Mini pump with or without a hose

Old November 14th 19, 06:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Mini pump with or without a hose

On 11/13/2019 1:15 AM, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello all,

I am about to replace my mini pump with one that I would be able to
attach to the frame, and that would, hopefully, be more efficient.

While the old-fashioned mini pumps have a flexible hose, some of the
more recent ones do not. I have the impression that a flexible hose is
useful to avoid damaging the valve, but I wonder if this does not
degrades the performance (by which I mean, the ability to inflate a tire
to a correct pressure without excessive effort).

Do you have any advice on this matter?

I bought several of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/233342509995 back
when Amazon was selling them for a little less. I wanted a pump short
enough to fit in a seat bag, that was not plastic, and that could go to
at least 100psi
Old November 15th 19, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doc O'Leary[_21_]

For your reference, records indicate that
Tanguy Ortolo wrote:

I have the impression that a flexible hose is
useful to avoid damaging the valve, but I wonder if this does not
degrades the performance (by which I mean, the ability to inflate a tire
to a correct pressure without excessive effort).

It’s not like the hose gets “inflated” by any appreciable amount. It
represents a small volume of air, which likely can be filled to the
tire’s final pressure in one or two pumps. If that’s too much extra
effort compared to all the other pumping you have to do to fill a tire,
consider going with CO2 cartridges as others have suggested.

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly

Old November 15th 19, 08:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2019-11-13, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:

I am about to replace my mini pump with one that I would be able to
attach to the frame, and that would, hopefully, be more efficient.

While the old-fashioned mini pumps have a flexible hose, some of the
more recent ones do not. I have the impression that a flexible hose is
useful to avoid damaging the valve, but I wonder if this does not
degrades the performance (by which I mean, the ability to inflate a tire
to a correct pressure without excessive effort).

Tanguy,

The hose-based mini pumps all have the same problem. Since they
screw onto your valve, when you remove the pump after inflation,
they tend to unscrew the Presta valva core from the tube. This
causes immediate and total deflation.

(I've just read the marketing copy for one of this style pump,
which says:
"Nervous about unthreading that valve when removing the
pump? Enter one of the Core Slim's awesome features: the Presta
Valve Tool. Simply unthread the tool from the back of the pump
and tighten your valve prior to threading the hose on."
)

The counter-problem is that pumps which don't thread onto the valve
must be held there, and held steadily to avoid bending or breaking
the Presta valve core. This is not difficult, but it is a skill of
cycling which demands a reasonable technique throughout the course
of pumping, instead of getting manic and applying force at a weird
angle.

So, choose your poison.

Away from the shop, unless I'm pumping up fatbike tires or skinny
road tires, I tend to carry this pump[1]. It presses onto the valve,
is pocketable, switchable from high-volume to high-pressure, and thus
will inflate both a 2.3" MTB tire and a 28mm cross tire. The price
you pay for its size is bicep development, as you'll be pumping a lot
of strokes. It's a steady and effective pump despite that.

[1] https://www.blackburndesign.com/p/ai...bike-mini-pump

(N.B.: it's Presta-only.)

-G
--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/
Old November 18th 19, 05:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 16/11/19 6:23 am, Gregory Sutter wrote:
On 2019-11-13, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:

[...]

Some valves do not appear to have a removable core, and as such this
problem is non existent for them.

I have used my screw on pump hose on many inner tubes and never
experienced the core getting unscrewed.

Also, my mini pump hose can be used as a screw on or push on by using
the other end of the hose. Both ends of the hose can be attached to the
pump, and each end has a different attachment to the valve.

--
JS

Removing crimped hose from Medai pump BCDrums Techniques 18 October 20th 13 10:37 PM
mini mini pump recommendation needed Simon Lewis Techniques 31 March 27th 10 08:19 AM
minoura floor pump hose cliff Techniques 7 May 18th 08 08:10 PM
track pump hose? Ian Smith UK 3 January 23rd 06 06:51 PM
WTB: Medai pump hose kluke Marketplace 1 October 13th 03 09:57 PM