Bar tape?

Old January 9th 21, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N[_2_]

Default Bar tape?

time to retape... for some reason today I felt like playing with my Cannondale... I don't remember what bar tape is on it but it's literally disintegrating. Meanwhile, the Velox cloth tape on my Trek that I put on there when I "restomodded" it years and many miles ago (that is undoubtedly older than the tape on the Cannondale) is a faded tan color (was black when I put it on LOL) but is in fine shape otherwise.

Is it wrong to put cloth tape on a "modern" (sheeeit, it's gotta be close to 15 years old now) bike?

I see searching that now there are options. When I built the Trek, the only game there was was Velox Tressostar, of which I'm obviously a big fan, but wish that a roll was just a tiny bit longer. Now I see there's "Newbaum's" as the first thing that comes up searching for cloth bar tape. Opinions?

Any more modern styles I should look at or just say screw it and use what I know works?
Old January 9th 21, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N[_2_]

On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 1:47:09 PM UTC-5, N8N wrote:
[...]

After searching for reviews of Newbaum's I saw mention of the tape that I used on the Cannondale that jogged my memory, it is Fizik. I liked how it felt fine, but it did curl up on the edges unlike cloth.
Old January 12th 21, 06:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 10/1/21 5:53 am, N8N wrote:
[...]

Where I ride the bitumen is rough and the weather is often warm and
humid. I've found Lizard Skin bar tape is good for my riding conditions.

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/lizard-...oducte=9829393

--
JS
Old January 12th 21, 10:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op dinsdag 12 januari 2021 om 07:12:58 UTC+1 schreef James:
On 10/1/21 5:53 am, N8N wrote:
[...]

I used that tape after installing new cables on one of my bikes. Nice thick tape that is very easy to wrap. A little expensive but I think it will last a long time.

Lou
Old January 12th 21, 03:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 1/9/2021 10:47 AM, N8N wrote:

snip

Any more modern styles I should look at or just say screw it and use what I know works?

Foam grips are making a comeback. I remember these from the 1970's.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AO5K42. You can put bar tape over the
foam grips to keep them from deteriorating. You'll need two sets of bar
tape due to the added thickness of the foam
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AO5K42.
Old January 12th 21, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On 10/1/21 5:53 am, N8N wrote:
[...]

Indeed, most of the copies do not stretch and you cannot get them to lie flat. In this case the expense is worth it.
Old January 12th 21, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 10/1/21 5:53 am, N8N wrote:
[...]

I've had good luck with this mid-priced Arundel tape: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...ar-tape?sg=500 On sale at BikeTires Direct (sister company of Western Bikeworks). One of the commenters on the site didn't like the repeating name graphic, but the graphic is basically a guide, and you wrap the tape so that you lap over the graphic. It's the same color as the tape, so if it peeks out, you can't see it. My bars look great, and the stuff is really durable, and it has a light-mid cushion feel and good wet weather grip. I'd buy again. The Lizard Skin and Fizik are nice, but the top end stuff is ungodly expensive. I'm done with cork. I blow through it, and its not great in rain.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 13th 21, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On 10/1/21 5:53 am, N8N wrote:
[...]

I've never seen Rubber Gecko. I might try it. Now because most of my bikes are using integrated bars, I only install the tape on the drops.
Old January 24th 21, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N[_2_]

On 10/1/21 5:53 am, N8N wrote:
[...]

Might have to try that. I liked the Fizik but it's literally disintegrating, although really it must be 6-7 years old now and the last couple years that bike was in an unconditioned storage locker.

Now I guess let's try another question. I like taping from the ends up, although that means by necessity I will have to finish the tape with electrical tape or similar at the stem. My reasoning for doing so is that when I'm on the drops, my hands will not be trying to curl up the exposed edges of the tape. Arguments for doing it the other way?
Old January 24th 21, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N[_2_]

On 10/1/21 5:53 am, N8N wrote:
[...]

I just looked it up and they sell a Rubber Gecko and also a "Synth Gecko" I'm assuming you used the former?

Anyone tried glass reinforced packing tape as rim tape? Martyn Aldis Techniques 21 May 8th 06 05:19 PM
Rim Tape v. Elec Tape trailguy Unicycling 11 December 2nd 05 05:10 AM
bar tape Steve Watkin UK 2 August 6th 04 05:48 PM
Duct tape for holding rim tape or in leu of rim tape? meb Techniques 21 August 4th 04 09:23 PM
rim tape davek UK 19 April 27th 04 07:18 AM