another cycling success of Brexit

Old January 13th 21, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default another cycling success of Brexit

https://cyclingindustry.news/campagn...mid-confusion/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 13th 21, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Wednesday, January 13, 2021 at 7:23:40 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/campagn...mid-confusion/

As well as the Potenza group being MUCH cheaper than the Record group, it is much more reliable aluminum construction and is the only Campy group available with a triple and/or a rear derailleur capable of accepting a 32 tooth cassette.

While Shimano has engineering professionalism, Campy is artistic to a fault.. Yesterday I used my Colnago which has Di2 and it started skipping gears. Now this might have been because I have a 10 speed crank but I doubt that. I realigned the rear derailleur after I got home and it appears to work fine though I will have to take it for a hard ride to tell. Also - When I installed the Di2 I ran the wire from the opening on the left side of the top tube, over and down the downtube as the diagrams for Di2 suggested. I believe that the better choice would have been to run it back to the seat tube and down to the derailleur splitter.

Now we do not know for certain but it appears that the 2021 Di2 is going to be wireless since they are losing a great deal of business to SRAM since it is so much simpler to install.
Old January 13th 21, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op woensdag 13 januari 2021 om 18:02:15 UTC+1 schreef :
On Wednesday, January 13, 2021 at 7:23:40 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/campagn...mid-confusion/

As well as the Potenza group being MUCH cheaper than the Record group, it is much more reliable aluminum construction and is the only Campy group available with a triple and/or a rear derailleur capable of accepting a 32 tooth cassette.

Huh? My 11 speed Super Record RD is capable of accepting a 32 toot cassette. It is on my climbing bike so it is 'tested' thoroughly. ;-)

Lou
Old January 13th 21, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/13/2021 11:02 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Potenza is discontinued; use current Centaur[1]
There are no triples.
All the Campagnolo road series have a 32t low gear option.

You might enjoy this web page:
https://www.campagnolo.com

For some clever Italian engineering, how about a sprocket
stiffener on the low gear which obviates a chain between low
gear and spokes?

https://www.bike-components.de/cache...565156894.jpeg

Some of us have waited for that all our lives.

[1] same except the new CEN crank is slightly heavier.

Old January 13th 21, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Wednesday, January 13, 2021 at 10:11:28 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Well I see that the 2021 Record 12 speed manual groups now support 11-34 cassettes, but the 2020 rear derailleur I had would not. I was under the impression that the only arm length of a Record was short and medium and both would drag against anything larger than a 29 tooth cassette sprocket. My friend who was going to buy a Record group for his New custom Tommassini bought a Potenza group instead because he could not get a sufficient gear ratio for him and his wife to climb those terrible hills around Phoenix. (I can't climb very fast anymore but riding with that group made me feel like I was 21 on the rare climbs of more than 3%.)
Old January 14th 21, 08:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, January 13, 2021 at 11:02:15 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 13, 2021 at 7:23:40 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/campagn...mid-confusion/

As well as the Potenza group being MUCH cheaper than the Record group, it is much more reliable aluminum construction and is the only Campy group available with a triple and/or a rear derailleur capable of accepting a 32 tooth cassette.

While Shimano has engineering professionalism, Campy is artistic to a fault. Yesterday I used my Colnago which has Di2 and it started skipping gears..

Skipping gears on Di2? Have no idea what you are talking/writing about. I have 7970 on one bike. Now over a DECADE old. It has worked perfectly from the day I installed it. Those Japs know electronic bike shifters.

Old January 14th 21, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Wednesday, January 13, 2021 at 11:22:24 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

Both my Colnago Dura Ace Di2 and the Trek Emonda Ultegra Di2 have had to be adjusted after awhile. Since the Ultegra was set-up by a shop that did a lot of that I can only assume that there is a bedding in period. Though the externals Dura Ace Di2 on the steel Lemond Zurich still shifts perfectly (that was a used set I bought from CCC). And the set of R875 or whatever the number was that included hydraulic disks never required any adjustment.
Old January 14th 21, 08:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Thursday, January 14, 2021 at 4:47:49 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I can't think of any bedding in mechanism. My Di2 adjustment on my cross bike is spot on for almost 7 years now. On another bike I only have to tweak the adjustment 2 micro steps after installing of another wheelset. Skipping after an adjustment? Not here.

Lou
Old January 15th 21, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, January 14, 2021 at 11:25:51 AM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

With that in mind I suspect that the gears in the derailleurs require bedding in on some of the mechanisms. After re-zeroing it, it works fine. On the Colnago, when I returned I noticed that the under-bar unit had come unconnected from the holder. I can't see how it could have been placed into a mode of adjustment in that manner or how it could have been removed from that state without purposely pushing that button since it is so difficult to push in the first place.