hot to the touch.

I used a 165 watt heat sealing iron.

Lacking anything more sophisticated, I'd try an incandescent bulb.

Wel, if you think a light bulb would work, then my guess is that a
heat gun would do just fine.

I have neither a heat gun or hair dryer. If you do, try it.

I just tried a 75 watt light bulb. It did the job.
--
zk

ARRRRRGH Luigi de Guzman General 65 April 30th 04 03:35 AM
Not all crashes occur in slow motion Sandy Christmus General 11 September 23rd 03 04:13 PM